The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
wigadore

Steering Column

It is time for me to look at purchasing a steering column for my 1949 GMC Pickup. I have seen many different applications in some of the builds here so I thought I would ask the members...what steering column have you used in your build and why did you choose it?

I have been looking as a Flaming River or Ididit aftermarket columns, but I know there are many I could use from the wreckers that would be cheaper and probably just as good. Your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

A lack of planning on your part...
...does not constitute and emergency on mine.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
cajundragger

Re: Steering Column

I had a roadster column from ididit.

I bought it cause it was inexpensive, no tilt, straight, internal self canceling blinkers, and it looks nice.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
BigJock

I used a Mid 80s Caddy tilt/tele column in my '50, apart from altering the shifter linkage slightly it wasn't too bad a fit.
Not the prettiest, but it works.......
BigJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
OrrieG

I used a 82 eldo tilt/tele too. the eldo columns are shorter, come with dimmer on the stalk (cleans uop the floor) and cruise wired too. I wanted the column shift, got tired of the kid in the middle seat kicking the floor shifter when we were off roading. Details are in my build thread. I kept the stock brake pedal and had to convert to cable shift linkage.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
mr48chev

I think it comes to your personal preference as to how "clean" you want your column or how many features you want on it. The Roadster style column is as clean as it gets but if you are taller or shorter than Joe Average Height it may not be the most comfortable wheel to drive with for long distances or if you are like Well Fed Fred you may have trouble getting in and out with the wheel in that position.

Then comes the issue of floor shifter or column shifter. And after that if you want the ignition lock on the column or in the dash or somewhere else.

The main thing is that what ever you put in there has to fit you right and be comfortable for you to drive with great looking or not.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
mylow53

i got to say i'm not impressed with the column that was installed on mine. If you hold the bottom end and rotate the s wheel theres a small amount of play. i think its from the tilt part of the column. since i had my guy buy this for me i don't know where he got it. I've been seriously thinking of replacing it with a better version. but untill i can touch it i don't think i could trust an online resource. anyone else have this issue?
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Scottshotrods

Ididit is the way to go period made in the u.s.a and they all come with a lifetime warranty and they use all gm internal made parts.We have great forum prices!
Justin

Last edited by Scottshotrods; 12-13-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: correct
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
wigadore

Quote:
I think it comes to your personal preference as to how "clean" you want your column or how many features you want on it. The Roadster style column is as clean as it gets but if you are taller or shorter than Joe Average Height it may not be the most comfortable wheel to drive with for long distances or if you are like Well Fed Fred you may have trouble getting in and out with the wheel in that position.

Then comes the issue of floor shifter or column shifter. And after that if you want the ignition lock on the column or in the dash or somewhere else.

The main thing is that what ever you put in there has to fit you right and be comfortable for you to drive with great looking or not.
Thanks mr48chev. That is some good info. I am 6'5" tall and I need the space to make driving this as comfortable as possible. I know I do not want a shifter on the floor so I am looking as a column shifter. Hard to buy and install a column for testing and return it if it does not work.

Quote:
i got to say i'm not impressed with the column that was installed on mine. If you hold the bottom end and rotate the s wheel theres a small amount of play. i think its from the tilt part of the column. since i had my guy buy this for me i don't know where he got it. I've been seriously thinking of replacing it with a better version. but untill i can touch it i don't think i could trust an online resource. anyone else have this issue?
GT
mylow53 - Do you know what kind of column that was installed in your ride?

Scottshotrods - I will PM you later for some quotes. I know for a paintable Ididit column I was quoted $813.00 and for a Stainless the quote was almost double. Flaming River was $750 for paintable and about $850 for Stainless. I wonder about the price difference between these two products.

A lack of planning on your part...
...does not constitute and emergency on mine.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigadore View Post
Thanks mr48chev. That is some good info. I am 6'5" tall and I need the space to make driving this as comfortable as possible. I know I do not want a shifter on the floor so I am looking as a column shifter. Hard to buy and install a column for testing and return it if it does not work.

mylow53 - Do you know what kind of column that was installed in your ride?

Scottshotrods - I will PM you later for some quotes. I know for a paintable Ididit column I was quoted $813.00 and for a Stainless the quote was almost double. Flaming River was $750 for paintable and about $850 for Stainless. I wonder about the price difference between these two products.
Just p/m you and you got alot better prices thru us
Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
mylow53

don't know who made it but it was a standard till column with a auto shifter pretty standard looking. all i'm saying is if theres a way to check it before you buy or install it...
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I cut off a stock column and made a bearing/bushing system and modified the shaft to accept the D from a later column and adapted it to a collapsable shaft into a GM steering box. I've got about $30 in it and from the inside, you can't tell.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Spackle100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
I cut off a stock column and made a bearing/bushing system and modified the shaft to accept the D from a later column and adapted it to a collapsable shaft into a GM steering box. I've got about $30 in it and from the inside, you can't tell.
Do you have pics of your bearing/bushing system?
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
cajundragger

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/09..._u_joints.html
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote