The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Another "Q" About air bags...

Yeah, I know guys.... Like there havent been enough. I am restoring my 71 Shorty and have considered bagging it. My truck wont be an everyday driver but probably 2-3 days a week. How reliable is a bag set-up and have any of you guys driven a truck daily with bags? Any problems? I have heard of trucks that end up leaning when bags are used, and also heard of dreaded blow-outs , etc..? Any other cons, because I know most of the pros. Any info here will be great and thanks in advance.

Jason
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
Dropt72Shortbed

big rigs ride on air all day long. Reliability only comes from a good install. only reason your truck would lean to one side with bags is if you ran less air pressure on one side, just add some air at itll even out. as for blow outs, these only occur from bags rubbing on metal, once youre done installing your bag should not rub on anything within its full range of motion. also air lines sometimes need to be kept away from exhaust, something rubbing on an airline excessively will also cause it to fail.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
smokekiki
Mike

Bags are as reliable as the install.It is very important that the bags do not rub on anything,the lines do not rub.In all the years I drove tractor trailer I never had a bag fail.They were firestones.I know the ones on our trucks are smaller,but they are strong as long as they do not rub or over inflate.A 4 way set up will stop leaning.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

I recently installed bags on the rear for starters, and I love them, they ride better than springs, and recover from bumps faster. theres not as much spring, the bag sort of acts like a dampener of sorts.

If I where you start off with rear bags, and move to fronts later. Just to see how you like them. Rear are cheaper to install.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Thanks for the replies guys, I was trying to decide which would produce a better ride. I was curious as to which handles better springs or bags. I think it depends how its set-up.

Jason
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Your right alot has to do with a good install and a balance of componets for what your looking to do with it. But I'll tell you this in my opinion bags are a superior drag racing set-up for trailing arm trucks
(406)675-8082

Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 PM   #7
SCOTI

What is your goal w/your truck?

In most instances, the right springs will handle better than bags. So if your goal is a corner carver, use specifically rated springs w/matching high quality shocks & upgrade to a larger sway-bar.

If your just going for the 'killer look', for the amount of drop that bags offer, they will give a better ride quality over short/stiff springs & are adjustable as well. If you use bags, spend the extra $$ for 4-way control (either manual switches or solenoids) to avoid 'leaning' related issues & use good sway-bar bushings w/the stock bar.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #8
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Thats not true anymore. With your higher psi/ higher weight carring capacity bags you can get a way bet ride, and corning, than any spring readily available for our trucks. The reason is that when at ride hiegth with heavy duty bags the first inch or so of travel is softer than say the second inch etc.. etc... Bags are like having varible rate springs literailly. So when say hitting small say wash board in the road where say a inch or so of travel is used the bags are a little softer. When hitting bigger bumps in the road they get firmer as compressed. So this will apply to cornering also. The more your truck tries to lean to the left if a right hand hard corner the harder the bag becomes. Allowing less lean at speed. Also a good traight of bags is that they dampen better than springs, so recovery from bumps is faster. You could also set you suspension on our trucks with bags so that a lower stance the bags have more psi at ride height stiffening the suspension. All easy to change in a weekend on our trucks. All taking in the obvious must have 4 corner bag control

I tested this with my blazer on a big hump in a road I travel often. Before I changed the back of my blazer to bags I measure rear ride height. Then took this hump at 50 which is normal speed for it. I allways at passed 50 with springs bottomed out the rear. When I got bags I set up rear ride height pressure the same as my hiegth with springs and took the hump at 55, then 60 and finally at 65 I bottomed out the rear with bags.

And the rear corners more level now with bags.
(406)675-8082