The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
mlc216

s10 swap mounting running boards

How did you guys that are running s10 frames mount your running boards?
mlc216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Thadious

Re: s10 swap mounting running boards

I used the stock ones, but with some severe cutting, betting and welding...

Cheers,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
mlc216

Thats what I'm thinking of doing... do you have any pics?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Thadious

None that I did during the fabbing of. So, until I pull it apart for painting I won't.

What I did do was to bolt up the running boards to the back fender and clamp the front end to the front fender. Measure up the distance to the frame and the height up from the running board mounts... then just some creative bending to get the angles right. The rear one it the real pain since it's a dog-legged setup (you'll see what I mean). But take your time and go slow. Having a second set of brackets helps alot too! I ended up redoing one that I wasn't happy with. The opposite side is alot easier since it's a mirror image of the previous.

Depending on how low you drop the cab on the frame will totally dictate where your brackets end up. So unless you're 3 1/2" ish off the frame, yours will be different than mine....

Cheers!
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Clay54

Google a "1948 chevy 5 window on an s10 frame" and go to post number 17 and check the pictures for the next several posts. This guy did a fantastic build that I am sure you will enjoy. Be sure to put "an s10" not "a s10". Incorrect grammar you know.

Clay

Last edited by Clay54; 01-19-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
mlc216

That thread provides excellent information!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
texas56

Ill have to say I HATED this part of my build. We did same as above, cut welded and bent lol..
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas56 View Post
Ill have to say I HATED this part of my build. We did same as above, cut welded and bent lol..

.................and cussed a lot.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
mlc216

so far I've decided I'm going to remove all the brackets from the running boards, bolt them to the rear fender, and tack them to the front fender and then take a bunch of measurements to make what I need... I'll try to take pics as I go, but with my cab mounted an inch or so off the frame I'm sure my brackets will be much different then others...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
62ChevyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay54 View Post
Google a "1948 chevy 5 window on an s10 frame" and go to post number 17 and check the pictures for the next several posts. This guy did a fantastic build that I am sure you will enjoy. Be sure to put "an s10" not "a s10". Incorrect grammar you know.

Clay

I think you're talking about my thread on Killbillet. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=16296

The running boards are kind of a hassle but weren't as bad as I thought they might be. If you don't put the body as low on the chassis as I did I think it would be a little better when trying to use the original running board mounts. One thing I learned on my build, the lower you put it on the s10 chassis, the more hassle everything else is. I am kicking around doing another one here before too long and I am gonna put the body on it higher and use lowering blocks and stuff to get the ride height back down where I want it.

Good luck with yours.
62ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ChevyII View Post

I think you're talking about my thread on Killbillet. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=16296

The running boards are kind of a hassle but weren't as bad as I thought they might be. If you don't put the body as low on the chassis as I did I think it would be a little better when trying to use the original running board mounts. One thing I learned on my build, the lower you put it on the s10 chassis, the more hassle everything else is. I am kicking around doing another one here before too long and I am gonna put the body on it higher and use lowering blocks and stuff to get the ride height back down where I want it.

Good luck with yours.
And I used 62ChevyII's method with mounting my running boards....and my bed floor....and my 88 bench seat. Thanks man!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
And I used 62ChevyII's method with mounting my running boards....and my bed floor....and my 88 bench seat. Thanks man!
I have both of you guys builds saved to my favorites,
A big thanks to you both!
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
1952ssr

I tried to use 62ChevyII's way also but, had to resort to just winging it my way. For some reason his measurements didn't work for my mounts. My '52 was a longbed and I also had the rear mounts from a short bed (?'49-50), funny thing was the brackets were different lenghts the short beds being shorter. Don't understand why though, wish I had taken pictures. The middle mount didn't have to be cut at all (but can't remember which mount I used), but both ends were cut considerbly.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1952ssr; 01-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
62ChevyII

Hey 52, that is interesting. If I do another swap, I plan to use a long wheel base regular cab frame like you did. Thanks for the heads up on the difference. Looks like you had to do quite a bit more to mount the bed than I did too.
62ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
I tried to use 62ChevyII's way also but, had to resort to just winging it my way. For some reason his measurements didn't work for my mounts. My '52 was a longbed and I also had the rear mounts from a short bed (?'49-50), funny thing was the brackets were different lenghts the short beds being shorter. Don't understand why though, wish I had taken pictures. The middle mount didn't have to be cut at all (but can't remember which mount I used), but both ends were cut considerbly.
Are you running an LT1? I will be using one in my 55 1st series on a 85 S10 frame and was wondering ifyou had any clearance issues with the A/C compressor. Also, if is is an LT1, What type of electric fuel pump did you use?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Are you running an LT1? I will be using one in my 55 1st series on a 85 S10 frame and was wondering ifyou had any clearance issues with the A/C compressor. Also, if is is an LT1, What type of electric fuel pump did you use?
I am going with an LT1 and yes I had to move my A/C compressor to the upper drivers side of the engine. I made my own mount using 1/2 inch square tubing. I am using the fuel tank from the Z28 that my motor came out of. My thread (Freddys 52)has quite a few pictures and info.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
rhodog77

Here is another idea. One of the other forum members is going this route. He has about 5 bucks in to it. This looks like a great low budget idea. The braces are made from super strap from shelving units.

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodog77 View Post
Here is another idea. One of the other forum members is going this route. He has about 5 bucks in to it. This looks like a great low budget idea. The braces are made from super strap from shelving units.

thats VERY similar to the idea i had in my head.
only instead of "super strap" I was going to use steel U-channel..
I want mine to be a tad bit overbuilt... since when the bags drop these will hit the ground before the rest of the frame.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
RootBeer 6117

Questions for you
I am getting the bed and running boards mounted, I have a couple auto body students helping line every thing up and I some questions for you guys on mounting the Bed/ running boards.
1 how much of gap can I expect between the bed and cab?
2 How much gap between the front of the running board and lower front fender?
3 Does the filler panel between the running board and bed stick forward /how much when the bed is in place?
We seem to be having issues with getting the rear fender centered on the wheel and not having a big gap.
I have tried looking for pictures of the full side view of the truck that shows the gaps but it seems most are taken at an angle.

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-26-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #20
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 View Post
I have tried looking for pictures of the full side view of the truck that shows the gaps but it seems most are taken at an angle.
I don't know if this helps you at all, but it's something I did before I tore into mine.

The measurements are all just Stanley tape measure kinda dimensions so they may not be exact. As far as centering the rear wheel, what frame are you using? I'm sure you know that the S-10 longbed standard cab frame is close, but IIRC about 1.5 inches off.
On mine, I got everything sitting on the frame, clamped the running boards on and centered everything by sight.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
RootBeer 6117

Thanks BowTies
That helps a lot,I see they have a pretty good gap in the bed and the filler panel does extend forward.
I am running an S10 frame. Chase's (the student that's helping me) dad runs a Body shop he grew up in the business He (like the Auto body Instructor) are trying to get every thing lined up perfectly.I told Chase they didn't care much about fit and Finish when they built these truck, they were trucks.
Thanks again

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
62ChevyII

I am starting on this process on the 53 I am building now so I thought I would show what I have so far. I decided to do the running boards before I mounted the bed so I would know exactly where the bed needed to be relative to the cab. The splash guard or whatever you call the sheet metal piece determined how I located it front to back. I left roughly a 1/4" gap to the cab. I just mocked up the fender to make sure it looked okay relative to the wheel. Like the front, it is slightly forward but as it moves up it pivots back a little. I prefer the wheels slightly forward in the opening anyway so even if it doesn't moved back enough to be centered it will be fine.

It turns out that the s10 frame is almost exactly the same width as the AD frame at the point which the rear running board mount needs to land so I left the original rear mount attached and just did some trimming/forming to fit around the spring mount where there was a little interference.

Also, with the cab mounted at the height I went with this time, it worked out where the bottom of the running board is level with the bottom of the frame so I decided to fabricate new middle and front mounts. I just used some 1 x 2 box tubing and put slotted mounting holes in them and then cut an opening on the bottom for easier access to the bolts. One is upside down to show the access cutout. These will just weld to the bottom of the frame and then get gussets added.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
RootBeer 6117

That's funny 62 Chevy I had just been on the killbillet site and saw this I log on here and it deja vu all over again. We have been messing with my bed and running boards the last 2 days and as of when I left today I am thinking I might need to move my cab back (and a few less seniors can you say senioritis). Hopefully we will make better progress tomorrow
Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ChevyII View Post
on the 53 I am building now
It looks like you've mounted this one a LOT higher on the frame this time than your last build. You mind me asking why? You sold the last one 90% complete and started another, so I guessing you ran into problems? Mind sharing?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 03-30-2011 at 10:27 PM.
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
62ChevyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
It looks like you've mounted this one a LOT higher on the frame this time than your last build. You mind me asking why? You sold the last one 90% complete and started another, so I guessing you ran into problems? Mind sharing?
It's not a lot higher, but it is about 1" higher.

The front mount on the 48:

The front mount on the 53:

Main reason for that is the cab will clear the gas tank. I put the cab as low as possible without hitting the gas tank. I figure if it doesn't sit low enough with weight on it, we can always put drop spindles or springs in it. The main reason I sold the 48 was I having the urge to get my race car running again so I needed to sell the 48 to generate funds for race car parts. The 53 is for someone else who liked my 48. I added it to the 48 build thread mainly to document my lessons learned. Eventually I would like to build one to keep although I have this itching to build a fenderless rod too. So many projects, so little time... and money, LOL.