The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
GMCanuck

Front End Clunk - Cross-Member Bushings

New Guy here - well kinda. Now that I own a 2006 Sierra, I decided to revise my user name. But either way, glad to be back on-board...

After searchig for a while for my front end clunk - I FINALLY FOUND IT ! ! ! ! !

Turns out that the bushing at the end of the cross-member where the rear of the torsion bar mounts is loose (see photos). The torsion bar is firm in the cross-member, but there is alot of movement and knocking in the connection where the cross-member attaches to the frame. The cross-member moves up and down when I lift the vehicle from below. And since the rivets holding the bracket to the frame are tight, I am assuming the bushing is worn.

I've searched a bit and seen other references to this issue, but I'm looking for some help replacing these. So, anyone have any experience with replacing these parts? Can this be done with the torsion bar and cross-member in place?

I've spoken with a dealer and it turns out that the new bushings come complete with the bracket that bolt to the frame. So it will just be a matter of grinding/cutting the existing rivets and bolting the new one in place. But can this be done without loosening the torsion bar? Just simply supporting the cross-member during the time the bushing/bracket are out?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

1986 Silverado C10 LWB "heavy-half" (soon to be sold)
2008 Toyota Rav4 Sport 3.5L V6 (Daily Driver / Wife's Vehicle)

Last edited by GMCanuck; 01-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
GMCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
GMCanuck

Re: Front End Clunk - Cross-Member Bushings

Well, I went out this afternoon to do a little more looking. It seems the torsion bar is actually putting upward pressure on the cross-member. So I'm thinking this should be fairly straight forward - simply place a block between the top of the cross-member and the unerside of the body - this way holding it in position during the work - or simply let it move up and then just pull it back into position following the bracket and bushing replacement.

Now I just need my Helm repair manuals to arrive (on Monday or Tuesday), pick up the parts and get rid of this ANNOYING clunk...
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanuck View Post
New Guy here - well kinda. Now that I own a 2006 Sierra, I decided to revise my user name. But either way, glad to be back on-board...
How did you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
GMCanuck

Actually signed up as a new member - left the old user name behind. Hope that's okay with the mods and admins...