The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
CVA59

Coil Spring Question

Is there a smaller overall diameter spring i can use on the rear of my 64? NOT the spring coils diameter but the OVERALL spring size diameter. My stock springs are sticking outside the frame 2" and i need them flush with the frame edge so i can run my wide tires and have plenty of clearance. With my current wheels backspacing and rearend width i need this additional 2" of clearance to be on the safe side. I know Jeep springs will work but i think they are still to large in diameter. Ideas?

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Indian113

Re: Coil Spring Question

My TJ springs were the same diameter as the stock springs
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
CVA59

Yes, but TJ's won't do me any good. I need a smaller diameter spring that still has the pigtails on each end.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
mwipp

what about airbags? i know the have some that are a smaller like a 4" diameter. you can easily fab them to fit where the stock springs are. thats what i did... but i wasnt worried about clearence so i think i have 7.25" diameter bags
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

It is my understanding that smaller diameter air bags = more pressure for the same lift = harsher ride.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
mwipp

that is true... but i know im planning of switching to a smaller diameter bag so i can run a lower pressure than im sitting at now... but i was only gonna drop to a 6"bag
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It may be easier to just relocate the spring. Maybe fab some brackets on the axle tube and coresponding location on the frame or a crossmember. Something like on a Chevelle and Impala.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 01-27-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
It may be easier to just relocate the spring. Maybe fab some brackets on the axle tube and coresponding location on the frame or a crossmember. Something like on a Chevelle and Impala.
Thanks Fab. That is about what i have come to the conclusion of doing. It would not be hard to move them inboard and that would allow me to still run my stock suspension. I was thinking if there was a spring out there with a smaller diameter that would be a quick change out, that would be the simplest way to go. I'm sure there is one but it would take me forever to find it, LOL.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

If you move the springs inward you will be putting a torsional load into the track arms, verses the stock design loading the track arm right over the web of the "I-beam" track arm. Consider changing the track arm bushings to poly and buying a track arm reinforcement kit, or look at some tubular track arms. A boxed structure handles torsion better than an I-beam.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
If you move the springs inward you will be putting a torsional load into the track arms, verses the stock design loading the track arm right over the web of the "I-beam" track arm. Consider changing the track arm bushings to poly and buying a track arm reinforcement kit, or look at some tubular track arms. A boxed structure handles torsion better than an I-beam.
Lake...... If i move the springs i will more than likely build new hangers up front under the frame rails and line the arms up parallel to the frame. I will then build a new crossmember for the springs to mount to. Essentially it will be similiar to a ladder bar setup. I won't be offsetting the springs from the arms. I am not fond of that either.

www.23t.weebly.com