The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
ThomasTedder

Brake problem

I got this 82 C20 after it was sitting in a field since 1997. The brakes on the right side both worked and the one on the left side weren't. I put on a new master cylinder, left front caliper, and left rear wheel cylinder. The left rear brake bled fine, but I cannot bleed the left front brake. I have a vacuum bleeder and I still cannot get any fluid through the left front. I separated the hose from the new caliper and I cannot suck fluid through the hose either. Pushing the brake will not squirt any fluid out of the hose. I know the master cylinder isn't bad, because the right front brake works. I cannot remove the brake line without destroying it so I need to know if the Combination valve can cause a problem like this before I assume the hose is plugged. I read in the book that the combo valve won't engage the front brakes until there is enough pressure on the back brakes, but I know the back brakes work (they will squall the tires). The book also says to depress a pin on the combo valve when bleeding. I had someone press the brakes while I held the pin. I was watching the dangling hose and nothing still comes out. All that happens is the pin stabs my finger. I even used a steel wrench to hold the pin and still nothing will come out of the hose.

So am I looking at a bad combination valve or a plugged hose?

Here's a pic. The camo is what sold me on it.

Last edited by ThomasTedder; 01-15-2011 at 07:17 PM.
ThomasTedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Brake problem

if you cant remove the brake line without destroying it im betting its shot

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
ThomasTedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
if you cant remove the brake line without destroying it im betting its shot
It's not that bad looking, it's just that the shoulders are so damn narrow and I can't really get a wrench on it properly. I just know I'll round off the shoulders if I try to remove it. Basically, I'm poor and I'd like to know that it's clogged before I replace it.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Tom. Combination valve will not block left to right fluid flow. It will control front to rear, so if the rears are working and the right front is working the combination valve is OK. Check the line (steel one) from the combination valve to the left front hose connection. If it's not damaged, replace the hose to the caliper. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
ThomasTedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Tom. Combination valve will not block left to right fluid flow. It will control front to rear, so if the rears are working and the right front is working the combination valve is OK. Check the line (steel one) from the combination valve to the left front hose connection. If it's not damaged, replace the hose to the caliper. jim
Thanks Jim
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
lilpoindexter

Try changing just the hose...should be relatively easy, spray PB blaster on the nut an hour ahead of time.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
ThomasTedder

Alright, I'm going to replace the hose when I get some money.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
silvereagle07

When I replace the hoses on my c10 last summer , I have to remove the combination valve to get the left front hose off. It was trying to strip so I remove them both and locked it in a vice. With a little persuasion, I was able to remove the brake hose. The hoses are really bad about collapsing with some age on them. They are cheap and I would replace both sides. Good luck.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
rfmaster

I had nearly identical problem with brakes on my '75 few month back. The culprit was a collapsed rubber hose (<$15) between caliper and hard line (front right). To remove flex hose use plenty of WD-40 or rust-break spay to loosen up connection between flex hose and hard line. To disconnect flex hose I used flared crow foot to prevent rounding off shoulders on the flare nut (IRC 3/8 or 7/16"). I replaced all brake rubber hoses - they are cheap and after 36 years of service rubber collapses.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)

Last edited by rfmaster; 01-17-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add photo
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
ThomasTedder

I'm glad to know it's not the combo valve. I think I'm going to soak it in PB Blaster and cut the hose right next to the fitting and put a socket on it (since I don't have to save it).
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTedder View Post
I'm glad to know it's not the combo valve. I think I'm going to soak it in PB Blaster and cut the hose right next to the fitting and put a socket on it (since I don't have to save it).
The brake line has the male inverted flare (Double /SAE 45 degree Flare) and rubber hose is equipped with corresponding female inverted flare. To uncouple this junction you'll have to turn male side of inverted flare and keep rubber hose from rotating. Turning from rubber hose side will twist (and break ) brake line - not a good thing at all!

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
ThomasTedder

Very good info, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
ThomasTedder

UPDATE!

The flexible hose was the problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the hard brake line off without rounding off the shoulders. I knew it was going to happen. I just clipped the hard line at both ends with a pair of dykes and put a socket on them. I got 18" of hard line pre-flared with the ends already on for like $6 and bent it to fit. Now, my left front brake works.