The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

Subframing a '49 1/2 ton

OK, been searching and reading like crazy on this subject. i know its been covered a gajabillion times, but here it is again!

I really want to subframe my '49. I know alot of people say that an after market "IFS kit" is best for these trucks, but i don't have that kind of budget in mind at all, ever.
Price diff for me is, i can pick up a late 70s/early 80s camaro/malibu/monte/whatever (whole car) for $400-$600.
there's a whole lot i can pull from a car like that for my use (engine, trans, seats, etc) can't beat a price like that.

I'm building a driver, not a show truck. just want some pep and decent handling. my fab skills are fine for this as well.
anyways,....
Ive read that the camaros/novas work well in some cases and have read that they're too wide in others?
Heard some saying a Monte has a more appropriate track width than camaros/novas? (i figured a monte was bigger than a camaro?)

I'm not interested in a s-10 frame swap either.

I looking for answers from people who have done the swap on an AD truck and any advice on track widths/other donar vehicles (besides camaro)
Or a list of track widths from other cars/trucks.
And what problems people have run into with "whatever" donar car.

Anything will help. Im ready to gut something and start transplanting!!!!
Just trying to do my research first!
Thanks,
Chris