The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Heinz55

Pulling steering wheel, advice?

1974 GM steering column, steers and works fine (ugly as sin) but I need to move it closer to dash and also fix the turn indicator switch. I assume the steering wheel uses a tool not unlike a harmonic damperner puller to remove the wheel from the column. Is this a tool I can rent or make, seems preety simple

Also, any body else had problems with their turn indicator switches if you are using an aftermarket column.

Thanks in advance

1955 Chevy 2nd series, "Mabel"
Heinz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Pulling steering wheel, advice?

You can buy the tool in Autozone, O'Reilly's or Sears tool sections pretty inexpensively.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...motiveQ5fTools
I took the lazy way out looking for the tool, Hence the Ebay link.

You will probably be better off hunting for the set like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEER...motiveQ5fTools that has both the wheel puller and the lock plate compressor in it though as after you get the wheel off you have to be able to press the lock plate down and get the snap ring out to get it off and get to the switch.
I have to pick up some parts at noon and will see if I see what they have here to give you an idea of what to look for.

This is like the one at Autozone and should be close to the same price in the store.
Usually these trucks take. the 5/16 sae thread bolts in the two bolt holes next to the steering shaft. Make sure that the mark on the wheel is lined up with the mark on the shaft before you pull it apart though and put it back together with the marks matching up so the wheel will be straight.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: Pulling steering wheel, advice?

Mr. 48 has it covered, Oriellys etc will loan you one but they are so inexpensive buy one. Most are a universal deal with different bolt sizes. All the guts for the columns are still available from Napa, no need to buy the same stuff at specialty vendor markups.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote