The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
coggonobrien

Truck doors on a blazer question

ok i know its not going to look right with the top off, to be honest i don't care i'm just trying to get through the winter. the driverside door on my 69 blazer is crap, can't open from the outside, where the door latch is bolted is rusted through on the top bolt, and the top hinge mounting surface has seperated from the rest of the door. i'm just trying to get through the winter and I do have a clean set of doors that I'm using on my 68 truck. i'm not willing to purchase a door to put on the blazer as the rest of the truck matches the door in its rustiness. can i put a truck door on it with the top on and still have the door shut properly?

Thanks!
David
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Truck doors on a blazer question

No, the top "bar" that goes around a truck door that holds the glass channel and felt will interfere with the factory hard top. In other words, the hard top and the window channel will try to occupy the same space and the door won't even come close to closing/latching. You could take the top off and it would probably close just fine, but that would defeat the purpose of "getting through he winter".

On the other hand, from the factory blazer doors were simply truck doors that had been cut. The factory removed the window channel and bolted them onto blazers. People continue to do this when rebuilding blazers because a nice truck door is way easier to find than a nice original blazer door. LOTS of threads around here discussing the topic in great detail.

Sounds like cutting your nice 68 doors down isn't an option either, you give the impression that they are dedicated to another project.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 01-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Find a crappy truck door and cut it down to get you through winter.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
coggonobrien

pickings are slim around here for parts any more but i guess i will see what i can find and cut to fit.

thanks for the advice
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
1949gmc

I've got a crappy drivers door for you, but I'm about 300 miles east of you. Mine's pretty solid from the molding up and I don't think you can see the inside of the door from the outside.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
1949gmc

This one seems to be near you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...s#ht_500wt_975
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote