The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Is Cort crazy?

OK, so if you've seen the other thread about the suburban for sale then you'll know what suburban I am talking about. Here are my latest thoughts about what to do with my truck.

I want to sell it, but nobody is buying anything these days. I really want that '60 Suburban but it needs a lot of work. Here is where you guys might think I am totally crazy:

I am thinking about buying the Suburban, swapping front ends, doors, cowls, tires and pretty much anything else I can from my '60 to the suburban and then selling my truck with the suburban parts for super cheap.

What do you guys think?

Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
scrapmetalart

Re: Is Cort crazy?

good idea. use all the good stuff off your truck & make the sub a driver then sell whats left over...
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Joemomma1

Do it. LWB, small window Vs a burb? No brainer.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
jbgroby

damn, hate to see you take her apart. Why don;t you grab the sub and simply do a small iiece at a time, I've been at mine going on ten years.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I'd love to Jake, but I am just too young to have that kind of patience. I don't really have the space right now either...
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Delmo

Cort you are not crazy, you just have the sickness. It's bad I know. I actually talked to the old guy about that burb, nice guy. I'm sure you can find enough parts to fix it up without tearing into your 60. It's a beaut man, only do it if you have to.
Delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
KIC
1960 GMC Burb

Boy..I also would hate to see a nice truck like yours disassembled. But, I can understand the need for one vehicle. If you do get the Burb, and you, at some point, decide to get rid of the original rims, I could use two. check out my build thread on my 60 GMC Burb.

Good luck on your decision.

60 Burb Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1960+Suburban

60 to 66 Burbs only Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=burbs
2003 Tahoe LT
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the burb is what I really wanted I'd do it. My truck is worth a lot more to me than what I could sell it for, and if the new owner didn't want to pay that much to own it I'd never stop kicking myself for selling it too cheap.

I think your truck is really cherry the way it is, but if you can't sell it for what it's worth to you, it would make me sleep well at night knowing I kept it and just did a "simple" body swap to configure it differently.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

I'm a burb guy so you know my opinion............................Then I scrolled down to you're picts and said WOW.......................It's too bad you don't have room for both............It would be a shame to dismantle your shortbed to fix the burb......Either way it sounds like a tough decision...............Hemmit

Last edited by Demmit_Hemmit's 65; 02-05-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Demmit_Hemmit's 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
REDNOSE65

I don't think it's that crazy if the burb is what you really want.
Good luck either way.

LOS HITTERS C.C
DALLAS, TEXAS

The making of a Red Nose...
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=396518
REDNOSE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

sort of a similar dilemma I had, just not with a Burb...was debating whether to get rid of my BBW cab/front fenders/hood/etc. and swap on my dad's old chop top cab with rust-free sheetmetal...my truck is in pretty good condition as-is, so i really couldn't make myself take it apart...i decided the chop-top needs to be it's own build...i don't have room right now for two either, but luckily the other truck parts are safely stored until i can get my hands on them in the future

your truck is really nice, so it would be hard for me to take it apart...that being said, i see where you're coming from...swapping those parts over to the Burb would help out alot...if you really want the Burb & this is the last resort, i'd say go for it...can't believe someone hasn't bought your truck, but i know times are tough still
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
62 Longbed

Its a hard decision Cort .... But I think you have to go with your Heart .. If this is what you have wanted .. DO IT !!! If it would help .. I would like to be 1st in line for what is left over from your truck ... I hate to see it apart .. but , if I got it , the truck will return to the road .. Just a thought for you ... It wouldn't be cut or scrapped or parted out ... I even have tinted glass for the sliding side windows but the door glass is 65 glass like the rest of the glass , some misc. small inside trim , and I will will be parting out a rough 1-owner 62 chevy burban in about 3-weeks ... to badly rusted or beat up in several areas , but you never know what you will need .. we could compare notes .... Just trying to lend a hand no matter what you do .. Good Luck ..

Last edited by 62 Longbed; 02-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
oem4me

I cannot advise on your dilemma other than to warn that you may not be the only interested party regarding the sale of this Suburban. I assure you that more people than you know have inquired about it and spoken with the owner (myself included). In fact, the truck would already be mine if I had not passed due to my intolerance of rust. Others may not be as picky.
It's a good truck for cheap, and Dennis seems like a swell guy who won't BS you. I say make him a fair offer, and sort out the details after it's yours.
Good luck.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
I cannot advise on your dilemma other than to warn that you may not be the only interested party regarding the sale of this Suburban. I assure you that more people than you know have inquired about it and spoken with the owner (myself included). In fact, the truck would already be mine if I had not passed due to my intolerance of rust. Others may not be as picky.
It's a good truck for cheap, and Dennis seems like a swell guy who won't BS you. I say make him a fair offer, and sort out the details after it's yours.
Good luck.
good point...i know i almost lost my truck to another interested party because i didn't respond as quickly as I should have...fortunately for me, the guy didn't show up when he was supposed to, & the deal came back around to me...so, if your heart is in it, go ahead and jump on it before it's gone
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Thanks everyone for the replies! You are right OEM, Dennis is a super nice guy and I BS'd with him for over 30 minutes when I was looking at it. If somebody beats me to it because of my indecision then it wasn't meant to be, right?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well, I am going to pick it up first thing in the morning! Thanks everyone for your input! You all can expect a truck/suburban part swap/robbing thread in the next couple months. I intend to take all the components that are in better shape (and will work) off my '60 pickup and put them on the suburban. I will then put all the old parts back on the truck to make it complete again and then I will sell it....so stay tuned!

Last edited by Corts60; 02-06-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

awesome! glad to hear, & i will be looking forward to your progress
Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
**grumpy**

I gotta say I think its cool Cort..
Not that your truck doesnt deserve being taken apart, but I think the burb will be that much cooler!

I had two 63 burbs. Both were clean, and super great drivers. I regret selling both.

By the time you swap everything, think how badass that burb will be. And maybe turn the truck into your daily beater, or sell and re-coop your money.

Congrats Bro!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #19
biasracing

I think you are a smart man...many people never follow their hearts and regret it..
biasracing is offline   Reply With Quote