The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
davidh

q's on swapping x members

Switching Halfton frontends. I have a low mileage 77chevy front end I want to put under my worn out 67 truck(front end). If I swap out entire front end X member, which idler arm do I use? 77 or 67? what other parts or interchanges do I need to be aware of? I will use the 77 propotioning valve and the 67 manual steering box. thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
dyrt

Re: q's on swapping x members

i am not speaking from experience because i swapped out the entire from suspension and steering including a later power steering box, but if i recall, there is a moog problem solver part that allows you to adapt the older steering linkage to the newer spindle. i can't remember if it is an entire outer tierod with the later balljoint to fit the later spindle and older threads to fit the older adjustment sleeve OR if it is a special adjustment sleeve with half new threads and half old threads so you can use a later tierod end. most people just swap the whole center link and all that, which case you use the entire later model steering setup including idler arm, inner and outer tierods,center link, etc. that is what i did. if you search for later model front crossmember or something of the sort you may come across a swap thread that will give you more info.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote