The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

What would you do differently?

I'm in the middle of a rebuild and even though I feel like I'm a good planner I have already changed a few things mid-build that I think I would have regretted had I gone through with them. It got me to thinking about what I else is "out of sight, out of mind" at the moment but will show itself after the Blazer is built, painted and on the road.

So tell me what you would have done differently on your long term build now that you're done with it. Paint, engine choice, upholstery, trim, cheap, expensive, etc, etc, etc.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 02-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: What would you do differently?

My trucks had 2 different beds 4 sets of rims and tires 2 different engines and transmissions 3 different drop set ups plus i started to do my interior black then went to grey i also bought a 71-72 shell with billet insert and switched to stock 70 style and i never actually even drove it now im seriously thinking of swapping out my taillights for something different and at the very least redoing whats already done
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
81ShrtBox
MadMan

1. built a vortec this summer that will be out by this spring
2. ran all new 2.5" aluminized dual exhaust and about gave it away.
3. put new tires on wheels that I'm not gonna use
4. I'm on my 4th or 5th paint/interior/wheel/tire combo idea..
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I've had so much time to think about it before I can actually do it that I have several trucks planned out ahead that may never come to be. Nothing has changed on "Project Poorboy",but if it does it will be before I get to it. It's supposed to be about using up what I have in parts reserve. But,since it's supposed to appear to be a '67 GMC I have made some changes by buying '67 things that have come up for sale reasonably. But,I sell what I was going to use to pay for that stuff,so it's still using what I have. I've wanted it to be a Wideside all along and am having thoughts of going Fenderside. But,I have both so,again,it's using what I have. Certain changes I always keep open till late in a build,like colors. I'm sticking with red interior so the paint will be something that works with that. It may be a color you expect to see with red or it may be a head turner. That vibe is on hold pending my mood when I get there and seeing how the truck moves me once it takes form. One thing I've learned is,even with the most concrete no doubt about it plan,it's best to wait as long as possible to decide key things until it just can't wait any longer. I just keep my options floating around till then and that gives a chance for anything overlooked or new to come into play.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
snip...

So tell me what you would have done differently on your long term build now that your done with it. Paint, engine choice, upholstery, trim, cheap, expensive, etc, etc, etc.
Two things I wish I did differently:
1. My 383. I love it. When I'm just about to get hung up plowing snow I just fold over the throttle and well-la! I'm not stuck. However I wish I would have started with a Vortec engine. Better heads. Roller cam. I didn't know better.

2. My truck came with a 3-speed manual. What a POS. I found a th350/adapter/transfer case from a Blazer, had the tranny rebuilt, and installed the whole works. I wish I would have spent the extra $1000 or so and set the th350 on the shelf and put a 700r4 in its place. It would never pay for itself in gas mileage but those lower R's when rolling down the slab at 70-75 mph would be nice. I should have known better.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

I wish I had gone ahead and done the duramax conversion just was too cheap to do it now I cant stop thinking about it now that the guy who was working on my truck just happened to find a side hit truck that all he wants off of it is the frame and suspension for his truck and told me I could have the motor and trans and all parts for dirt cheap. But the 350 runs strong and the truck is done cant see tearing it apart again so soon wife would kill me
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

1, bought a truck with less rust!
2, Drop spindles instead of springs.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Had my 350 rebuilt as a 350.... wish I had spent the extra $$ for a stroker.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I'm a long way from it but paint color is killing me right now! Can't make up my mind. I want to build this Blazer and keep it forever so it HAS to be something I am 100% happy with. Maybe I will just get a few sets of those vinyl body wraps in all different colors and change them out every few days.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote