The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
wilberweb

55 Chevy truck dash removal

Hi, guys
whats the best way to remove a dash assembly from the cab, and remove the
whole dash. In my parts book it shows all the welds, it looks like they are located along the lower windshield lip.I just assume that you drill all the spot welds, up by the windshield bottom lip and remove the welds along the two outside edges by the two doors, I never removed the dash I was wondering if any one has don it and if its difficult?
here is a picture of my project.

thanks
-Larry
wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: 55 Chevy truck dash removal

Why do you want to remove it? They make patch panels to repair and smooth them if that is your intention. If it is to replace with one out of a different vehicle I don't know of any that are a direct fit.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I think" Kabwe" has done it, that guy can do anything. PM him or look up his build "my55/58 chevy build" (man I hope I wrote that right)

My F.B. project page.

Last edited by fabguy; 12-10-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
wilberweb

I am removing it to get to the rust behind the dash and the cab potion the part you can't get to.Mostly to remove the rust.The dash is in good shape. its smooth with no dents that I can see at this moment.

-Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Kim57

Here's a link to Kabwes build (it's in the "Projects and Builds" section). He put a dash from a 55 car in his so the process might be a little different.
Kim
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318301
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
I think" Kabwe" has done it, that guy can do anything. PM him or look up his build "my55/58 chevy build" (man I hope I wrote that right)
Not quite my friend, but thanks for the vote of confidence.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberweb View Post
I am removing it to get to the rust behind the dash and the cab potion the part you can't get to.Mostly to remove the rust.The dash is in good shape. its smooth with no dents that I can see at this moment.

-Larry
Why don't you save yourself some work and just have the cab media blasted? To remove the dash just to remove rust seems like over kill. You have a couple of options. One clean that area by hand then cover with a rust converter yes its a lot of work but it will be fine. Two just plan on having the whole cab media blasted.

I think to remove a dash to remove rust, just to weld the same dash back in is a little drastic, but that's just my opinion. I would just have the cab media blasted and prime it and move on, but that's just me.

Now to answer your question I cut my dash out along the trim of the windshield, but I did it to put a whole other dash in.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
wilberweb

I see... its a lot of work to remove the dash to get all the rust, so media blasting will get all the rust behind the dash? I don't want to take the dash out if I don't need to. I will just clean behind it and call it good. thanks for the advice.

-Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Blast what you can and POR 15 the back side. Look for pin holes in the inner cowl. they tend to rot at the bends where it meets the kick panel area
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
wilberweb

I will look for that as well, several years ago I had my 55 ford sand blasted just the frame the cab was rust free, so I am new to media blasting is that the same as sand? or is it a softer. Are you referring to media to soda or is that a broad term for blasting.I am new to this kind of body work so forgive me for being ignorant.Just learning all the lingo. I see that you guy have a lot of experience at this kind of work. I am looking forward to learning all I can. Its a lot to take in.
Great forum

-Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man there is no need to apologize for not knowing something, we all have learning curves at one time or another. There are those that think they know everything and I simply don't ask or respond when I feel that's the case because its just a waste of time. What can you tell someone thats knows everything.lol

Anyway, when I use the term media blasting I use it because people use different media to blast be it sand, glass bead, walnut, soda, etc. Some media does not remove rust. I use the term media because I notice people jump down your throat if they don't agree with the media you use, some hate blasting altogether. I have never had and issue going to the place I go. They use this really fine sand that almost looks like brown powder to blast cars for rust I forgot the name of it. I will give you this advice go to a place that blast cars and know what they are doing before you hand over your pride and joy. Also get some references from people who used them. Thats whats great about going to car shows and meet and greets you can meet people that know good places to go. I don't trust the company's references I want to talk to the guy on the street, because an unhappy customer loves to talk about places that suck.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
wilberweb

Right on Kabwe.. Thanks for the clarification. And thank for the advice on the media blasting,
I will be sure to ask a lot of questions I have heard a lot of stories on some bad things that can happen. but that's on hoods and large surface areas not fenders and cabs.
but its good to be safe then buying new parts.

-Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Yeah man be safe and only do what your comfort level tells you. If you don't trust it don't do it. I found a place I trust so I'm cool with it, but the first time I did it I was nervous, but I knew I wanted it done.lol If you decide to have it blasted just stay with people with experience is CARS thats very in important. I don't care what else they blasted if their main business is not cars I can't deal with them.

Here is a pic of my cab when I picked it up.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
wilberweb

Wow!!! that looks real nice, I like the way that turned out.
I have a friend that restores a lot of cars I will ask him who he uses, if he blasts his bodies
or dips them. who he would recommend for blasting.

-Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Friends are always a good place to start. If you decide to dip, just like blasting can have ill affect so can dipping so read up on it and do what you are comfortable with. If you have any questions about something I've done, feel free to pm me or post in my thread. I usually don't give advice unless I'm asked or its a general question, because I want to avoid pissing contest.lol I only responded here because my name was mentioned. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Let me know how it worked out

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
wilberweb

Thanks.. I have decided to media blast I am going to get advice on who to use local I like the way your truck turned out. I have followed your post great job on your truck. thanks for all the advice. I will probably have some more post as well thanks for the PM invite and thanks to every one that posted a reply as well thanks again.

-Larry