The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would you buy custom made LED Lighting?
Yes I would buy LED Turn Signals for $249.99 8 8.33%
Yes I would buy other LED products also 24 25.00%
I would like to but think its too pricey 62 64.58%
I dont like LEDs - Not my thing 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
496 BB

LED Lighting for 73-87 Trucks

MULTIPLE SELECTION POLL - CHECK ALL THAT APPLY

OK guys as I stated before (if you have been watching my other thread) I have been thinking about becoming a vendor on here for LED lighting. While the options are endless in LEDs I would be focusing mainly on the front turn signals, Rear tail lights, and possibly marker lights in fenders. This is obviously just to start with as Ive done PLENTY of other LEDs but am a one man show as of now.

A little history on my abilities. I started messing with LEDs and circuitry surrounding it about 3 years ago. I have since built a reputation within the Duramax community as the "go to" guy for all things LEDs and HIDs. I have done LED components in all switches and dash pieces of my 2001 Silverado HD. It was a learning experience as no one had done this that I knew of. With a few trial and errors I've had them in there for over 3 years now without any problems.

Since then I have spent countless hours studying and building new LED arrays just to find the ins and outs of the LEDs. While LEDs seem easy to do it is just like anything else and is harder than it seems. For instance while I was doing the recent front turn signals on my 1985 K20 I learned that using the resistor the calculator tell you to use is not always making it run at optimal voltage. I used the calculator computed value and was off on volts in the series by .55 volts. While this does not seem much it is HUGE in LEDs running on DC volts. My LEDs were speced at 2.4v typical meaning that is where they usually should run and also with a max of 3v. I like to keep mine just shy of typical as to take in consideration of any spikes in the charging system. I kept playing with the resistors until I was where I wanted to be which was 2.2v. Things like this are going to happen and you must plan for them. I test ALL of my LED circuits for forward voltage so I know they are running within a reasonable range of volts so there is NO failure. This leads me to MOST aftermarket LEDs.

Most aftermarket LEDs are cheap over seas made components. They are usually based off of 12v operating systems and not the actual 14.3-14.6 volts that vehicles most often operate at. This is return leads to premature failure. This was a big reason why I started doing these myself. I was tired of paying top dollar for some crap that wouldnt last six months and was not as bright as claimed. I still find this in base type bulbs. Fact is you will NEVER find a base type bulb that is brighter than a standard halogen. It CAN be done but you wont find it. A standard 1156 bulb is ~403 lumens. You will not even come CLOSE to that with an aftermarket LED bulb not to mention good look trying to get the specs from any retailer as they themselves dont even know. Trust me Ive tried a million times. I could go on forever with this but this is not the point of this post

Heres what I was thinking about doing. I would like for you to participate in this poll and let me know where you stand as far as if anyone would purchase some LED lights. I use quality LED that I have been using for years. The company I buy from is Super Bright Leds. Im sure some of you have heard of them. I buy component LEDs and make the rest from scratch.

For instance on the turn signals of mine I separated the lens from the housing and build from there. There would be options on these as far as the background colors and such. When completed EVERYTHING is tested (forward voltage across EVERY LED also) properly and sealed weather tight with a simple hookup.

Pricing so far is the only thing I am working out. This price would include new housings also. While the price of good quality materials is high I also need to make a dollar too as I would have at least 4 hours in building a set of these....thats on a good day probably. So with that said I could only give a close estimate of pricing for these turn signals. I am confident other models will be in the same ballpark and possibly even cheaper. I have not done other models yet but am willing to offer intro pricing on them for the first sets of each. All of the technology is the same so I have no reservations about the quality. Just need to do the layout which is usually easy.

So for the single headlight systems like mine the price would be in the $249.99 range plus shipping. While I know this may seem high it includes brand new housings also...OEM. It is not all that high on my end when you see all the material costs and such

So as this progresses I would LOVE to venture into new areas with LEDs. I also can put together some good HID kits with housings also. I have plenty of experience in these fields and here are some photos to back it up.

1985 K20 Front Turn Signal Lights (parking lights in pic). Turn signals brighter

1985 K20 Front Turn Signal Lights (at night and parking light)(not in truck fully yet...test pic)

2001 Silverado HD Footwell LED Lighting

2001 Silverado HD Interior Lighting

2001 Silverado HD Door Panel Switch LED Lighting

2001 Silverado HD Dash LED Lighting

All LED fixture I would make would have a warranty. I am just as leery as the next person on stuff like this so it would only seem fitting. As for how long and all of that I still have to figure it all out. It wont be measly by any means. I want to satisfy every person and thats my goal. All I need to know now is if there is any interest in LED lighting before I go on and become a vendor here. If not then I just wasted an hour making this post

Soon to come - LED Tailights w/ reverse LEDs (Early Jan. 2011)(Better than LMC's)
LED Plow Marker Lights
LED Interior
LED Dash (already been done Ive seen)
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 12-26-2010 at 06:19 PM.
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Re: LED Lighting for 73-87 Trucks

supply and demand bro. im sure you would have no problem selling these at all. as a one man show id be more worried with being ab;e to keep the supply up with the customers demands without them waiting for a month to get the items. also, if you become a vendor, is that just for the 73-87 side or is that a vendor for the whole site? prolly have better sales offering to all the years of trucks on here.

i myself dont need any on my daily, but my other project, the original plans were HID's and LED's all the way around so im sure youd get that if you did become a vendor, even tho it wouldnt be for one of the trucks.

i think you are one the right track, it definately worth becoming a vendor if you have that kinda talent with LED's and you are giving a warranty also, very nice. that makes it worth it to alot of guys like myself who would actually try and do it myself, unless you were around lurking.....hint, hint.....

GO FOR IT!
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
496 BB

Thanks. Yea Im sure if it gets to the point where loads of people want them I would be able to supply it. I know people that mess with electronics and would have no problem helping me. Hey who knows where this goes. I have a business now in construction but have been thinking about getting out of it so this may be a blessing. Too many hacks out there but thats a WHOLE other thread...lol. Im too anal I guess

As far as other trucks...yes I would plan on that. I want to see if the interest is there. I am confident in the product selling itself.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 12-26-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
496 BB

Another option possibly I would offer is using your existing housings. You would have to ship to me ALREADY halved (I will show you how but since they are older I would not assume responsibility of possibly damaging them while splitting the housing). Then I would install the array and seal all back up. This price would be minus what the housings are which is ~$80 so total would be around $150-$170. Maybe lower. Im honest when I say there is not much profit in these when you figure in all costs plus the amount of time it takes to build.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 12-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
68longhorn

Quote:
I also can put together some good HID kits with housings also
would these be HIDs with stock lenses? I like HIDs but don't like the crystal lenses. I like what you are offering, not 100% sure on what I'd buy, but looking good so far!
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
AuggieStyle

if i could buy brake, turn signal and side marker in LED for 249 i would do it i buy LED's and make my own accent lighting and such like you have on the 2001 but i havent ventured into making led boards with the right resistors for my truck....i have been researching HID Headlights for my truck
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
496 BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
would these be HIDs with stock lenses? I like HIDs but don't like the crystal lenses. I like what you are offering, not 100% sure on what I'd buy, but looking good so far!
Unfortunately this is not feasible. There may be some retrofitting but I would have to look into this. Sealed beams are just that....sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuggieStyle View Post
if i could buy brake, turn signal and side marker in LED for 249 i would do it i buy LED's and make my own accent lighting and such like you have on the 2001 but i havent ventured into making led boards with the right resistors for my truck....i have been researching HID Headlights for my truck
If I could offer ALL of that for that price I would do so in a heartbeat. Fact of the matter is with just these turn signals materials are well over half the price. Profit is slim and I have to be paid for my time as they do take time to do. I had over 3-4 days in these ones I made from the time I started to the time I figured out everything.

This is not some get rich scheme. Its just something I enjoy and would like to see where it goes. If you look anywhere LED lights for new trucks are pretty expensive in the $300 range. Not talking about Ebay either.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
AuggieStyle

496 i am not knocking you or questioning your pricing that is why i mentioned making my own LED lighting. i would never take this on and try to mass produce them.... i know how uch materials cost and the time and patience it takes....my hat goes off to you.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
496 BB

Thank you sir
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
68longhorn

Thanks for the reply, if you do turn signals are they just plug in or do I have to modify the harness and install a resistor or something?
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
dammitmitchell
the pollock

I buy from super brite. they Offer one hell of a bulk deal. ive done several motorcycles etc..

Once you get your pattern down and get consistant with what you are doing the costs of the LED instillation will go down..

Good luck thou... nice looking set up.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
dammitmitchell
the pollock

also. would you offer a core for the original lights?
how about someone ship you their lights? etc...
No would this be a package deal? that price for a full set? i could see that.. but that price for pair... no..

i understand the complexity of setting this up and being the first guy on the forums to do it. but that price would eventually tick someone off who would udercut you hardcore and steal all your business.

but hey good luck!.
they are very nice and i like them!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
496 BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
Thanks for the reply, if you do turn signals are they just plug in or do I have to modify the harness and install a resistor or something?
Yes all plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
also. would you offer a core for the original lights?
how about someone ship you their lights? etc...
No would this be a package deal? that price for a full set? i could see that.. but that price for pair... no..

i understand the complexity of setting this up and being the first guy on the forums to do it. but that price would eventually tick someone off who would udercut you hardcore and steal all your business.

but hey good luck!.
they are very nice and i like them!
The problem with cores is you never know what the condition of the returned cores would be so no I would not do that. I want tip top condition hence why I am buying NEW ones to put these in for everyone.

I understand the price issues. I really do. BUT I cant give these away. If I really showed all costs involved everyone would see but thats not professional. If people think they are still too high thats fine but I will not sacrifice quality just so they sell cheaper. I just wont sell at all if thats the case cause I dont want a bad rep.

What was peoples thoughts on pricing? Remember housings are around $80. Then you got.....LEDs, Resistors, Solder, PCB Board, Wiring, Gasket, Glue, and all testing equipment plus man hours.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
dammitmitchell
the pollock

what about making a easier "drop in" kit. some people will want different lenses etc. Im sorry if my postings came off negative or anything im trying to be helpful =-)
Alot of the lens assemblies come apart relatively easily.

you can also offer your LED set ups in different configurations like a 7 pack
so that they may be wired into the typical bulb locations. They also make chromed or polished surfaces for LED mountings. (lik you see on the flash lights)
Theres multiple assembly options for you here on this one duder. one thing we have done on the grandams signal assemblies is where the twist lock for the bulb is located we cut that neck off then used a homemade drop in led set up for it.

=======
.\ ....... /
..\_ .. _/ <----------------- cut off mounting area.
.... l__l
......ll
.....ll

the total set up and price of install was like 40 bucks. It was not as intense as a full bank of leds like you have but it was way brighter then a autozone LED bulb.

another time we used a slit on the bottom side thick enough to put the LED panel into the housing we practiced this on a busted lens assy. IT took a few tries but eventually we got it.
we took the slit assy and covered it with a patch of cut plastic and JB plastic weld. it held up well until I stepped on it.

Also, are you sealing the back of the circuit boards with anything? It's called Hermetically sealed and it prevents water damage or arching on the backside of the CB assy. It's a bit fancy sometimes not always necessary.

wow i went for a while on that one.

once again, im ust giving my input and advice from what I have experienced. Thank you for reading, and keep up the good work

Last edited by dammitmitchell; 12-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

What was peoples thoughts on pricing? Remember housings are around $80. Then you got.....LEDs, Resistors, Solder, PCB Board, Wiring, Gasket, Glue, and all testing equipment plus man hours.[/QUOTE]

Just a reply and solely speaking for myself:

I like the look of your lights and I can guess that they do take alot of time and effort to produce. However, this price point would be outside of what I would be willing to pay for turn signals on a project truck that I would only drive weekly during the summer. (For a daily driver, I might consider them just for the brighter / safety aspect of them.)

However, I would encourage you to become a vendor for a time period to see exactly what sales would be like as that will be the only way to tell if there would be enough of a market to make it worth your while to gather the components and assemble your product.

Good luck!!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
496 BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
what about making a easier "drop in" kit. some people will want different lenses etc. Im sorry if my postings came off negative or anything im trying to be helpful =-)
Alot of the lens assemblies come apart relatively easily.

you can also offer your LED set ups in different configurations like a 7 pack
so that they may be wired into the typical bulb locations. They also make chromed or polished surfaces for LED mountings. (lik you see on the flash lights)
Theres multiple assembly options for you here on this one duder. one thing we have done on the grandams signal assemblies is where the twist lock for the bulb is located we cut that neck off then used a homemade drop in led set up for it.

=======
.\ ....... /
..\_ .. _/ <----------------- cut off mounting area.
.... l__l
......ll
.....ll

the total set up and price of install was like 40 bucks. It was not as intense as a full bank of leds like you have but it was way brighter then a autozone LED bulb.

another time we used a slit on the bottom side thick enough to put the LED panel into the housing we practiced this on a busted lens assy. IT took a few tries but eventually we got it.
we took the slit assy and covered it with a patch of cut plastic and JB plastic weld. it held up well until I stepped on it.

Also, are you sealing the back of the circuit boards with anything? It's called Hermetically sealed and it prevents water damage or arching on the backside of the CB assy. It's a bit fancy sometimes not always necessary.

wow i went for a while on that one.

once again, im ust giving my input and advice from what I have experienced. Thank you for reading, and keep up the good work
No I didnt think you came across negative. I knew the price was going to turn some people off but I will prevail with the quality and customer support.

I dont use the base type bulbs at all. They are junk and useless unless you redesigned the whole housing to reflect the viewing angles of the LEDs you were using. I use (21) 5mm 30* 5000mcd LEDs in each turn signal. Tail lights will be alot more and different viewing angle.

I am going to offer different configurations for these also. Was thinking a diagonal would look cool as long as some other ideas I have. Could even do a Chevy emblem as well if wanted to.

The boards as of now are clear so to not look any different than the existing housing. I can also make them chrome, black, or color matched to your vehicle provided I can find the color of paint in a spray can. Possibilities are endless and I LOVE designing new out of the ordinary stuff. Hence the custom aspect of this. You will NOT find this anywhere.

As for the sealing of the unit the back of the boards where the circuitry is, depending on color, will be dipped in a resin so its basically a potted board.

The hook up will be a direct twist in type connection. No splicing. You just twist the base into the socket like you would a regular bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Just a reply and solely speaking for myself:

I like the look of your lights and I can guess that they do take alot of time and effort to produce. However, this price point would be outside of what I would be willing to pay for turn signals on a project truck that I would only drive weekly during the summer. (For a daily driver, I might consider them just for the brighter / safety aspect of them.)

However, I would encourage you to become a vendor for a time period to see exactly what sales would be like as that will be the only way to tell if there would be enough of a market to make it worth your while to gather the components and assemble your product.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the kind words. I think I will become a vendor here and try it out. I think I can satisfy the light type of guy. Im sure as I evolve pricing will drop so that everyone can afford it. Thats my goals at least. There is a HUGE gap in the LED world for quality and I hope to fill that one vehicle at a time
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
dammitmitchell
the pollock

"
The hook up will be a direct twist in type connection. No splicing. You just twist the base into the socket like you would a regular bulb."

that part will make them great add ons!

you should do well with it i was just offering my expereinces. good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
rustyescott

i'm game
rustyescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
cableguy0

Didnt respond in the poll but this is one of those things. Eventually you gotta just man up and jump in and hope to land on your feet. Theres no way to ever know who is willing to buy them until they are actually for sale. I would give it a shot and see what happens. Pre make a few sets and then list them for sale so that you can have them on hand to sell right away
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #20
496 BB

YEP I think Im going for it. I think its gonna be great. The possibilities are going to be endless on this so Im looking forward to it for sure! That and if the mods have let this thread go on for this long Im sure I will love doing business with them and you guys. Seems I have alot of support here and thats essential for any businessman. I appreciate the kind words and I'll do my best to satisfy.

OK so the plan so far is I will wait until January to get the ball rolling. I have to get into place some things to make this happen and I would also like to figure out these tail lights beforehand so all of the R&D is done with those also. In addition I will be "Life Testing" these LEDs for longevity. I will hook them up to an ac/dc converter at 14v and run them at little past there Typ volts input and make sure they last. It will take two weeks of constant on with NO failure before they pass. Im sure they will be fine as I got same things in my other truck for some years now. I want to make this as efficient as I can but dont want to start out huge. I want to grow marginally so the customer service stays put. Thats my #1 concern. If you got a good product and no customer service you got nothing. Customer service keeps the lights on

Stay tuned and I'll keep you guys informed. Once again....thank you
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Pre make a few sets and then list them for sale so that you can have them on hand to sell right away

Just to add, Have the buyers post their review of the product. Something that may help is posting a pic of this light board before installing it into a housing, This would show the complexity in building from scratch......
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 AM   #22
DBLSPRT68

I'm interested in these and very interested in the tail lights. I was actually looking at buying the ones from LMC. I'll wait and see what you come up with I have the 89-91 Suburban front end, they have the large park lights. Have you considered how many different styles of park lights there were for these trucks? I wish you luck with your new adventure!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
496 BB

I realize there is tons of different styles on lights. I also know I will tackle them on by one and do all the R&D for each one until Im happy as with the customer. As I progress I will venture into the older trucks as well.

Probably what I will do for each new style of housing I do is hook up with someone on here that has that style and offer them some special pricing to test em out for me. Do a review (good or bad) and eliminate any obstacles there may be. Then they will be for sale to everyone once they are golden. Same goes for tail lights.

Im hoping next week I can make a game plan for the tail lights.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
83burban

I'll be your guinea pig for the tail-lights haha