The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
willstruck

speakers

Bought this truck, no speakers. Just 2 cheapy boxes behind the seat with preloaded 10s and horns. The grills in the dash are all busted out. I wanted to see what ideas others have come up with. I have 2 sets of 6.5s I was thinking about using, but I"m not sure where to put them.

Post pics of your speaker setups.
willstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
76stepsidechevy

Re: speakers

I don't have any pics on here but i made a plate replace the factory 4x10 with two 4" drivers and built boxes out of mdf/fiberglass that fit tight into the cab corners for 6x9s. Im running a small amp for the 6x9s and run the 4s off the head unit and its loud and clear. Still on the lookout for a shallow 10 inch sub for a little more bottom end but its not bad at all like it is.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
willstruck

I'm thinking about doing a 12" or bigger sub under the seat, but trying to get some midrange speakers set up looking clean and simple.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

If you need mega blast sound I can't help you, but if you want semi-stock, I put homemade speaker boxes in the cab corners to house speakers, put a 6 disc CD changer in a homemade behind the seat storage box, and put small speakers in holes cut into the kick panel area.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
willstruck

Ya, that's what I was looking for. Do you have any pictures of the speakers in the kick panel?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
muthstryker

Here ya go..

Dirty in this picture..

muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I think the kick panel speakers are about 5" diameter - trim takes it up to about 6.25" diameter and pretty much fill up the space, as you can see. The Huskyliner floor mats partially hide the bottom of the speaker trim ring. You have to hack up the kick panel and the metal behind it, and the standard speaker magnet is real close to the metal behind, but it does not seem to affect the speaker performance. I don't think this would work with mega blast deep speakers. These are about 8 year old Pioneers, but you can get nice speakers cheap now - I saw some nice Sony speakers at Walmart for $20 for a pair. The homemade storage box might handle a sub if it wasn't too big, plus you could custom build it to fit your equipment, plus have some handy additional storage behind the seat. There is a metal strip which hangs down below the rear window which can be used to fasten a storage box on the top - fasten anywhere else and the screws will come out the back of the cab.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
81c10

I want speaker boxes like that for 6x9's. Behind the seat in the cab corners..there a spot online to buy premade boxes?? Also have a mtx 8500...want to put it in an armrest and convert to bucket seats...anybody know where to find these? I don't have a place to build them.

Thanks to all who respond.
Posted via Mobile Device
81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81c10 View Post
I want speaker boxes like that for 6x9's. Behind the seat in the cab corners..there a spot online to buy premade boxes?? Also have a mtx 8500...want to put it in an armrest and convert to bucket seats...anybody know where to find these? I don't have a place to build them.

Thanks to all who respond.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually there is a spot, hes a member here. heres a link..

http://73-87.com/#Speaker Brackets

Last edited by muthstryker; 01-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
StrokinRat

Willstruck... Get up with Jeff (Bigblock73) and order some. I have a set in my truck and i love them. Easy to install. Thru in a couple of pics for ya. Of course the last pic is b4 the truck was repainted.

Tucson> i like the speakers in the kick pannels. I'll be doing this to mine. B/c of the new seats i put, it muffles the sound of the corner 6x9's speakers i have.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
81c10

He'll yeah. Ill be picking up a pair of those. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I have a link in my signature to my build-up. I don't think I'll post the pics here seein as everyone is probably tired of seeing them

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
81c10

How about sub woofed center consoles? I wanna convert to bucket seats. Anybody know where to get a premade armrest sub box combo??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
AceX
>130dB Moderator

That's waht I'm working on this summer probably. Looking at doing a single IDmax 12 in a ported enclosure, firing at the back wall so you won't even see the woofer, and a set of 6x9 components in the kicks, also form Image Dynamics. Staying with the same amps, but making a new back wall that will act as an amp rack.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
willstruck

Awesome! Thanks for all the pics. I have a lot better idea of what I'm going to do now.