The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
mongoose

Did you really BUILD your truck?

Not to start a wizzing match... But..

Did you or are you building your own truck? I mean we all know at least someone out there who has said they built their own car/truck and in reality all they did is hand over some money to a person who really built it and when they got it home the bolted on the air cleaner, then decided to take all the credit...

This topic has been on my mind as when I'm spending countless hours in my basement, machining/fabbing/building etc the stuff I need to complete my project, when someone comes up and says they've built their car when they haven't, in my mind, it just urks me to no end.

Also, In your opinion, what would a person need to do to their own ride to actually say they themselves built their own car?
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
notrailerqueens

Re: Did you really BUILD your truck?

well i agree with you here fully and i get plently of flack cuz alot of people cant believe that a girl with hot pink finger nails could have possibly built the truck
now i do give credit where its due and in a sence i havent built the "whole" truck by myself. im not a welder so some random welds and fab work has been done by a good friend and i give him credit for that and my dad did help me drop the motor in her cuz i just couldnt do it all myself. but other than that its all me baby.

i feel that and individual should do at least 75% of the work themselves to claim "they" built it. but at the same time they should still give credit out to everyone that did the other work. and i dont believe in the age old rebuttle "well it was my money that paid to have it dont so i built it" you can only claim to have built it if you have spent sleepless days, weeks, months in a poorly lit freezing cold or boiling hot garage, layed in wet grass or in puddles of fluid busting knuckles and thrashing tryin to get her together just to pull her out and cruise down the street in something that YOU slaved over. part of getting to say you "built" her is knowing that if you hadnt sacraficed all your time and hard physical labor she'd just be a hulking peice of steel with no heart or soul and probably no ability to move under her own power. the satisfaction of that will never compare to handing your credit card over to the local shop and saying "ill be back to pick her up next week."

but again this is my own opinion.

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Not this one, but I am doing the ls swap on it. If you can buy what you want, built right and cheaper than you can do it, why go through the effort? Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

I do all mine with helping hands (when neeed) i have issues with ppl touching my stuff. I'm even planning on painting it my self (don't care is it's ugly) because leaving my truck in some ones possesion is not an option.

I have done so far:
New gas tank and straps
New cab (my mom,y self,my bro,cusin and moms neighbor) to put it on
89 jimmy front clip (Gf and I)
89 Jimmy steering wheel,air dam and rear bumper
took out 20 leafs aside (cusin and I)
new rear rims (tire shop I helped lol)
new box floor
re wire the tail lights
ETC

Way i look at it if i can't do it it's not getting done.

Not to toot my own horn i'm just saying my truck is all me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
mooseknuckles

.....so far 100% me.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
qu1cks1lver56

All me and my dad except for the paint, and I did 75% of the paint prep
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Newtz67

I do everything but body work and paint. I just might do that too this time around though.
Newtz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Telecasterjoey

So far all me!
New floor, inner & outer rockers on both sides, both cab corners, paint prep, motor work And too much little stuff to list lol.
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
nbpro
Account Suspended

(100% of the build here) everything done out of a two bedroom apartment.it's been fun doing it. at least on my end. my nephew doesn't think so cause i'm always on his butt about getting things done. but he's learning. and that was the sole purpose of doing this. for him to learn, so he doesn't have to rely on us old folks to do things for him. heck, when he started, he couldn't tell you a 9/16 from a 1/2. he's learned to bondo, prime, disassemble, reassemble, and any kind of semble you can think of, during this process. he sometimes gets mad at me, but then realizes what he's learning. go figure... kids.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
hitcher

didnt build any of mine but am slowly doing up my 88 crew cab . still got a lot of work to get it how i want it . i do build other peoples cars and trucks for a living though
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
Sillyoldman

If I had the money I'd be tempted to buy the perfect ride but that's not within my reality. I have gained a ton more satisfaction building my own crap perfect or not.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
camshaftgsxr

I don't know about you guys but gm built mine

I'm slowly changing someone elses modifications into my own but since all the stuff I'm keeping was done professionally (interior) I'm cool admitting to it because I've been through it so many times I don't need to act like I did it in the first place. And as far as all future modifications go they will be in house
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #13
asphaltburner

Yo! Thanks for asking!
Here's what I built on my own, by myself. FRANKENTRUCK.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=301610
Please check it out for a moment. The truck deserves to be seen.
Geeze,...wait'll I re-paint this truck the factory color!!
Todd.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Hulk Will Smash

This has always struck me as a funny question on a lot of levels... First kinf of got me when hemi Mopars started getting Ferrari money at auctions...

Scaglietti and Pinninfarina actually hand hammered out the bodies of old Ferraris out of aluminum sheet. A stamping machine built the body on my truck.

I have a buddy who was worked at AAR for Gurney. They had an autoclave and built their own carbon fiber tubs and components.

Its all a matter of perspective and anytime I start to get on my high horse about something I always think I wonder how much higher the next guys horse may be.

I won't take anything away from anyone who's passionate about our hobby and is making a car or truck their own, within their capabilities, whatever that capability level may be.

I do agree that no matter what you're doing, taking credit for someone elses work is 100% bogus. And I also agree that taking credit for other peoples work is an epedemic in our hobby (and in society generally).
Posted via Mobile Device

It's 11 PM, do you know where your IAC pintle is?
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #15
asphaltburner

Yo! I've got a '79 Fiat Spider 2000 Pinninfarina,...cute.
I built FRANKENTRUCK for me! I'd just like the knowledge and experience to help some other Chevy truck folk. That's why I try to show it off,...not to take credit for building it.
Sure hope some of you find inspiration in what I did. Sure had fun building this truck, and now, it's a dependable and hard working heavy duty 4x4.
Todd.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #16
dbmx66

my brother and i have made/ fabricated/ built everything on mine.

from narrowing the rear, to welding the cage , i machined my own motor plate, guage cluster along with alot of other things, we made the fire wall, welded in my rear suspension ( its ladder bar / coilover) including trannys crossmember, ladder bar cross member, shaft loops, we built the motor from scratch, along with the tranny and rear, we even did a race car wiring job on it, you can control everything on the truck from the painless rocker switch box mounted on the cage. i cant think of something on the truck we didnt modify in some way, shape or form

and btw i just turned 18 jan 8th and my bros 20.
brother has a full time job and im still in school 8 hours a day and work 36 hours a week.
weve been building it for the past 2-3 years so i think we doin pretty good.

Last edited by dbmx66; 01-28-2011 at 01:48 AM.
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #17
benoit454
Chris

I do all my onw work, only thing I get done is exhaust work, reason, til now I had no welder, but still don't have a lift or pipe bender. Now I got a welder so I can do all the welding.

I do paint, upholstery, engine, rear end, suspension steering, only other thing I haven't done is rebuilt a trans and that is soon to be done. I've done shift kits and installs and pulls, but never a full blown rebuild.

I've swapped rear end gears and center chunks, pinion seals, axle seals and axles themselves, brakes, front end rebuilds, lift kits,

never done a lowering kit but want to.

engine rebuilds I do it all, only have cranks mic'd and checked, I hone them myself and assmeble. I've rebuilt a carb as well, and wiring I do alot of from fixing or removing junk to stereo installs, alarms etc.

So I've done alot, not everything but almost and I do it myself, no garage, no solid work base either.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

everything is done in house, mostly my self and a buddy of mine,

if you didnt build it, it isnt really yours

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
Quiet Earp

Some people at a factory 25 years ago built my truck. I am just keeping it going strong.
Bought a 1987 v10 shortbed for $500 3 years ago. Did new ball joints, locking hubs, shocks, wheel bearings, front brakes, fuel pump, new motor, and a bunch of sensors and belt driven parts. If it breaks I fix it. I know that I didn't build it, but I drive the heck out of it and will keep working on it. More mine every day.

First post from a lurker. Thanks for all the info guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quiet Earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #20
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

what does "BUILT" mean ?
I have had several projects over the years that I consider that I biult, although most of them was not a frame off total rebiuld. my '88 S10 I put the V8 in, my '93 S10 I did the V8, wire'n exhaust, replaced the interior and did the exhuast. my '84 MonteCarlo was a frame off and my Girlfriend and I have done every bit of work on it include'n paint. My Dually I lower'd, swap'd interior, did the grill swap, hid'n hitch.
I have alway's done all my own work till lately, I did have the cam replace'd in the dually so it would be ready for a raod trip when I got home on R&R .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #21
PapaBo

im in the final stages of finishing a frame off restoration on my 83 k20 and i can personally say i have done everything from rebuilding the motor, cleaning the frame, swapping the tranny, replacing the cab, rebuilding the axles, the exaust system, welding random spots on the truck and most of the body work. the only thing i have paid to get done is the paint job because i dont have a heated garage yet lol
PapaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #22
muthstryker

Checkbook builders!
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #23
80stepsideguy
Laid back freak

I can say i built this project truck from 2 trucks and a lot of sweat n money. Here is the link to my project and a few others i did.But this truck is going to be sweet once done.I would build another 1 but once i build 1 i need to move onto another challenge.Next i want a big block nova or chevelle.Perhaps even a vega.

thanks
pat

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/ramsportguy/
80stepsideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

A friend of mine shot the satin hot rod black on my '73 but I'm responsible for everything else. I had help from friends, to me that's the best part of a build, hanging out and working with friends.

My S-10 was another project I did on my own other than body and most of the paint. The rear suspension, custom interior, 383 build, and many other mods can be blamed on me.

I tell folks that yes, I did everything myself because I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it right. LOL.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #25
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I can never say I have every done any build 100%, I have lots of help from family and friends in help in putting my truck together, the one thing I did pay to have done is the paint work, I am not a body or paint guy I just don't have the patients for that type of work.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote