The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
jcloud6

Help with oil pump problem on 1969 SBC 350 Engine

I picked up this 1969 SBC 350 from a guy for less than a hundred bucks. According to the engine suffix code this came with 300 factory horse power. He had block dipped, bored .30 over, new freeze plugs, cam bearing, pistons, crank, cam and oil pump. He sold this engine because he cannot figure out why the oil is not being pumped up to the valve train.

Q. Could the cam bearing be install wrong.
Q. Could there be a difference in oil pump/shaft
Q. Could there be a difference in distributors
Q How should I trouble shoot this to determine the problem
jcloud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Help with oil pump problem on 1969 SBC 350 Engine

Put a priming tool down in the engine and spin the piss out of it with a drill to see what you've got to deal with. Screw a gauge into the port and see what kind of pressure you develop and watch the rockers to see if they start to dribble.

Big thing here though. I have seen a lot of times where fellows can't get oiling to both sides of the valvetrain. The issue is the priming tool. You must use a tool that has a housing like a distributor. The ones that are just shafts without housings won't ever work. I don't even know why they still sell the things. The housing is critical in that it completes an oil passage that allows the oil to cross over to the other side of the engine. Lacking that, the oil just spills down into the block and doesn't make it to the rockers.

Another frequent issue is a little tiny oil galley plug that goes into the block above the rear main bearing cap. The machine shop removes them during their work and often don't install another one afterward. This causes loss of oil pressure through the system.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Go ahead and laugh at this "redneck" approach to priming the lubrication system. I too an old HEI distributor ground the teeth off the cam gear and cut the rotor mount off the top to chuck up a drill, works great and it was "free". I have found that when folks change cams they don't let the lifters soak in oil for a while to fill with oil. What I have done when I rebuilt a SB was to build the bottom and get the pan on it and put some oil in the sump and spin her up with the lifters out (cam in) to check for oil flow, then drop in the "soaked lifters" and spin her up again then finish assembly. Just my 2 cents, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

You need this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/62205/10002/-1

NOT this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/3795G/10002/-1

to make sure the valve train is getting oil.

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote