The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
eagleuh1

Cluster connector?

How does the cluster connector on a 68 C20 with full guage cluster disconnect? I tried pulling on it and wiggling it, no luck getting it off. Need to replace instrument lightbulbs so I can stop turning on my cab light to see them at night. Thanks. Jim.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Re: Cluster connector?

You should be able to grab it from the sides and squeeze. There are tabs that you need to push in, then you can wiggle the connector out.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
hugger6933

Push it back in a little that will help you free the clips on the ends that snap into the cluster. If you have pulled it out a little the clips [or whatever they are called ] could act like a wedge and hold it in even tighter. And, if you can't get it out you could always come see me to see if I could get it out for you I am only 2/12 hours away. HAHAHA Merry Christmas . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
hugger6933

Push it back in a little that will help you free the clips on the ends that snap into the cluster. If you have pulled it out a little the clips [or whatever they are called ] could act like a wedge and hold it in even tighter. And, if you can't get it out you could always come see me to see if I could get it out for you I am only 2 1/2 hours away. HAHAHA Merry Christmas . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I'm puzzled, how is pulling the cluster plug out going to help change the bulbs unless you're removing the cluster? In my cluster the bulbs come out with just a 1/4 turn of the sockets and then pull out the bulbs.Are all the bulbs out or do some of them work. I ask because the panel lights fuse might be blown or you may have lost power to the gray wire that feeds the lights.

Here's a cluster with all the bulbs installed and the plug out.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
eagleuh1

VetteVet, I'm wanting to replace the cluster front with a new one also. Otherwise, I could have just replaced the bulbs in place I guess. Only half of my bulbs are out, so I believe the fuse and wiring is good. Also, this is the first time I've pulled it, so I'm curious what else I can fix behind there easier with it out. I'd like to tye wrap up some of the wiring to clean it up some. Thanks everyone for the replies. As soon as it warms up some, I'll get to it. Did get my new air intake and electric window and switch and wood door panel on over last couple days. Door panel will be upholstered when I get the seat done. Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

very cool i've been thinking of doing door panels like that too instead of stock one and nice motor

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Gotcha: Here is a page from the FAQS with some threads in it that might be of interest to you. Scroll down to interior related FAQS.
Nice setup you have there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=262547

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
bosco200

Wiggle it around while holding the tabs in a pull hard....mine was pretty hard to get out of my C20.
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
eagleuh1

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately didn't get to it. Had to go pick up my painting supplies from my friends house. He passed away yesterday of a heart attack. Had just landed after a hanggliding flight and had a massive heart attack. Will miss him. He was a good guy. Could do body work and paint real well. His family used to have a shop that restored Lincoln Zeffirs in Northeast Arkansas. Guess I'm going to learn how to do finish body work and paint now too. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately didn't get to it. Had to go pick up my painting supplies from my friends house. He passed away yesterday of a heart attack. Had just landed after a hanggliding flight and had a massive heart attack. Will miss him. He was a good guy. Could do body work and paint real well. His family used to have a shop that restored Lincoln Zeffirs in Northeast Arkansas. Guess I'm going to learn how to do finish body work and paint now too. Thanks again.
I was just reading my old threads and saw this one. I'm so sad to hear about your friend. I can identify with you since i have lost a brother-in-law in June and my good friend's wife passed away suddenly just a week ago last Saturday
from a tragic accident.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide