The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
shiner2001

Door panel touch up project/new hardware

I just recently made new door panels for my Scout and intended to do the same for the truck, but decided to (for now) just paint the old ones and add new hardware. I have new window regulators that will go in at the same time, but today I noticed how far the splined shafts for the windows and door handles protrude. Because of that, I am putting off making the new panels until I can cut down and reweld the shafts and not have to make a spacer to fill the gap between the new handles and the front surface of the panel. This is basically just a temporary setup unless I decide I really like it and don't go the route of custom panels. I am going for a two tone interior (blue and black), so since the doors themselves are blue, I went with a black paint (Duplicolor glossy black vinyl and fabric paint, I swear by that stuff) for the panel. The dash pad and carpet will also be black. Haven't decided on how exactly I am going to finish carrying out that theme yet, but this is a start. I only got one panel partially painted today before the rain and sleet started, so this is probably all I'll have done for the rest of the week because Mother Nature is gonna be a ***** for the next several days it looks like. Anyway, here's a before and a "during," since I still need another coat or so of black before the first panel is done. And obviously the trim and hardware aren't installed, just sitting on the panel for an idea of what it will look like.

-----------
64 Chevy El Camino 357
73 Jeep Wagoneer 360
78 Jeep Cherokee 360
79 Scout II 345
88 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
91 Jeep Wrangler 4.3L
98 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L
01 GMC Yukon 5.3L

"If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is!"
shiner2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Luvlegs

Re: Door panel touch up project/new hardware

It's amazing how something so simple, that covers a good amount of square feet inside the cab, can dramatically change the entire appearance (and influence other opinions as well). I went from blue door panels to parchment and just kept going... visors, clips, seatbelts, headliner (last two not in yet) It's like a different vehicle.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
shiner2001

Re: Door panel touch up project/new hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
It's amazing how something so simple, that covers a good amount of square feet inside the cab, can dramatically change the entire appearance (and influence other opinions as well). I went from blue door panels to parchment and just kept going... visors, clips, seatbelts, headliner (last two not in yet) It's like a different vehicle.
I agree. I can't wait to get one mounted with the new paint and hardware to see the difference in a black one and a blue one. And then the snowball effect like you are talking about to carry on the color scheme.
-----------
64 Chevy El Camino 357
73 Jeep Wagoneer 360
78 Jeep Cherokee 360
79 Scout II 345
88 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
91 Jeep Wrangler 4.3L
98 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L
01 GMC Yukon 5.3L

"If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is!"
shiner2001 is offline   Reply With Quote