The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
72ArizonaBurb

Engine Swap to 79 -84 350 sbc pulley / water pump / harmonic balancer question

I bought a long block from a 79 - 85 model Chevy from a local guy and started to re-assmble it the other day. I ordered a water pump for a 72 Chevy and when I tried to install it doesn't fit because of clearance with the timing chain cover. So I returned it and got one for that model and now I am concerned about all my pulleys lining up.

Here is my question. Can I take a timing cover off an older model and then return to the original pulleys or will I need to change all my pulleys to later models?

Also will the timing marks on the harmonic balance be in the wrong place if I use a harmonic balancer from the 79 - 85 model? Can I put the balancer from a 72 SBC on and everthing work out okay?

Thanks in advance for your help.
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Engine Swap to 79 -84 350 sbc pulley / water pump / harmonic balancer question

It should clear the timing cover. The timing tab may be interfering with it. I would use the original short pump system & all your original parts. You can use the old balancer but you can hold it up against the newer one & line up the keyway's & remark the old one. I don't think you can use the older cover as they changed the area that fits up against the pan somewhere around that era.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
72ArizonaBurb

Re: Engine Swap to 79 -84 350 sbc pulley / water pump / harmonic balancer question

Thanks Wrenchbender Ret. I brought home a parts truck 3 days ago and it has a short water pump. I am going to use it to see where my problem is. Thanks for the info this will save me a lot of time and trouble trying to find brackets to replace my old ones.

Thanks again,

Keith
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote