The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
62 Longbed

I.D. Tag Info / The question has to be put out there ...

Okay , I see we were locked out of our previous thread about I.D.
Plates .. Notice .. New Title ... Anyways we are not trying to push or condone anything illegal here .. but the question needs to be there because what happens if my roof is so badly rusted out that I have to cut my complete roof section off and replace it with another ??? Now is that gonna be deemed illegal to since maybe that roof piece came with a I.D. tag , what if cut out the other area around the I.D. tag so I can use ?? Your still removing the I.D. so persay .. Questions are Questions that need to be asked , how you use this info is intirelly up to you ... but we need to keep the dream alive and the trucks on the road !!!! I'm sure I will get my hand slapped for this , or we will be locked out again ...But normally I sit back and keep quite .. but this got me wound up and forced me to break my silence ..
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
k1rodeoboater

Re: I.D. Tag Info / The question has to be put out there ...

If you're really worried about it cut out the part where your vin is and reweld in yours
Posted via Mobile Device
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Technically it should be destroyed. Find another cab and title, use the good cab and title and destroy the one that is in question.

I noticed today someone on the local CL offering a title and vin tag for a 61 c10. I would be Leary of that to start with but, I would also think the law would stop that if it were not permitted.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
62 Longbed

But again you need to ask yourself what If my replacement roof came with a I.D. tag ???? Are you gonna do something illegal by cutting it out to use on your truck ?? Think about the situation or like most say .. Don't Kiss and Tell ...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
bama63

in alabama you are allowed to replace any damaged parts so long as you document the vin of the vehicle the parts were salvaged from and this includes parts of and including complete cab or frame
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
monolith
Zero Albedo

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have some questions that bear along these lines as well.

(Please mods and members- don't think I'm trying to stir the pot by posting on this subject- just looking for answers where I think I'll best find them):

What if someone's replacing the area that the vin tag is in due to extreme rust (like my 4x4 sub) or perhaps customizing a truck that eliminates that area altogether.(like making a roadster pickup?).

I'm hoping for some answers to these questions before I proceed with anything on my badly rusted suburban- and what are the legalities for cab/body swaps/grafts? I want to make sure I'm not doing anything to render the truck undriveable or unsellable. Especially in California

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger

Last edited by monolith; 02-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would think that if both VIN's and titles were in hand and clean, then the DMV would have no issues with reissuing a title for it.

If someone wanted to do that 62, then as long as they didnt kiss and tell, who would know? BUT and I strongly say but, I would not feel comfortable selling my ride if the need came up, if I were in that situation, call me whatever. I would lay it out there to the potential buyer cuz I would want it done that way if the roles were reversed.

some might call it OK, some dirty or worse, because your not going to be the seller, your kids, or your wife will be and they might not know the whole story. I just wouldnt do it is all I am saying.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 02-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
padresag

any intelligent person wanting to do this could call and go into their MVB and ask them first. There is no guess work. they will tell you
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
bama63

i see complete frame swaps on here all the time so i ask, if the frame vin does not match the cab vin how is that different?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
padresag

it is not but if you ever get in an accident and they check the nbrs, it can make a big difference, even loss of claim. just ask your MVB and see what they will say to you. again they are the ones that hold all of the cards
ron

nobody on here is going to tell as they more than likely do not know

Last edited by padresag; 02-02-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
62 Longbed

Clyde65 , and any other members ... I'm Sorry about the kiss and tell comment .. I didn't mean I would be like that .. Because I'm the type that could not sell any vehicle without being honest about changes made .. All I was trying to state is that unfortanatly in all car and truck venues there are that few that are looking to make big money not caring about the little guy or what may come upon us in the future .. Fix the Classics and Preserve the Tradition !!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
any intelligent person wanting to do this could call and go into their MVB and ask them first. There is no guess work. they will tell you
ron
Most of the people "working" at the DMV are clerks, not lawyers that know the law. You would need to talk to the head of the DMV, and get them to put whatever they tell you in writing and sign it. Otherwise don't take their advice "to the bank".

Here is some interesting reading: http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

Whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Most of the people "working" at the DMV are clerks, not lawyers that know the law. You would need to talk to the head of the DMV, and get them to put whatever they tell you in writing and sign it. Otherwise don't take their advice "to the bank".

Here is some interesting reading: http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

Whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
all of their policies are written down. if the clerk doesn'\'t know just ask for someone that does. that link that you supplied was just a list of statutes or policies that are in their state MVB. your local clerk may not(they should-job description)know all of the rules but they should have access to them. you definitely should have the right for someone to interpret then for you. They have all the rules and you shouldn't need a lawyer to have them defined to you. you may have to be a little adamant with the odd clerk who thinks that they know but don;t.

another thing that is real picky here with our MVB is frame welds. if you get in an accident and those welds are not certified your **** out of luck as far as insurance coverage is concerned. how many of these guye that are putting in "c" notches have certified weld. I would never buy a vehicle from anyone with a modified frame (my personal opinion); there are just to many hack welders out there
ron
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
bama63

alabama law is as follows...(4) IDENTIFIABLE COMPONENT PART. Such term includes any part of a vehicle that an identifying number stamped or placed on it by the manufacturer or other authorized person or any part that can be identified by other means as being a part of a particular vehicle (ie motor, transmission, frame etc.)

(g) An identification number may be placed on a vehicle, engine, transmission, or other identifiable component part of a vehicle, by its manufacturer in the regular course of business or placed or restored on same by authority of the department without violating this section; an identification number so placed or restored is not falsified

so if i read correctly the tag can be removed and re-installed with permission of the dmv

edit...this only applies to 1975 or newer vehicles as 1974 or older are not titled or registered in alabama

see here http://law.onecle.com/alabama/motor-...c/32-8-86.html

Last edited by bama63; 02-02-2011 at 06:34 PM.
bama63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
all of their policies are written down. if the clerk doesn'\'t know just ask for someone that does. that link that you supplied was just a list of statutes or policies that are in their state MVB. your local clerk may not(they should-job description)know all of the rules but they should have access to them. you definitely should have the right for someone to interpret then for you. They have all the rules and you shouldn't need a lawyer to have them defined to you. you may have to be a little adamant with the odd clerk who thinks that they know but don;t.

another thing that is real picky here with our MVB is frame welds. if you get in an accident and those welds are not certified your **** out of luck as far as insurance coverage is concerned. how many of these guye that are putting in "c" notches have certified weld. I would never buy a vehicle from anyone with a modified frame (my personal opinion); there are just to many hack welders out there
ron
Oh, you are from Canada. The DMV here in the U.S. is , well lets just say, not as you have described your MVB.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
scum1

heres what happened to me..

cab 63' - one vin number
frame 66' - diff vin number

the title i have is for the cab, but in nevada they look at the frame. so they dont match. the guy i bought it from has the 63 frame for my cab but a different (64 or 64) cab on that frame, make sense. he got lucky when he registered the truck because the dmv made a mistake and didnt check the frame. so what i had to do was take my truck to california highway patrol and have them do a vin check and make me matching #'s. this was after about two tons of paperwork, phone calls, statements of facts from 5 PO's deep. all in all a hassle. one thing i learned is that the DMV in both ca and nv are completely unaware of any legal information pertaining to these issues and to double check with the proper authorites. in fact almost everything that the dmv said to me was told to be 100% untrue by the highway patrol guys. i was amazed
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
cb1965

now i want to check my numbers. where on the frame is the vin? should it be identical

to the vin on cab?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1965 View Post
now i want to check my numbers. where on the frame is the vin? should it be identical

to the vin on cab?
Mine doesn't match, not even a similar number, Oklahoma apparently doesn't care - found on top of the driver's side frame rail, just forward of motor mount
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
cb1965

is it stamped or is it a tag?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
in fact almost everything that the dmv said to me was told to be 100% untrue by the highway patrol guys. i was amazed
Thanks for the post! This is exactly what I am saying... the DMV and the law are both usefull, but are not interchangeable. The "law" is what we must follow, not some DMV clerk's interpretation thereof.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
monolith
Zero Albedo

This is why I think threads like this are helpful.

I have had very little luck asking even simple questions of DMV clerks.

I've also never even THOUGHT about the legalities of welding on the frame.

And having someone who has been through the process relate their experiences provides valuable insight.

Thanks again, guys, I learn so much here.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1965 View Post
is it stamped or is it a tag?
numbers are stamped into the frame surface - you may have to scrape or clean a bit to find them
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Thanks for the post! This is exactly what I am saying... the DMV and the law are both usefull, but are not interchangeable. The "law" is what we must follow, not some DMV clerk's interpretation thereof.
they both have to go by the same statutes and the police can misinterpret those same statutes. your legislature makes the laws, the dmv administers them and the police carry them out . that is what you have to follow.
ron
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
LT1 Burb

I will just say that I have bought hundreds of vehicles and I have never once looked at a rivet on a vin tag to see if it was original. I just posed the question because my suburban vin tag is painted and I want to do as close to original resto on my shortwide as I can and the tags were neither masked or painted.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
padresag

it was a good question. I think that if one presents it to them, that they may have a solution to it..
ron