The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
DWright
Shlong Bed Club

Pipe C Notch

stupid question, but does anyone have pics of a 60-66 with rear bags and just a pipe notch? (preferably aired out)
Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
shortbed70

Re: Pipe Notch

Heres my pipe notch welded in
Attached Images

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Chris65GMC

I did a search, but does anyone have a link for a good 'how to" on the pipe notch?
Chris65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
hothues70

I've always just unbolted the rear hangers or coils and let the truck down on the axle to get my mark. Easiest way for me to figure out where to cut. Then just measure how much farther you have to go to reach the lowest point, laid out or wherever and cut ur piece of pipe to give you that much notch. Trace it on the frame, cut it out and weld it. It goes pretty quick that way. Has for me anyway.
hothues70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I thought about notching my frame with the simple cut out and welding in of a piece of pipe until I ran the numbers to see how it would effect the strength of the frame. It is really a dramatic change.

Notching a frame in the method shown above reduces the rear frame strength (behind the axle) by about 75%.

Now, that being said, depending on how you end up using your truck that may not be a big deal to you:
On a truck arm design frame, the coil springs are ahead of the rear axle, so the suspension load on the frame is negligibly affected by the c-notch.

You for sure don't want to use this method on
a leaf spring type set-up,
if you plan to haul anything in the truck,
if you plan pull anything in with the truck,
if you have moved your gas tank to behind the rear axle.
The above drastic strength reduction is the reason why purchased kits have heavy structural steel members that are added to the existing frame rail.

I am not preaching, do what you like, I just wanted to make sure you knew what these changes do to the strength of the frame, behind the axle.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

lakeroadster; with out going into a complete engineering seminar, how do you make that calculation? Just curious.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
lakeroadster; with out going into a complete engineering seminar, how do you make that calculation? Just curious.
x2?

Also.... What if a pipe notch similar to what is pictured above is boxed on the inside? What effect would that have to restore that strength?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Look at the equation below shown in the images. This is is the calculation used to determine the section modulus (S) of an open channel. Section modulus is directly related to the strength of the member.

The change in height radically effects strength because in the equation the height is exponentially to the 3rd power. Height is the major determining factor, which makes sense, but changing it effects strength to the 3rd power which derates its capacity really quick.

For a stock frame
b = 3
s = 0.16 in.
d = 4.75 in.
t = 0.16 in.
h = 4.43 in.
Crunching the numbers, S = 6.22 in^4

With a C-notch you have changed the height, d = 2.375, S = 1.30 in^4

So the notched frame has about 20% of the strength of the stock frame. That is the reason why purchased kits have heavy structural steel members that are added to the existing frame rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
x2? Also.... What if a pipe notch similar to what is pictured above is boxed on the inside? What effect would that have to restore that strength?
Yeah, I thought of that too. It doesn't help very much at all.
Modify a stock channel type frame, making it a tube frame:
S = 7.38 in^4
C-Notch modified tube type frame with d = 2.375
S = 1.41 in^4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailed2japan View Post
Without detailed engineering experiments and only sense to work with. I would say that by notching half the height of the frame, using the same grade/thickness steel, and boxing the back side, to include going a distance equal to the height of the frame forward and aft of the notch, ther would be little to no degredation of the integrity of the frame. And lets face it, if you're notching your frame, you're not planning on heavy duty work.

Oh, and the gas tank behind the axle? Really? Even a topped off 40 gal tank only weights about 300lb!
I thought the same thing, that's why I ran the numbers and the numbers simply don't support this. Boxing a frame helps the structural resistance to twisting alot and that is why a lot of people box frames. It also helps the strength in bending, but adding the extra member doesn't double the strength, for a stock frame adding the extra member above the axle adds about 20% to the strength.

As far as the gas tank goes, it's not so much the weight as it is the moment arm. A 300 lbs gas tank mounted behing the rear axle on a long bed truck adds a lot of moment. Assume 3 ft to the center of gravity: 3 ft x 300 lbs = 900 ft-lbs.

Like I said previously I am not preaching, do what you like, I just wanted to make sure you knew what these changes do to the strength of the frame, behind the axle.

Just trying to help.... don't shoot the messenger.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Ok, thanks John.........that's cool!! Now my question is what is the difference from boxing to '' heavy structural steel members that are added to the existing frame rail.''?

Isnt that just the same as boxing on the outside of the frame? And, do the bolt holes reduce the section modulus of the frame?
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Thanks for the time to figure this out John. I knew you just were'nt talking $hit. I even kinda understand it. Minus all the numbers and stuff.
Agree 100%. I would also like to add....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster
Just trying to help.... don't shoot the messenger
There's a difference when someone criticizes a modification and/or method w/o providing the benefit of their logic on how things are affected. 'Just because' as reasoning is when people grow irritated. We can all learn from each others backrounds, educations, & experiences throughout our years.

I did consider the strength impact when reducing the height of my frame channel. I figured the use of the heavier walled material (.250" steel plate c-notch) w/boxing it in (using .1875" steel plate) would restore the majority of the strength. Seeing those numbers crunched, I'm going to re-evaluate/scrutinize my set-up & consider the possibility of plating the outer wall of my frame for additional assurance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok, thanks John.........that's cool!! Now my question is what is the difference from boxing to '' heavy structural steel members that are added to the existing frame rail.''?

Isnt that just the same as boxing on the outside of the frame? And, do the bolt holes reduce the section modulus of the frame?

Yep, from a "calculation standpoint" adding the structural steel member is about the same as welding in a boxing plate. Most of the bolt on kits use a steel plate that is considerably thicker than the stock truck frame thickness. That helps but I still would like to run the numbers on one of the kits to see if it is as strong as the original uncut frame when all is said and done.

As for the bolt holes, they don't effect the strength very much as long as they are spaced away from each other.

I took a little time this morning and made a solid model using Inventor Cad software. (See attachments below)
First I made a model of a stock frame rail.

Second a model of a c-notched rail using 4 inch pipe (0.237 wall) as the notch. This configuration is about 40% weeker than the stock frame.

Third was the c-notch with a 1/4" thick boxing plate. This configuration is about 25% weeker than the stock frame.
Using FEA is more realistic than the simple channel and tube calculations that were discussed in the previous posts because it looks at how all the parts work together as a system. And the cool thing about this type of analysis is it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling about how different modifications effect the strength of a part.

Kind of neat, don't ya think?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stock Frame.pdf (23.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: pdf CNotched Frame.pdf (32.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: pdf CNotched Frame with boxing plate.pdf (52.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
I guess to make a more extreme example, using the 4.75'' frame rail from page 1 (d).....what if, centered on the frame rail, one was to holesaw a 3'' hole thru the frame. What does this do?

My father was an engineer at Caterpillar for 40+ years so I'm used to physics, equations, and math blowing holes in my 'common sense'.
Looks like with a 3" hole in the center of the channel it is about a 40% reduction in strength over the stock configuration. But if you were to add a reinforcing pad to the hole, lets say 4 inch o.d. x 1/2" thick this configuration it just about as strong as the uncut frame.

But regular bolt holes, lets say 9/16" dia. don't effect the structure much. I plugged in (4) of them and it reduced the stock frame strength by about 10%.

Normally though if there are bolt holes, there is some structure being bolted to the frame, and that structure will likely stiffen things back up... depending on how strong the structure is.

So using the re-pad concept I added a half re-pad to the c-notched frame that had the boxing plate and it is as good as the stock frame. Use a 3/8" thick boxing plate, a 3/8" thick 7" dia. half re-pad and 4" 0.237 wall pipe.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
DWright
Shlong Bed Club

is this workable? sorry its so crude. and yes, the extra 1/4'' wall pipe is used above the frame and plated on both sides with 3/16" steel.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
the pipe was 6" od. i wasnt too concerned with the bed floor as mine is currently a sheet of plywood. i was thinking of raising it about 2" to clear the diff. when aired out anyway. what kind of steel do you recomend be welded to the top of the frame? i was only asking about the remainder of the pipe because i already had it and hate wasted steel.
Dwright,

With the 6 inch pipe notch the frame has about 17% of the original frame strength.

Modified in the configuration you sketched out, with the remaining 6 inch pipe on top and boxing plates, does little to strengthen the frame. This configuration has about 22% of the original frame strength. The frame still needs more section strength.

I took the liberty of proposing an alternate design. This has pieces made from 3/16" plate and this version is stronger than the the original frame. Basically it is a box structure that extends 2" above the frame, 12" long and ends are angled at 45 degrees and they are also boxed in.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DWright 6 inch CNotched Frame.pdf (36.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: pdf DWright 6 inch CNotched Frame Modified.pdf (139.5 KB, 258 views)
File Type: pdf Stock Frame.pdf (37.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf DWright 6 inch CNotched Frame Proposed Change.pdf (46.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
thanks for the work Lakeroadster. i notched the frame lastnight and installed the 6" pipe notch. i'm definitely gonna add a piece of heavy wall 2x4 steel to the top of my frame.
No problem, glad I could help. Make sure to box the inside of the frame with the 3/16" also.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Scoti sent me some data on the c-notch he did on his frame. This one is a bit tricky. The notch isn't an arch, it's kind of squared off at the top. The tight radius at the bend makes for high stresses at the bend line.

The frame itself is strong since Scoti added a boxing plate and the materials used for the arch is 1/4" thick. Take a look at the attachment below of the stock frame and of Scoti's frame. Take note of the colors and the corresponding scale at the left hand side. Notice that most of the areas have a safety factor of between 1 and 5, which is good when comparing to the stock frame.

But even if we add material to the top to make the overall frame section stronger that darn tight radius is the "hot spot". This is called a stress-riser in engineering lingo. And the kicker is, depending on how much the frame is loaded, this hot spot may never rare it's ugly head. But this spot is likely where a problem would occur in an overload condition.

I will "noodle" over this a bit more... maybe add a post later with some updates pending any good ideas ya'll might have.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scotis Frame.pdf (142.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: pdf Stock Frame 14 inch long.pdf (43.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: pdf Scotis Frame Modified.pdf (47.8 KB, 246 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Scoti,

How is you overhead welding abilities? If you were to add a piece of 1/2" solid round bar to the notch as shown in the attachment and then grind the welds such that they feather into the notch it helps a lot. Plus I would suggest that you grind a radius on the notched edges as shown in the attachment, that also helps. As a rule, radius edges when you can, that always helps reduce stresses.

The upper truss is 10-1/2" overall length, is boxed in, made from 3/16" plate, and ends are angled 45 degrees.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scotis Frame Modified with Radius.pdf (55.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: pdf Scotis Frame Modified with Radius close up.pdf (144.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Scoti,

How is you overhead welding abilities? If you were to add a piece of 1/2" solid round bar to the notch as shown in the attachment and then grind the welds such that they feather into the notch it helps a lot. Plus I would suggest that you grind a radius on the notched edges as shown in the attachment, that also helps. As a rule, radius edges when you can, that always helps reduce stresses.

The upper truss is 10-1/2" overall length, is boxed in, made from 3/16" plate, and ends are angled 45 degrees.

I hope this helps.
It's a frame on a quasi chassis table/jig. I suck @ overhead stuff but flipping the frame is very do-able . To make sure we're on the same page, what height did you establish on the truss?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

1-1/2" high on the upper truss... see attached.

Be sure and let me know how this works out for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scotis Frame Modified.pdf (30.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I got ya, the tops of these frames are not straight, good thinking on using the other frame for the additional truss.

However I don't know that I would use an additional 3" to the frame height. If you were to maybe cut the frame section such that you end up with the 1-1/2" to 2" of additional height that should be adequate and it would still follow the contour of the frame. And for the ends I would angle them at 45 degrees and not use structural angle. Remember, abrupt changes mean stress risers. Try to make it flow without any hickups, if that makes sense. Smoother be betta.
I might have not been clear enough in my description. The angle pieces would be underneath the outer structure simply to assist tying the 2 sections together; the 'ends' of the truss would be 45° angled from new to old frame sections.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

There was previous discussion here about commercially available c-notches.

From what I have seen Beltech has a very good notch kit, but they don't offer them for our 60-66 trucks.

Take a look at the pictures below and the followig link: http://www.belltech.com/trucks.php

Basically they have a heavy formed c-channel with a welded notch. Then this bolts through the frame and there is a heavy backing plate.

This essentially triples the wall thickness of the frame. Interesting. If any body has one of these I would be interested in knowing how thick these components are.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

A couple things to keep in mind:
The base line I used was my stock c10 frame geometry above the rear axle. I believe this geometry is also the same for a C20. So I created a model in cad and loaded it using FEA to get a safety factor of a stock non-modified frame. Then I modified the model based on scot's c-notch dimensions to determine the safety factor of his frame as modified.

So all we are doing is comparing a stock frame to a modified frame.

The stock frame is very very strong.

Also be aware that modifications to a long bed truck puts more stress on the c-notch area.. Longer lever arm bending this area.

But everything relates back to how you use your truck. For me I want any modification I make to be at least as strong as it was when the truck left the factory. Might be overkill, but that is my baseline.

As for the "kit" notch, see posts #89 and #90 above, I re-ran the model assuming formed kit channels made out of 1/4" plates and the 1/4" backing plate.

The FEA says this "kit" it is still a 40% reduction of frame strength.

From an "Engineering" standpoint of beam analysis the height of the beam is the driving factor of the strength. Thickness matters, but not nearly as much as vertical web height.

If you want the frame to be as strong as stock and you want a notch deeper than the 2" one shown in thread #35 there is simply no substitute for adding some sort of truss above the frame, or replacing the frame section with another structural member that has the same section height as the original frame.

Whenever someone starts talking about a deep c-notch and state that just by adding thicker plates to the sides of the frame rails this makes the frame stronger than it was in its original condition, yet they are and not adding vertical height, they do not understand beam analysis.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Pipe C Notch

Edited version for FAQ. Original version located here- LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-27-2010 at 06:40 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
SBTork
Garage wrench

I know this is kind of off topic, but how does a step-notch factor into this? Would they not suffer from decreased strength because they're still the same section (frame) height through the notch?

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....

Last edited by SBTork; 12-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Notch1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
I know this is kind of off topic, but how does a step-notch factor into this? Would they not suffer from decreased strength because they're still the same section (frame) height through the notch?
That's what you want... the same section height to maintain the strength. Plus the step-notch is fully boxed.
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote