The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Need some help making my budget work

I have a set budget to do a drivetrain/chassis upgrade/rebuild for my 85. What I ultimately want is a "nice" street/strip truck that I can jump in and drive where I want and also take it down the 1/4 mile and back home. My plans include a LQ4/9 swap backed by a th350 and 9" rear. My budget is right around $7000 total. I have priced out several different routes and I want some "help" to get me in the right direction. I plan to rebuild the motor so it's fresh, rebuild the th350, and get the 9" built. I have to rebuild the front suspension bc it is horrible so I figured a poly front end kit and the right lowering components. I need a notch for out back and some new shocks all around. The fuel system is what is kicking my butt right now. I can do it with the stock 87 style tank and basically stock components for right around $375. I want to run a cell in the rear but that "system" costs around $900 complete. I can't see how it would be smart to run the stock style system only to upgrade to a cell later ultimately costing more in the long run. I don't want to cut corners but I also don't want to waste money. Sorry for the long post but I got so much crap going through my head right now and need some help form my fellow truck "nuts".
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
softballnrd27

Re: Need some help making my budget work

I am also going to do a trailing arm suspension in the rear but that is going to come later on when I gather all the parts needed.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

.... My plans include a LQ4/9 swap backed by a th350
If your going to do an LSx swap, why not do an O/D transmission too? Buy a complete LS take out that includes engine, transmission, harness, computer, etc and be miles ahead.

and 9" rear.
There is nothing wrong with a 9" rear, but why? Buy a used 12 bolt and freshen it up instead of a custom built 9"

I have to rebuild the front suspension bc it is horrible so I figured a poly front end kit and the right lowering components. Good idea! I suggest 3" spindles with one coil cut from the stock spring, or a lowering spring. I like DJM brand for quality and value.

The fuel system is what is kicking my butt right now. I can do it with the stock 87 style tank and basically stock components for right around $375. I want to run a cell in the rear but that "system" costs around $900 complete. Why do you need a fuel cell, or an 87 style tank? You can run a regulated external electric pump on your tank for about 100.00

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-04-2011 at 11:37 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
lilpoindexter

I'm wondering why you want a fuel cell too...it will impress your friends if put in the bed, and they can see it...but do you really need it?
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
softballnrd27

Why th350: I already have it and the truck is going to be geared more towards the strip. An overdrive is not completely out of the question but they are expensive to rebuild with the right components to last on the strip.

9":Same as th350 plus I got a complete 9" with 31 spline axles and a trac-loc posi for $50, so a basic rebuild and I am miles ahead of a 12 bolt IMHO.

Fuel cell: I have thought about this one alot and it will put more weight to the rear and it will hold more fuel than a stock tank. My tank has alot of rust in it, I have to chenge my filters once a month now and the only reason I haven't replaced the tank is bc I deploy in a few days.

Thanks for the comments and I am considering all your comments, I just wanted to explain my plans a little regarding your comments.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread: