The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 PM   #1
kwmech

registration and vin

Last summer I picked up a 68 1 ton longhorn in a wrecking yard [one of those right place right time deals] anyway they picked up on an abandonment and thus didn't have any paper work and gor some reason had to turn in the vin plate. What can I do other than go to the DMV with the papers I got from the wrecking yard and have them assign a vin? Is there a source to have another made once I do some research to find out where the truck was built or is there such a thing as a 1 ton longhorn? The reason I think it is a 1 ton is the size of the frame rails they are the same width as my GMC flatbed. Anyone?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

Pm me, i might be able to help you.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

More likely than not, it is a 3/4 ton. there were 1902 3/4 ton longhorns, and only 213 one ton longhorns made in 68. In reality, the frame is the exact same...right down to teh part number stamped in the passenger side rail (just under passenger door)
Do you have the glove box sticker still? The VIN and model number would be in there and tell you exactly what yuo have, but this won't help your prediciment though.
You have any pics of it? I'm always looking for another longhorn to add to my site.
Welcome to the board.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:21 AM   #4
kwmech

Well like I said the frame rail is the same height as my 69 GMC which has a GVW of 11k with 16'' wheels and 14k with 19.5s. It also has the 'lift' brackets for the th400 that push the x-member up off the bottom of the frame rail. So is the 3/4 the same as this? Or did I fall into something rare? The glove box sticker is/was destroyed -well not quite- but unable to read a lot of info but the truck had the bb towers was the 50 year color scheme, AC, PS, PB, Dual Battery trays 4 core radiator dana 60 rear axle 4.56 gears. Has the split bench/bucket seats, CST emblems on the doors and guages. The engine and trans were missing along with the tailgate, Drivers door was bent beyond repair, seats belts missing. Other than that shes cherry, hardly a single dent on the bed sides Fenders cherry hood had holes up near the front corners for the 'racecar lock pins' that came up through from the core suport. I am going to buy a D-cam this weekend and I will try to post some pictures if I can figure out how its done. But I'm getting close to finishing the restore and need to get some sort of paper work done.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
kwmech

Anybody? Sources?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
kwmech

Somebody has to have some idea. Come on guys.