The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Nova70

Love it when my days end like this.....

So I'm driving home from work (9:00P.M.) and come to my routine left hand turn. Double lane left turn, I usually turn from the far left and there's generally very few people on the back road this time of night. Left arrow turns green and I start to turn along with a car to my right.... Well wouldn't you know it? Some dumb ass girl with her friend in the car decides that she owns the road and is going to turn into my lane.... So what do I do? Cut it short and hit the curb at about 10mph with my left front. Okay, whatever, ladies retarded no harm done.... Oh wait, why is my wheel cocked so far right going straight? So I follow her into a nearby parking lot and walk up to her window. "Sorry dude.... I didn't hit you."
"No, you just tried to run me off the road and I hit the curb, insurance info please."
She throws her insurance paper at me and drives off..... Good thing I wrote down her plate number before I even got out of my truck.

/rant

And a quick question, if I take my truck to say, Big O or something, can they inspect my front end and tell me the damages? I can hear a slight noise when driving straight, like metal on metal but very faint. It's a K10 with discs and 5.5" lift if that makes any difference...... I'm just very irrate right now....

Edit- I looked at the front end with what light I had and didn't see anything that appeared bent, but my dad says I possibly could've bent the frame at the steering box. He says it's a common problem for 1/2 tons. Anyone hear of this?

Last edited by Nova70; 01-05-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Nova70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
No Regretz

Re: Love it when my days end like this.....

man i can feel for you, i was driving my dads truck and some old lady pulled out in front of me on a hill and i turned where she cam out and the front bumper came off.. no fun, no insurance switching...

girls these days think they are hot and bad.. hope everything goes good bro
No Regretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Spoof

probably bent a tie rod if your tire hit the curb at an angle, or some hub damage. I doubt your frame is bent.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Putter
More Cowbell....

Hey, next time, offer them a fender or door. If I stand to get damage, I want THEM to get a little as well.
Too many idiots on the road doing other things now-a-days. I used to try and avoid stuff, but now I just BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!

Last edited by Putter; 01-05-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo :-)
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
probably bent a tie rod if your tire hit the curb at an angle, or some hub damage. I doubt your frame is bent.

Agreed... to much other stuff to bend first!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Hey, next time, offer then a fender or door. If I stand to get damage, I want THEM to get a little as well.
Too many idiots on the road doing other things now-a-days. I used to try and avoid stuff, but now I just BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!

Man, my daily driver is a 1 ton crew cab dually...I promise you that happens to me and she is buying my front clip and a new car for her, I might even get out and complain of back problems and neck problems LOL I am just kidding about the last part...

Sorry to hear that you had this happen, but I suspect you have a bent tie rod, maybe a busted bearing (for the noise) nothing too expensive... But, if her insurance will pay...Let them foot the bill!!!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
k5hart

Quote:
Hey, next time, offer then a fender or door. If I stand to get damage, I want THEM to get a little as well.
Sad but I'll have to say I kind of agree with this.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

My only worry is that if I hit someone in one of mine, it'll kill them! These new cars are pretty flimsy. Scares me to think what would happen if one of them hit my new Camaro. Crunch!

Good luck with the insurance, I'm sure its only a tie rod and maybe the bearing like Tex said.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Nova70

My dad and I looked at it and we didn't see anything, my dad says the same about a possible bearing. I'm gonna take it do Big O and have an alignment done and tell them what happened to see if they'll do a little check-up on her. =)

I was really p/o'd last night though. lol.

Thanks for the help guys, I really was telling myself all night, "I shoulda just hit the dumb ass."
Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova70 View Post
My dad and I looked at it and we didn't see anything, my dad says the same about a possible bearing. I'm gonna take it do Big O and have an alignment done and tell them what happened to see if they'll do a little check-up on her. =)

Thanks for the help guys, I really was telling myself all night, "I shoulda just hit the dumb ass."
Based on my personal experience this past summer, I think you did the right thing by trying to avoid her. This summer a person (I use that term very loosly) was parked on the side of the road with her right two wheels off on the shoulder. I watched her for at least a half a mile before I decided to go around her on the left side. As I was trying to go around her, she suddenly turned left....I cranked my truck hard left to avoid her but she hit me and tore up my right side of the truck. Even though I felt that I was not a fault, there was a witness that saw the END of the accident and the cop believed her. I got the ticket, my insurance got to pay for her car and she hired a lawyer and claimed injury...she refused medical treatment at the scene. Did I mention the she didn't have insurance or a drivers license? She got a slap on the wrist from the Denver courts.....I got my rates raised and had to repair my own truck.....

You did the right thing.....

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
StingRay

Quote:
Hey, next time, offer them a fender or door. If I stand to get damage, I want THEM to get a little as well.
Every driver has the responsibility to try and avoid a collision. Having the ability to avoid and deciding not to makes you at fault regardless of all other conditions. You did the right thing. I understand the sentiment though and feel the same way often.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:

I feel for you for sure. I also think that you did the right thing, taking a curb at that speed in one of these trucks isn't gonna cause a huge amount or damage so if the other insurance won't pay you won't be out much. On the other hand if you took out her door and fender it will be $2K at a minimum, plus more damage to your truck, if the insurance claims you are at fault you stand to lose alot more $$.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
My wife and I actually have an agreement for situations like this.We brace then don't stop twitching until the settlement reaches 7 figures.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
Nova70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
My wife and I actually have an agreement for situations like this.We brace then don't stop twitching until the settlement reaches 7 figures.
I laughed.

Now some more great news.... Apparantly Big O doesn't know how to start a truck these days so I have to find a ride down there because my ride isn't supposed to be here for about another hour and a half and my truck is supposed to be done then..... Oh joy.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
1970 CST STEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemield View Post
Based on my personal experience this past summer, I think you did the right thing by trying to avoid her. This summer a person (I use that term very loosly) was parked on the side of the road with her right two wheels off on the shoulder. I watched her for at least a half a mile before I decided to go around her on the left side. As I was trying to go around her, she suddenly turned left....I cranked my truck hard left to avoid her but she hit me and tore up my right side of the truck. Even though I felt that I was not a fault, there was a witness that saw the END of the accident and the cop believed her. I got the ticket, my insurance got to pay for her car and she hired a lawyer and claimed injury...she refused medical treatment at the scene. Did I mention the she didn't have insurance or a drivers license? She got a slap on the wrist from the Denver courts.....I got my rates raised and had to repair my own truck.....

You did the right thing.....
laws are made FOR the criminal!
1972 SWB FLEET ORIGINAL
1970 CST STEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Good choice. I often think to myself after a similar situation, man you should have nailed them. But, I don't want to deal with all the BS either. I'm guessing you damaged a tie rod, or maybe a wheel bearing like already mentioned. Also, get the steering box checked just in case due to the shock load it would have taken.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Thats the answer. Or just put a huge grill on the front of your truck and when somebody does that and you hit them just make sure its hard enough so it causes enough damage for you to get away without them following you. Its b.s. that they act like that when its there fault... Ugh i hate drivers that think they own the road...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #18
Nova70

Well I got it back from Big O and all seems fine except for the strange noise. Neither I, nor my dad can figure out what it is. Big O also looked at it and said all appears to be fine, tie rods, pitman arm, steering box, etc. Although my truck was probably due for an alignment anyway, it feels much better now.... Really want to know what the noise is though.

It sounds to me like something is barely rubbing my wheel as I'm driving and gets louder the faster I go. It's not a very loud noise, but it's noticeable @ 40+. What should I check?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
FIREBALL
(007) aka Houdini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST STEP View Post
laws are made FOR the criminal!
lol...you are so right just listen to all the crap on the new's everyday. I mean look at the one's that get prison time hell they got it better than some consider... A/c, 3 meals a-day no bills, and so forth (I mean hey our tax $$'s are paying for them) lol you do the math on that....
Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #20
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Quote:
Im with you...that is why the DD is a Jeep TJ...lifted...Off Road Bumpers...and ready for impact....
Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Well I got it back from Big O and all seems fine except for the strange noise. Neither I, nor my dad can figure out what it is. Big O also looked at it and said all appears to be fine, tie rods, pitman arm, steering box, etc. Although my truck was probably due for an alignment anyway, it feels much better now.... Really want to know what the noise is though.

It sounds to me like something is barely rubbing my wheel as I'm driving and gets louder the faster I go. It's not a very loud noise, but it's noticeable @ 40+. What should I check?
Have you checked to see if the dust shield on the brakes aren't rubbing on something? Maybe a rock got up in there or something.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Double check those bearings. Even though they might look ok, and they might feel good on a lift, the possibility of a cracked inner or outer race that shows up under loaded strain (while driving) is very real.
If the bearing race is indeed cracked that will throw off the entire geometry of that wheel and could cause rubbing on other items such as the brakes and the sheild that Dieselwrencher has mentioned.

AL
'69 GMC Longhorn 2500
'69 Chevy CST 396

Last edited by alsriv2; 01-07-2011 at 11:30 AM.
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Love it when my days end like this.....

SC law,
Long story short, My wife was passing a car and a lady ran the stop sign and pulled into the lane my wife was in, she spun the car out through the grass and never touched the lady who ran the stop sign. I got her tag number and called the HP. They wrote her a ticket and her insurance payed for the car damage. She hit a ditch and broke the tie rod end off we couldn't drive the car. She had to pay to have the people yard fixed too!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
SC law,
Long story short, My wife was passing a car and a lady ran the stop sign and pulled into the lane my wife was in, she spun the car out through the grass and never touched the lady who ran the stop sign. I got her tag number and called the HP. They wrote her a ticket and her insurance payed for the car damage. She hit a ditch and broke the tie rod end off we couldn't drive the car. She had to pay to have the people yard fixed too!
Happy to read you got her plate number. A similar scenario happened to me but I didn't get a plate. Unfortunately the cops thought I had been drinking and had to undergo a field sobriety and received a ticket for failure to control. I staked out the intersection for a couple of nights at about the same time the incident occurred and scored the plate number. I turned it into my insurance company and fortunately they pursued the car's owner. As the driver somewhat "confessed" to the insurance investigator during a taped phone interview, I took the recording into court and the judge dismissed the ticket.

What disturbed me most about this incident is the cops assumed immediately I was at fault and refused to consider my story. Additionally I easily passed the field sobriety and challenged them to give a breathalyzer but they refused. I then went to an independent lab and paid to have a blood alcohol test accomplished (zero %) to ensure additional charges weren't fabricated.

The problem I foresee with letting an accident evolve without taking evasive action is I'll get a total on the C20 as it won't be worth much according to the insurance company.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
The problem I foresee with letting an accident evolve without taking evasive action is I'll get a total on the C20 as it won't be worth much according to the insurance company.
That's what came to my mind too. My dad has an 88 ford ranger that ran well and was in good shape that he used for commuting and some lady backed up into him at a gas station in her subaru. Her insurance would pay for the damages, but for a tweeked front bumper and a bent fender they wanted to total the truck. My dad didn't want the hassle of finding another truck just to rack up miles on (not to mention that what they would pay wouldn't buy him much) so he asked the body shop if they could just find a good bumper out of a junk yard then fix the fender. So that is what they did and it just barely missed being totalled out. You look at what happened with oldblue68 on here and it is the same thing, smashed bed and bent trailing arm is all it took for the insurance to total his out.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote