The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
1967stella

Alternator bracket question

Ok so in my 67 327 i was having problems with the prior alternator bracket setup, it was flexing under the torque and spraying belt all over the place at high rpm, so with my mechanics advice i decided to go with the summit low mount billet mount part number, SME-2005 and so far have had many more problems with this. First one of the bolts on the alternator side of teh bracket snapped, which wasnt all that bad except when i replaced the bolt with one from homedepot the actuall bracket its self snapped. So i had to wait for almost 2 weeks for the bracket to come back in from summit. Keep in mind this truck is my daily deiver so its been hell getting to work. The part came in and bolted it up and no problem untill i went to work the next day... one of the two bolts that bolt into the block its self snapped.. in the block, about an inch. It screwed up my chrome alternator bracket pretty good. WEhen i went to extract the screw the first extractor bit i used couldn't cut it and stripped, and so i went to get a new more expensive set and damn bit broke in the stupid bolt i was tryin to take out. Im just about done with this type of bracket. What brackets is everybody using, oh also i have bigger headers so the traditional header mount alt. bracket wont work i dont think. Im just tired of spending alot of money on this stupid issue.
Ahh thanx, sorry for the rant haha
1967stella is offline   Reply With Quote