The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
mannyb.

new speedometer cable but odometer still reads off

so i put in a new speedo cable from truckandcarshop. the speedometer works like a charm. but the odometer only moved .3 miles on my 8 mile drive to work. any suggestions?

thanks in advance

1963 LWB C10. tired 230. soon to be sbc350!!!!
i just wanna go fast!! shake & bake, baby
mannyb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
derail

Re: new speedometer cable but odometer still reads off

My guess would be that the odometer gear is cracked and broken. I only say this because I just went through the same issue. They don't make any aftermarket ones that I could find. I ended up buying another cluster from a board member and taking the gear out of it. maybe it just hasn't broken completely off and that's why it registers some of the time.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
mannyb.

k. how difficult is it to get to the gear for inspection?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
derail

Not too difficult, but you'll have to pull the cluster out. I'd never pulled one apart before and I did it in a couple of hours. Just be careful to remember how everything goes back together. Mine was broken in half, and once I got the cluster out, with a little moving, I could hear the broken peice rattling around inside. Here's a pic of the broken peice on mine. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm leading you down the wrong path.
Attached Images

derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
PAPA KENT

Smile Re: new speedometer cable but odometer still reads off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyb. View Post
so i put in a new speedo cable from truckandcarshop. the speedometer works like a charm. but the odometer only moved .3 miles on my 8 mile drive to work. any suggestions?

thanks in advance
i have one if you need it.i paid $25.00 for the entire cluster. i took apart the entire head cleaned and re lubed all moving parts and set the odometer back to showing zero miles and tested it for 4 miles.the only problem is i broke the end off the main shaft removing the needle so you would have to use your drum and needle and they are pretty simple after you get into it.i have gone through many of these in the past but this is the only one that has ever broke on me.but if you have a spare head for parts just pay close attention to what screws go where.good luck!
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
mannyb.

good lookin out. $25 sounds well worth the headache of trying to find just the gear itself. heres another funny one, on my way home that night when it only went .3 miles, it showed i went 4miles ??? i guess i just need to pull it out and inspect the gear. maybe it just needs lube?? what kind of lube would you recommend if thats all it is

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
PAPA KENT

Quote:
good lookin out. $25 sounds well worth the headache of trying to find just the gear itself. Heres another funny one, on my way home that night when it only went .3 miles, it showed i went 4miles ??? I guess i just need to pull it out and inspect the gear. Maybe it just needs lube?? What kind of lube would you recommend if thats all it is
i use a lite white grease on the screw portion of the gear and with a 3 &1 oil on both end shafts.on the end shafts lightly oil both the inside where the gear and the housing meet and the mounting holes on each end.you will see how simple they are once inside of it.let me know if you need one.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
mannyb.

thanks for the help! it wasnt as bad as i thought the hardest part was knowing that i chipped my paint when i pulled the cluster out. but the gear wasnt broken. mine is metal??? but it did look a little stripped though. i lubed it up like you said and gave it a test w/ a drill and the old cable. beautiful! thanks again, if it does go completely out, i will contact you for one.

Last edited by mannyb.; 01-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
PAPA KENT

Quote:
thanks for the help! it wasnt as bad as i thought the hardest part was knowing that i chipped my paint when i pulled the cluster out. but the gear wasnt broken. mine is metal??? but it did look a little stripped though. i lubed it up like you said and gave it a test w/ a drill and the old cable. beautiful! thanks again, if it does go completely out, i will contact you for one.
i'm glad to hear it! i have seen very few metal gear drives but they are out there.glad to hear it's back working again.
take care.