The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
skoffice

X Pipe and Exhaust Pics!

I'm trying to get ideas for where to run my exhaust and figure out whether or not I can get an X pipe in there. I'll be running a 2 piece driveshaft and be pretty low, so the pipes are going to go through the trailing arm crossmember and exit before the rear tires. Anyone have any pics of their exhaust? I'd prefer X pipe but lets see what you've got!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: X Pipe and Exhaust Pics!

I don't have any pics, but I wanted to mention that if I recall correctly, X-pipes need to be installed right behind the tranny or farther back and H-pipes should be installed closer to the engine. I think their placement have an effect on torque and scavenging. Any others that have input, please chime in.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
skoffice

I was kinda thinking of trying to fit it under the driveshaft after the trans, but not to where it would hang below the frame. Then I don't know if there is enough room for one under the bed and to dump before the tires, and still clear the second part of the driveshaft. Thats why some pics of anyone's exhaust really could help me visualize it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
suville

Email me and I'll send ya some pics dont know this confusor stuff very well. It said enter url what the hey?? anyway I know how to email
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
kieth

I am just getting ready to have my 66 GMC fleetside exhaust done and we have had to pretty much rule out a X pipe, it looks like the only thing we can do is run a H pipe due to space limitations. I have a one piece driveshaft and it really doe not seem practical to run a X between the headers and the crossmember that supports the rear suspension (coil springs)
We think we can run a balance tube right after the suspension crossmember and then go into the mufflers (14" long 2.5" diameter pipes and muffler) There is barely enough room to accomplish this in the space between the rear susp crossmember and the crossmember right behind the rear axle. If we were using glass packs it would be much easier to accomplish....I am still thinking of placing the mufflers behind the the rear end and outside the frame but my rear fuel tank and filler are going to be very close to that area. It is a problem let me know what you come up with......ps I have air bags on the rear in place of the coil springs so clearance and heat become a problem also.....Kieth

Oh we were trying to keep the exhaust inside the frame most of the way back, if one were to put the exhaust lower than the frame then there is a lot more room. I may look at that option since my truck is not going to be a low rider but a daily driver. If I was going to slam it then I would change the way a lot of things are routed like the E brake cable (would go to disc rear wth different E brake cables) different crossmember for trans and rear suspension. Kieth

link to some pics without exhaust.......http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...53807394_36sMS

guess we are up against the same problem looks like to me I will go lower that the frame and most issues will go away..........
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote