The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Chapstr's65

New Guy...Meet BOB

Hello all,

This is going to be a long intro because I have been reading the forum for a while and I can see you all know each other and their vehicles well. This will also be my build thread too.

I just want to introduce myself, and my ride BOB (65 C-10 SWB Step-side). My wife named it because she says it looks like a Big Orange Box. I bought him back in summer of 2002 in South Carolina when I was into illegal street racing with my mustang. I had always wanted a truck of this era since I was a kid and when I found one, I sold my 2000 mustang GT to buy it. I got tired of dumping thousands into my mustang only to pick up tenths of a second when my buddies in their 68 ElCo and 72 C-10 picked up seconds with only hundreds of dollars plus no car payment.

Originally, when I found it (which now I wish I had done more research) it had a swapped in 305 and the original three on the tree tranny. The tranny went out a few months later and I had a turbo 350 installed. It was an ugly bright sea foam green ( no offence to anyone who likes that color ). And everything , I mean everything was painted that color from the exterior to the interior, the motor, and the drum brakes, so I had it painted orange back in 2002 for $200. I have recently replaced the grill with a chrome one (not pictured).

Currently the truck has a 383 stroker and a newly rebuilt turbo 350, that I put in two years ago. Drum brakes all around with the manual single master cylinder, all rebuilt back in 02. No power steering, no AC and I just pulled the heater out of it because I only drive it during the summer. I enclosed a picture to show you why. The frame is good and there is only a few of the typical rust spots in the door corners, the cab corner and the driver side fender, cab floors look good but who knows. Now the passenger side front fender looks like one of the PO’s hit a pole and rebuilt the front corner with massive amounts of bondo. The bed looks like it was used and abused. Considering it has a $200 paint job it has held up well seeing that all I do is wash it and have never waxed it. I never really intended on putting off the build so long but at the time I bought the truck; however, I had just come off active duty with the Army at Fort Bragg and was waiting for my wife’s term to end so we were broke. Then we moved to North Idaho and got mobilized with the Reserves to Arizona two years later and lived there for three years. During that timeframe the truck got pushed aside because I bought several motorcycles to feed my addiction to speed. Currently we are mobilized again as Drill Sergeants again, this time to Fort Sill. Now that we are on the tail of our mob I have sold my ZX-14 and have $7000 to put into my truck.

So here is my question, seeing how $7000 does not go far I was hoping that the veterans of this site can help guide me on a path to best suit my needs and maximize my money. Here is the list of stuff I want to do only question in reality what can get done. The build won't actually start until I get home in April. Wish me luck.

Complete frame off restoration (I am pretty sure it is not possible with only 7 grand)

Sand blast the frame

Sand blast the body minus the front fenders (I think it would be cheaper to get new ones)

Power Disk brakes front and possibly back (with 5 lug conversion)

New drop spindles and 3” drop front springs to match the 5” drop rear

C-notch kit and new trac bar

New 5 lug wheels 20x8.5 & 20x10 (coys, boss 338, torque thrust, etc…that style whichever is cheaper)

Power steering

Re-wire the truck

New smooth tailgate, and smooth front panel and possibly Bed sides

Narrow the rear end and mini tub the bed to fit 20x10 wheels (stupid narrow step side fenders)

Insulate and carpet the interior

Relocate the gas tank to the rear under the truck

Smooth out the dash and install a 63 hump in the center with Auto Meter American Muscle Gauges and build a center console to flow from the dash to behind the seats

New stereo system

Paint the truck a flat black which I can do or have it painted a two tone color

I am keeping the door handles, badges, and maybe even the gas cap but going with smaller mirrors. I just like the look of it all.

New windshield

New rubber gaskets all around for the windows and channeling and new cab, radiator, etc… supports

Thanks in advance for all your input and man there are some bad ass trucks out there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chapstr's65; 02-04-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Chapstr's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Re: New Guy...Meet BOB

welcome aboard...when reading, i had this image in my head that the truck was going to be more of a project...then i scrolled down & said, damn, that looks pretty good just like it is! lol.....i know pics can be a little deceiving, but it does look like a nice truck to start with...if you can accomplish much of the work yourself, $7k will go quite far with the build...good luck with it! and thanks for your service
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
k1rodeoboater

It's to bad you're still not at Bragg, there's a few of us rolling around here now.

...then again I can't blame you for GTFO of here. LOL this place is like a black hole

<eta> oh yeah and you'd be surprised what you can do with $7K if you budget out wisely and shop around for deals. I've got an $8K budget on my truck for my phase one restoration and my truck is in far worse shape than yours. I should come in just about at that mark too, and I'm doing 95% or more of the work myself.

Last edited by k1rodeoboater; 02-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
welcome aboard...when reading, i had this image in my head that the truck was going to be more of a project...then i scrolled down & said, damn, that looks pretty good just like it is! lol.....i know pics can be a little deceiving, but it does look like a nice truck to start with...if you can accomplish much of the work yourself, $7k will go quite far with the build...good luck with it! and thanks for your service
My same reaction,,,to this
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

You can't possibly accomplish your goals for your budget... unless you trade trucks with me.

Sweet looking truck already, partner! I could hope that my truck ends up when I'm finished, looking like yours does before you've 'started.'
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. It’s great to see several new members in the local area. I agree you can get pretty far with $7K, although the wheels may be a stretch because they can be a big chunk of the budget.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

from AZ. I think your goals are totally possible. First you need to become a Craigslist junkie.....I have seen at one time or another almost all the things you need/want. If you have tools and dont mind cleaning and buying hardware and rebuilding stuff you'll get it done. Also sell/trade anything you're not going to use even if it's for really cheep.

Cool truck....
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

It's good to see another North Idaho member.

Looks like you have a nice truck to start with.

I agree that you can go a long ways with $7K but it may not be enough, especially with the wheels and tires you are wanting. I can help you out some with advice in finding the best people to do some of the work you are wanting done. One being the sand blasting.....you gotta be careful who blasts on sheetmetal. I have a friend that does blasting for the most of the restoration shops in this area. If you're interested in a little guidance on where to go and not to go, let me know.

Oh, and thanks for your service
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Chapstr's65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

It's good to see another North Idaho member.

Looks like you have a nice truck to start with.

I agree that you can go a long ways with $7K but it may not be enough, especially with the wheels and tires you are wanting. I can help you out some with advice in finding the best people to do some of the work you are wanting done. One being the sand blasting.....you gotta be careful who blasts on sheetmetal. I have a friend that does blasting for the most of the restoration shops in this area. If you're interested in a little guidance on where to go and not to go, let me know.

Oh, and thanks for your service
Did not even notice you were from Idaho. I would definitely like the name of the sandblaster.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. Yeah I know the wheels are going to take the biggest chunk. I have found the Boss 338 in gray or black on line for about 1500 a set with tires. And I my main goal after that is brakes. I have tons of go power just no whoa power. I have a new (to me at least) hood from California, rear fenders from CL, a score for $50 for the pair, and a new grille support panel I got off eBay which I had ship home and have not seen yet. Hopefully it is a nice as they claim it is.

When we get back we won't be working so I will only time on my hands so I plan on doing most of the work myself and hope to have it done in time for the Car D' Alene cruise night here in Idaho. Well at least a running vehicle by that time. I won't put it in the show because all of those cars are showroom pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Heads up on the 338's; people have had a miserable time fitting the centers over the hubs. I guess they were originally manufactured for cars(?). They may have changed them, but I'm not for sure.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Chapstr's65

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Heads up on the 338's; people have had a miserable time fitting the centers over the hubs. I guess they were originally manufactured for cars(?). They may have changed them, but I'm not for sure.
Thanks bud. Man I sure miss that Az weather. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca for three years in Sierra Vista. Loved it, lots of open roads small town feel with a major city only 45 min away.
Posted via Mobile Device