The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
larry may

Smile Need so help

I have an Elcamino. yes I still have my stepper. Anyway this El Camino is sporting a 425 hp bbc, and a 4 speed stock differential and coils. What I need is some feed back on this. To make this sucker hook and stop burning up the tires in every gear 4th included. Should I trash the coil springs, the stock shocks and use Koni coil overs , 411 with eaton posi or detroit locker. What tires and in your opinion with out spending a huge stash of cash . Would any of what I mentioned help to hook and save any time and work . No idea on the tires for the street and or strip. This is my last endeavor for play or resale. may be!Thanks Larry

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Need so help

There are a number of quick guys over at the El Camino section of Chevelles.com/forums, but all the rules of the normal A body apply. The early Caminos came with air shocks. If your trying to hook with air shocks,, FORGET IT it will never happen with frickin happen with air shocks. The El Camino has a frame so you won't be having the typical problems of the upper bars ripping loose. Nut there is a lot of flex in the bars. You can buy the prices 4130 replacement links, or simply box the stock links with some 3/16 plate, add new (or solid for the track only) bushings,
Make the suspension solid, use good sticky tires, tweek a little on some adjustable shocks and I've seen a number of stock 2nd gen Caminos leaving wheels-up.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
larry may

Re: Need so help

Nut there is a lot of flex in the bars. You can buy the prices 4130 replacement links, or simply box the stock links with some 3/16 plate, add new (or solid for the track only) bushings,
Alrighty then will check the chevelle forum and see it I can make er stick. Thanks for the tip. Exactly what I was searching for is a place to go. Thanks Again.Larry

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote