The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Are Rocker Switches Replaceble?

Got to do some wiring on the valves to test them all out last night, and all the valves work (yay!), but one of the rocker switches doesn't. I got the switch box from my bro, and it looks similar to this one:

The switch that doesn't work is the right-rear-dump. I pulled it apart and put power to the plug on the bag and it activates the valve, but won't activate by the rocker itself.

Also, some of the rockers stick after pressing them.

I guess the question is, do I need to buy a new one or should I try to fix the one I got?

Thanks!

Sorry, but I meant to put this in the suspension forum...can a mod move it if necessary?

Last edited by tubbedII; 01-13-2011 at 02:05 PM.
tubbedII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
dznucks

Re: Are Rocker Switches Replaceble?

you can get those at any electronics shop. radio shack might even carry the switch. should be less than a $2 switch.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Well, over the weekend I went to every electronic shop around that I knew of and even went to a few based on the shop's recommendations and no one had this specific rocker. Anyone know a spot online that I can pick these up at? It's either pick up the switches and re-solder them myself, or pick up a whole new switch box...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Boneyard

Is there a brand name on the switch itself such as NKK, Omron, Carling, Eaton? If so this site might help. http://www.alliedelec.com/search/sea...854&ps=60&pn=1 Or http://www.digikey.com/?cshift_ck=10...8234&WT.srch=1 Here's something else you might try first. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700 If you're real careful you can also disassemble the swicth first.

Last edited by Boneyard; 01-18-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Boneyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks, Boneyard! I started to try and pull a switch out, but the way they are soldered together makes it impossible without removing the solder. I didn't try to look for a brand name, but in searching the AVS website I found their part # (sw4) for the switch that looks exactly the same from both top and bottom. They sell the switches for $4 ea, and searching the web (including the links you posted) AVS is the cheapest.

So, now it's a matter of either buying 7 new switches (7 because the box was out in the weather and the reason for some sticking) and resoldering the set up, or just buying a new box...
Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Boneyard

I hate soldering. What I do at work is disassemble, install parts from new switch and reassemble. Most switches can be taken apart with a small flat tip screw driver. If you have to replace one anyway you might try that.
Boneyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'll give it a shot!