The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Susanville-Slam

advice for 1st time body drop

Well after 20 years of wanting a 2wd Blazer, it looks like I am finally getting one as a project. Its a 4wd now, guy wants all the running gear and nothing else so I get to strip it down and then I get the remainder (fingers crossed).
I got a Heidts Mustang II with stainless control arms thats left over from a previous abandoned project, I have a BB or SB, a TH350, big and little Slot mags/tires etc... But I really want to channel the body over the frame (body drop) I have the basic idea on how and the technical capabilities.
Just wondering if anyone here who has done it could offer me some tips/shortcuts or watch out fors that I may have not thought of ?????

1964 Buick Riviera Blk/Blk mild kustom
1965 Olds. Cutlass F-85 Convertible/60s full-Kustom
1971 Ford Ranchero GT 429 cobra-jet ram-air
1973 Chevy Long-bed "Sunkist" work truck
1986 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Broughm
Susanville-Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
draggin86

Re: advice for 1st time body drop

One of he really cool things bout the square body trucks is the body is almost already flush with the frame. Now there are a few way to get the body all the way to the ground. You could Z the frame and cut off the bottom of the frame just under the doors(the flat part that would touch the ground on the frame under the cab) to get the body all the way to go the ground. Or you could go with a porterbuilt dropmember also cut the frame under the doors. channeling or conventional body drops are really not needed on these trucks. I may be wrong with the blazers i am not to familiar with them. Another cool option would be to build a new chassis for the blazer with some box tubing using the suspension stuff you have left over. good luck with your built!
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Susanville-Slam

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of just slicing the floor open above the frame to set the body down over the frame a few inches. I am not planning on bagging the truck its got coilovers on the front and i plan on doing a 3 link with bags in the rear for a quick and easy rear suspension and the ability to adjust for possible cargo/people. So I am after a real low look without setting the body or frame on the ground, but just enough above ground for driving. I have always drove 'em low to the ground and ain't afraid of a little scrape here and there................

Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Its hard to give you a good answer because your going with an uncommon IFS. If the Heidts IFS will allow you to get the front close to the ground, all you really need is a mild step notch and the 4 link in the rear.

You can body drop it, but I wouldn't if your not going to bag it. You can get really low with what your planning to run already. With out the ability to raise it up, your going to hate driving it after a while.

Here's my old 82 with a Scotts IFS and custom front frame rails. When finished the rear would be another 3"-4" lower. Unfortunately it was never finished.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Unfortunately it was never finished.

N2, I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering..... So, Why wasn't it finished if you don't mind ?

It looks KILLER !!!
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 01-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

He sold it
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Susanville-Slam

Quote:
Its hard to give you a good answer because your going with an uncommon IFS. If the Heidts IFS will allow you to get the front close to the ground, all you really need is a mild step notch and the 4 link in the rear.

You can body drop it, but I wouldn't if your not going to bag it. You can get really low with what your planning to run already. With out the ability to raise it up, your going to hate driving it after a while.

Here's my old 82 with a Scotts IFS and custom front frame rails. When finished the rear would be another 3"-4" lower. Unfortunately it was never finished.
Thanks for the photos that is the look I am after, just figured I would have to body drop to get that low........Cause the Truck in my Avatar is low, but the rockers are not as low as I was after and the stock control arms are only an 1 1/2 off the ground now, so I figured Trucks that low were body dropped. Now this gives me some other Ideas........Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
N2, I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering..... So, Why wasn't it finished if you don't mind ? It looks KILLER !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
He sold it
I don't have the time, skills or tools to finish it on the level I wanted it to be. After four different shop deals feel apart for various reasons, I gave up.

Susanville-Slam- There are some great aftermarket "bolt on" suspensions out there that don't require a body drop, section, or Z to get you on the ground. Take advantage of them and enjoy.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Susanville-Slam

Thanks again N2TRUX !, but this upcoming project is on the extreme budget plan I am essentially building it with parts I already have, so purchasing dropped components is out !, I own the Heidts just need the calipers (they came up missing somehow ) but I intend to mount the Heidts X-member higher into the frame for an automatic drop, may either channel body or just remove the body mounts and replace with super thin bushings. Working on a trade deal for a 9 inch Ford and I will build the trailing arms with bags (that I have as spares from my '65 Cutlass) for simplicity and cost effectiveness This project will not be hacked nor is it gonna be a show stopper ! just a Basic grass roots slammed 2WD Blazer.......

Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
made2drag

So I know this is old but I'm wondering if you ever channelled it?
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
bdiamond

Hate to take this thread off topic, but is there a build thread on this truck? I've seen pictures here and there but not all in one place.
Quote:

bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote