The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
TwoFiftyShifter

Need seat help, too many options!

Didn't want to make a new thread, becuase a good amount of topics came up on the search, but after reading them I still don't know which direction to go. Anyways this is my first hotrod build, I hate the feel of bench seats and will not be using the stock one in my 64, so I want a set of buckets. I'm kinda picky in the fact that I don't cloth, and I want a lowback style if possible.

I figure I can get any seats becuase they will all require modification to bolt in and thats fine. I'm kinda large at 6'1 and will be keeping the gas tank in the cab, which should make it tougher. I've been eyeing some older buckets from a 67 firebird, have a line on a pair in decent shape for $200 but the driver side needs a cover. Thinking about it now, they may be way to small and look weird becuase of it. A guy I know is trying to sell a pair of leather buckets from a 2003 Ford Explorer and said hed give em to me for $200 as well and am thinking they may be a better overall size. Also, I have a 1979 K10 parts truck that has factory buckets and console that I could use, but I'd like to spend $400 maximum, and those seats will need covers and possibly new foam on the drivers side, and I'm thinking that may cost alot to get done.

The other option I'm contemplating is going aftermarket, and am looking at these scat lowbacks that I belive markeb01 and lakeroadster used, they would run me about 450 shipped which would be the most expensive part of my build so far, including the purchase price of the truck

http://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/80-14...0002/-1?CT=999

Any opinions on what I should do?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
rbar

Re: Need seat help, too many options!

I kind of like the look of those seats your talking about. As far as the gas tank, I put a set of 2006 Chevy buckets with the center console in my 63. What I found was that the tank was not stopping me from moving back further, it was where the top of the seat hits the back of the cab. Maybe other seats would go back further without the tank, but not in my case. I took the tank out of my 65 thinking it would give me more room, but if not, at least I got rid of the smell, sloshing sound, and have room for other things behind the seats.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If money was no object my first choice would have been 1964 Impala (or similar) bucket seats.

I would have changed the upholstery pattern, but always loved the looks of the chrome band over the back (even though it will badly burn your arm on a hot day). In addition to the expense and lack of availability, bucket seats with an adjustable backrest are mandatory for me because of degenerative discs and chronic back pain.

I originally installed Recaro SE seats in my 1960 and although they didn’t fit the image I wanted, they were very comfortable – for about 3 years. Overnight they became so painful I could no longer drive the truck. That’s when I switched to the Scat/Procar Lowback seats. I lost the exact installation date in a computer crash, but it was around 10 years ago. The truck was my daily driver for about 8 of those years (72 miles a day), and they remain as comfortable today as they were when new. They may be a bit on the smallish side from a styling standpoint, but for value, comfort, durability, and being brand new, I just don’t think there’s a better bargain available.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
....... I've been eyeing some older buckets from a 67 firebird, have a line on a pair in decent shape for $200 but the driver side needs a cover. Thinking about it now, they may be way to small and look weird becuase of it........ Any opinions on what I should do?
I would agree that the '67 Firebird buckets will look to small. The base and seat back thickness is pretty thin. That being said it would give you a bit more room behind the wheel. "Big Car Buckets" look best in these trucks.

As you eluded to I am running the Scat seats. For me it was an easy decision, by the time I located a stock set of buckets and restored them I would have had more money in them than buying these new. And I have never liked late model OEM high back buckets in these trucks.... seeing seat backs through the back windows just destroys the old school look of these trucks, IMO.

One modification that will help alot in reference to space and driver comfort is an aftermarket steering wheel. The stock wheels have a lot of dish, if you pick an aftermarket wheel that is flatter that equates to more space for you.

One final comment: Having the tank in the cab doesn't really effect seat location. The top of the seat back hits the double wall cab back before the lower seat hits the tank.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 12-13-2010 at 08:58 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
rbar

I agree that late model seats being taller than the window is not appealig. On the 2006 Chevy seats I put in my 63, I like to run them without the head rests and then you don't see them with the small window. I am wondering with the big window if I will see the seat belt mount that sits above the seat back, but I can soon find out. I also have a set of 1997 Pontiac Bonneville seats that I bought back in 1999 and have stored since (wife's impressed). I saw a set of these in a 1957 Chevy truck that had been redone in leather. I was impressed with them and asked the owner what they were. Without the head rests they are a nice low back with a nice stitch design in them. I don't have the pontiac seat pics handy, but here's the 2006 Chevy truck seats.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
iiizman

Anybody remember the seats that were low buckets and you could turn it to the door and get out. I know the tall fellas used them, but I can't remember what they came in.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
63whoopie

The seats to which iiizman is referring came in select '73 through ? nice model chevelle's (lagunas etc), el caminos, maybe some BOP cars? They look cool, but are higher-backed, I believe.
63whoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
63whoopie

P.S. rbar- I really like those seats and have been looking for some to go in my truck. I've heard they fit very well? I can't decide between the light or the dark gray ones.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiizman View Post
Anybody remember the seats that were low buckets and you could turn it to the door and get out. I know the tall fellas used them, but I can't remember what they came in.
I have always seen them in first gen Monte Carlos.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
gulffishin

I know this probably isn't what you are looking for, but this is what I am using at the moment. I started with the stock bench, but I wanted something that could be adjusted easier so I bought a set of 40/20/40 seats out of a 2003 Sierra with the integrated seatbelts, but the seatbacks were too thick and had to be sat straight up and down for me to have enough legroom (fuel tank moved to the back). After a year or so I took them out and bought a power leather 60/40 bench seat with the fold down console out of a 98 Silverado extended cab and have been pretty happy with it. It's pretty comfortable the headrests just stick up over the bbw and I have more room to recline the seats.

here are some pics:
Attached Images

gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
andyh1956

i am going to use the seats & console from a '73 blazer. i have a '87 caprice police car seat in the cab now, and while it fits & sits fine it is too short length wise & looks a little funny.
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
rbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63whoopie View Post
P.S. rbar- I really like those seats and have been looking for some to go in my truck. I've heard they fit very well? I can't decide between the light or the dark gray ones.
They fit and are very comfortable. However, like gulffishin said, the backs are thicker than a bench and you lose leg room. The other problem I had was with the center console. It wants to sit up higher than the buckets because of the center hump, so I made some brackets to set the buckets on to get the heights the same. I planned on these seats for my 65, so if I follow through with putting them in there, I will lose the brackets under the buckets I added and just modify the center console.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
gulffishin

Yeah, if you go with the 40/20/40 with the integrated belts I suggest getting the ones with the jump seat in the center that folds down with a console inside it. The set I had came from a work truck and just had a fixed jump seat. Like rbar said they are very comfortable seats with good support and if I didn't have a 34" inseam they would still be in my truck.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #14
63whoopie

That's great info, thank you both. My only problem is that I'm worried about being able to install this and retain the shifter for the 6-speed I'm planning on installing. I haven't seen anyone on the board with a 40/20/40 seat and a manual shifter, esp with a LS engine setback.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
jimmydean

I am torn between the new body style Silverado (07+) 40/20/40 and something more classy. It will be a game day call once I have the coin to spend.

The newer body style isn't as thick in the back, so they fit well and look great.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote