The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
actconstruction

72 LWB to short box with 91 Van guts... Here we go!!

Hey, guys. I'm documenting this build to show how you can build an amazing Chevy pickup without straying much from "junkyard" parts. I run a small scrap yard (plug), so most of the parts will come from the vehicles I take in. Yes, I am trying to prove a point. But more importantly, during the course of the build I came across numerous problems which I found hard to research, and I want to share what I've learned with those who have shared so much with me. This is my first build thread, so please be patient with me and feel free to correct me (constructively, please). I'll try to make it worth your while. First, I'll focus on the powertrain.

Last edited by actconstruction; 02-04-2011 at 01:06 AM.
actconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
actconstruction

Out with the old, in with the new... Sort of.

Okay guys. It looks like this is going to be slow. I'm going to be travelling a lot for work, so it's going to be rough but I'll find time. I'm trying to have my big blue cake and eat it too. I will be building this entire truck from junkyard or similar parts. In other words, wherever I have an opportunity to use something stock or "stock replacement" rather than custom rod parts, that is what I will be doing. That said, here's my starting point. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of taking pictures today when it started hailing out. It probably won't stop for a couple days, but here's what I've got so far.
Humble beginnings: This is my stock 72 El Camino SS 350 2 BBL Carbed block, ready for a facelift.

This is a 2 BBL TBI injected 300 HP 350 from a 1991 G30 Sport Van. It will donate top end, flywheel, fuel pump cover, and some other stuff you'll see as we go. (Actually, we'll all find out together)

Here is the 4.3L (sorry it's already stripped down) from 1 1999 Chevy Blazer. It will donate modern AC, climate control, 105 amp alternator, leather electric seats, serpentine belt conversion, alternator, coil, and some other stuff.