The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
roughedup72

Why does this happen, Please read and help

I have a 3:73 posi rearend. When I try to roll the truck backwards i can hardly move it. If I roll it forwards it rolls fine. Is this typical of a posi unit or am I about to be rebuilding my rearend. I notice it feels a little more slugish also. It even does it if it's in reverse. It feels like something is binding or as if the brakes were on.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
67sss

Re: Why does this happen, Please read and help

parking brake stuck?
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
roughedup72

It releases and the drums arent hot after driving it. That was my initial thought also so I checked it to see. As a matter ofact I remember when I put new brakes on the bake I had both drums off with the truck jacked up an tried to turn the axle and couldn't hardly rotate it backwards, no problem forward though.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
67sss

if you put new brakes on, I'd make sure you didn't put em on backwards. I think(not 100%) the larger of the brake pads goes toward the rear of truck, cause it does the majority of the stopping.
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
bajaracing

I'd pull the cover off and take a lil peek.. Maybe even drop the driveshaft to reassure the issue is in the back end. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
bajaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
dixietruck71

a buddy of mine had this problem shortly after doing a brake job. turned out that he had the shoes backwards. the larger shoe gos on the back, it is the e brake shoe. the smaller shoe gos on the front side of the backing plate.

71 gme Sierra Grande lwb.
68 Rambler American 2 door
75 jeep cj5
dixietruck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Kokomoooo
Account Suspended

I had that problem once. I would back up and it would barely move, then something would pop loose and it would roll freely. Turned out to be dirt or some other debris in the line. I removed the line from the proportioning valve and blew it out, re-bled, and the problem went away.
Kokomoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
roughedup72

The reason I redid the brakes was because they were on backwards,lol. That was causing all kinds of problems.When I changed them around to the way they are supposed to be is when I noticed it. I had both drums off and would try to rotate the axles by hand, could hardly move it in reverse and move it freely forward. I am going to drop the driveshaft today and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

I have the same problem right now(can go backward) Pretty sure mine is the parking brake cable not returning all the way.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
dadsworktruck

Check out this lil pdf, when you said twice you removed the drums and it does same thing i just can't see it being a brake problem, but stranger things have happened, it might not be your problem but wouldnt hurt to try....good luck........http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5315-3.pdf
dadsworktruck is offline   Reply With Quote