The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
legendary

Welder's warning...

Hello everyone! I am sure that you are having a great day! I just came across this article while doing some research on my Cummins swap for my c/10. I am sure that most of you know this already, but I found it very interesting - this guy was almost killed by a small mistake during welding. Check it out:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Many other toys as well...
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
thunder71

Re: Welder's warning...

thanks man i will have to remember this...i am a welder & have used this before ,,,,never again
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder71 View Post
thanks man i will have to remember this...i am a welder & have used this before ,,,,never again
glad to be of assistance - this will make me think twice before using other fluids as well. Thank God I have not done this one
Many other toys as well...
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
skillet

Thanks for the article, I did not know that! The first time I ever welded on some galvanized metal it gave me a terrible headache. A navy buddy of mine told me that welding or cutting on galvanized metal could produce phosgene gas. He said that's what they used in WWI, aka, mustard gas. I used a respirator the few times after that and have since decided not to weld galvanized material.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
hotrodchevy1999
Hotrodchevy

great info to share with eveyone i also weld as well sometime so thank you for posted this
1971 CHEVY C10 Stepside Project 71 cluncker http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ferrerid=89816

My Build Second Chance Suburban (SCS)http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424650
hotrodchevy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Mike Bradbury

Saw this article about a year ago and immediately went to look at my can of brake cleaner, because I use this method all the time to de-grease prior to welding. The brand sold at Pep Boys "CRC'' does not contain the tetracloroethylene that is in the artilce. I tried this in a controlled environment but could never replicate the white smoke by welding. The flash point of brake cleaner is so fast that it was completely evaporated before the heat got close enough to it. I even tried it in porosity with no problem.

Now I am not saying that this will not happen with other brands but just that it did not with the CRC brand when I tried it.

Good rule of thumb when welding in general is to not have your hood in the path of any fumes. Weather welding on galvanized or if you have used brake cleaner, or if you are just welding MIG on mild steel, the fumes created in the process are not good to inhale and could potentially cause damage to you.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 12-25-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

If you wait until the brake cleaner evaporates, it is not a danger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
treveiger

Thats insane, just shows somethings as simple as that can easily kill you. Why not just wash the area with a degreaser like dawn dish soap while scrubbing it then letting it dry?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
NORMSCOLORADO

great find man! thats good to know because i have been using brake cleaner all day today to get the heavy grease off of my 6.5 td and the frame on the 67!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for posting this up because i was going to use some break cleaner on the frame mounts for my rad support in a few mins because i gotta weld up a few cracks.
NORMSCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Thanks for the article, I did not know that! The first time I ever welded on some galvanized metal it gave me a terrible headache. A navy buddy of mine told me that welding or cutting on galvanized metal could produce phosgene gas. He said that's what they used in WWI, aka, mustard gas. I used a respirator the few times after that and have since decided not to weld galvanized material.
I'm a welder,(AWS Cert), if you drink "milk" after welding galv-metals it'll cure that headache. But I think you might be screwed if you weld galv-metal and are lactose-intolerant!
...And the "Mustard Gas" that was used in WWI as an 'anti-personel weapon' was a mix of Ammonia and Chlorine/Chlorides with another chemical or two added for dispersment and 'stick'. (It was called "Mustard Gas" because the concentrated ammonia and chlonine powders when mixed, were like the color of "Mustard". This was mostly used during the winters and rainy seasons so that when it thawed out on a soldier's clothes later in the trenches or mixed with the water in the air, it worked faster as a weapon taking out more people.)
When clorine gas mixes with water in the body it become a form of Hydrochloric acid, mix this with Ammonia and the acid compound becomes very lethal, very quickly,(hyperactively).

IHTH

Michael

Last edited by C. M. Wolf; 12-26-2010 at 07:00 AM.
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary View Post
I just came across this article while doing some research on my Cummins swap for my c/10. !
Thanks for posting this. I just forwarded it to my circle of friends. Brake cleaner is so darn cheap it is the cleaner of choice for many of us. This is definately an eye opener!

Thanks again!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote