The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
ItsRandy

Help...I need objective opinions.

I started working on my truck a couple of months ago (I've posted pictures). When I started, I was replacing the motor, trans and rear end and in general refreshing the rest of the truck/body work and paint. Now, the cab and bed are off the truck and I'm stripping the paint off the frame! The truck is/was never going to be a "show" car. I'm going to drive the truck and take it to the local drag strip on a regular basis...you know, have fun with it. Where do I draw the line where it comes to making things like new. It will be a street car when I am done (a nice street car) but if I don't draw a line I will never finish the build and I will have no money to retire on. HELP!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
cerjio

Re: Help...I need objective opinions.

I think the best thing to do is set goals ! write them down . maybe a stage 1 stage 2 an a stage 3 type of thing , what do you want to accomplish in stage 1 , an so forth, thats pretty much how im doing it , although I didnt write them down, I knew what an where i wanted it to be , since I started with 3 trucks an tore them all down to pieces used the best an saved what I could for future use, My main plan was to fix what I needed to , then get it running , so i can drive it , down the road will be whatever I want to add! like A/C , cruise, 383, with O/D or maybe an Ls motor an modern O/d ! its to easy to get caught up in the want a show car with a beer budget !
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerjio View Post
I think the best thing to do is set goals ! write them down . maybe a stage 1 stage 2 an a stage 3 type of thing , what do you want to accomplish in stage 1 , an so forth, thats pretty much how im doing it , although I didnt write them down, I knew what an where i wanted it to be , since I started with 3 trucks an tore them all down to pieces used the best an saved what I could for future use, My main plan was to fix what I needed to , then get it running , so i can drive it , down the road will be whatever I want to add! like A/C , cruise, 383, with O/D or maybe an Ls motor an modern O/d ! its to easy to get caught up in the want a show car with a beer budget !
Thanks for your advice. I have goals...like having my truck done by the end of June (this year) but, I just can't seem to say "that is good enough".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

It would be difficult for anyone else to tell you precisely where to "draw the line" because they don't know exactly what you want. Furthermore, your wants and desires may change throughout the process. I'm in the process of doing very much the same thing. I'm fixing the rust and making it sound. A lot of guys say that these trucks are never truly "finished", and to a point I agree. Post up some pics of your project if you get a chance. I/we would love to see what you're working with. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take it.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I have learned if you stay the course of a plan, such as going stock or resto-mod i.e. lowering, late model engine/trans, and wheels. You will achieve your satisfaction sooner than later, but if you haven't set your sights on a goal then the target will always be moving. Which translates to a never ending project, constant big expenses, and more time in the garage than on the road.

In my early stages of playing with muscle cars, and tinkering with 4x4 trucks I was always trying to stay with the trends. Spending money all the time, and in the end I just felt like I was some company's R&D customer telling them that their new wiz bang dig dollar upgrade wasn't all that. Then finding yourself with a garage full of good parts that weren't trendy anymore, and you are trying to horse trade or sell for half of what you paid for it when it was cool.

In the end, I decided to go the "mostly stock" direction. I can say I get more appreciation from the public, and self satisfaction from this direction than I ever got with my previous projects that never seemed to finish.
This is NOT saying you need to go stock, it's just saying that I have a direction. A direction that everyone can understand, and either hate or love but the appreciation is there and I am no longer thinking if the truck will ever be "right".

I body off resto'd my burb with the full intention to drive it! I often get people saying wow!, then they see an oil leak or one of many rock chips and say "oh my, that must make you feel terrible". I just respond with - Hey, I rebuilt the truck to have fun with. What am I supposed to do, keep it in the garage for the next owner after I die to enjoy? Heck no!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Steve Hafner

As my signature says: " You only get ONE life . . . then you'll be dead for a LONG time" !!! I heard that on a TV show a few years ago and it changed my life. It really made me stop and think. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in December of 2007, had surgery and so far it hasn't come back. ( and, I'm about the last person you'd think would get kidney cancer - all I ever drink is water and I've never smoked ) Now, I buy whatever I want, even if it takes longer to pay for it. The restoration on my 70 started out to be a 6 month, $3000 body and paint job. Two years later ( and another $15,000 ) I'm almost finished with all the "might-as-wells". ( and, the only income I have is from driving a school bus ) I'll forget all about the extra cost, after I've been driving it for a while and taking it to car shows. The first time I hear, from someone I didn't know: "That truck REALLY looks nice" will make it ALL worth it !!!

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Thumbs up Re: Help...I need objective opinions.

Great looking project Randy!

From the looks of it you already have steered your course...
Appropriate running gear…Monster-Strong engine and the things
that gets that power to the wheels.
Lighten the front...weight the back.
Strap your drive shaft(s).

Have fun! Subscribed.
ET
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hafner View Post
As my signature says: " You only get ONE life . . . then you'll be dead for a LONG time" !!! I heard that on a TV show a few years ago and it changed my life. It really made me stop and think. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in December of 2007, had surgery and so far it hasn't come back. ( and, I'm about the last person you'd think would get kidney cancer - all I ever drink is water and I've never smoked ) Now, I buy whatever I want, even if it takes longer to pay for it. The restoration on my 70 started out to be a 6 month, $3000 body and paint job. Two years later ( and another $15,000 ) I'm almost finished with all the "might-as-wells". ( and, the only income I have is from driving a school bus ) I'll forget all about the extra cost, after I've been driving it for a while and taking it to car shows. The first time I hear, from someone I didn't know: "That truck REALLY looks nice" will make it ALL worth it !!!
You couldn't be more right with your signature quote. I have had my truck 27+ years. It has been, at one time or another, my transportation, the back bone of my business, has moved more friends and family or picked up their oversized purchases, than I can count and now it is my hobby. I have had my truck longer than I have been married (both marriages combined). Great advice...thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
dfwright

I'm not sure you're going to find an objective opinion, but I'll offer my own.

If it were me, I'd want the suspension, brakes, steering, and drive train to get the best treatment I could afford to give it, especially if you plan to drive it a lot. Spending less on the body, having a lower cost paint job, or little rust in a few places won't diminish your enjoyment of driving the truck.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
I'm not sure you're going to find an objective opinion, but I'll offer my own.

If it were me, I'd want the suspension, brakes, steering, and drive train to get the best treatment I could afford to give it, especially if you plan to drive it a lot. Spending less on the body, having a lower cost paint job, or little rust in a few places won't diminish your enjoyment of driving the truck.
This board is great. Alot of great advice. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
Beat68CST

Well...

If you spend your retirement on the truck, you'll look DAMN good drivin back and forth to work for another few years!

Just think of it that way (:
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
71gmcburb

I'm with dfwright on this one it sounds like you want a drivable hot rod so I would do some light mods to the existing motor or pick up the lowest mileage wrecking yard small block motor with a carb if your isn't in good enough shape then back it up with a 350 turbo or 400 turbo trans as they are fairly easy to find and very reliable and require no mods to the truck then put a quality suspention and handeling kit under it (I'm useing a brothers combo 4/6 drop and handleing kit that i bought for $1000) and disk brakes on all 4 corners front disks came standard from 1971 on. then you can pick up some Duplicolor auto paint at most auto parts houses, shoot it and enjoy a good handleing and preforming classic truck!

you can upgrade the body, motor and trans down the road to suit your needs but you wont have to worry about your safety while your driving it

thats what I am doing on a very small budget (less then $5000)

for what its worth thats my 2 cents on it

- Robert

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
pumpkin

Some people can never be done, are you one of those? I see no problem with never being done, it gives you something to look forward to. I set limits, meet them, have a bit of fun with it then set higher limmits to meet. I can't see me having enough money to retire and do what I want, so I'll just keep working and setting new goals to reach till I die. Being a mechanic and liking what I do kinda fits in with what I want, so I guess I'm kinda lucky that way.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It really depends on what your hobby is.Some years ago a friend chopped,channeled,and rebuilt the frame,installed an engine and tranny,fitted a new axle and did all the bodywork to a 49 Chevy truck.When it was ready for piant and interior ,he sold it.The buyer promptly painted it,installed an interior and started winning shows with it.Howard did three or four more trucks over the next 2-3 years and always sold them at the same point.I finally asked him,why he didn't finish one and win some shows(I knew he could paint).He replied,"My hobby is building rides not showing them." He did almost every bit of his work alone in his little one man shop,only farming out machine work and such.

So if you hobby is building a truck,you're on the right path.If it's driving it you need a deadline and a schedule.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
rsavage

If you want to drag it and drive it, I would concentrate first, as others have opined, on drive train, brakes, and suspension. New lines, hardware, wheel cylinders, ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc. If you want to go fast, you need it to go straight, turn when you want it to, and stop safely. You can do the rest as you enjoy it. Good luck - keep us posted.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcburb View Post
I'm with dfwright on this one it sounds like you want a drivable hot rod so I would do some light mods to the existing motor or pick up the lowest mileage wrecking yard small block motor with a carb if your isn't in good enough shape then back it up with a 350 turbo or 400 turbo trans as they are fairly easy to find and very reliable and require no mods to the truck then put a quality suspention and handeling kit under it (I'm useing a brothers combo 4/6 drop and handleing kit that i bought for $1000) and disk brakes on all 4 corners front disks came standard from 1971 on. then you can pick up some Duplicolor auto paint at most auto parts houses, shoot it and enjoy a good handleing and preforming classic truck!

you can upgrade the body, motor and trans down the road to suit your needs but you wont have to worry about your safety while your driving it
thats what I am doing on a very small budget (less then $5000)

I really appreciate all of the input. I already have a ZZ502, 4L85E and a Strange 9" Ford rear end with Wilwood disc brakes. I lowered the the truck awhile back 4/6 with 5 lug disc brake conversion with parts I bought from Rob at NoLimit (his shop is only about 5 miles from my house). I have replaced the ball joints, control arm bushings, idler arm and pitman arm. And I have a goal...June 2011. I think I need a Psychiatrist...AhAhAhAhAhAh!

for what its worth thats my 2 cents on it

- Robert
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
ItsRandy

I kinda messed that up!
I have a Zz502, 4L85E, Strange 9" Ford rear end with Wilwood disc brakes. I lowered the truck awhile back 4/6 with a 5 lug disc brake conversion, new ball joints, bushings and shafts, tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm that I got from Rob at NoLimit (his shop is about 5 miles from my house). Maybe I just need a psychiatrist, AhAhAhAhAh!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #18

Depends if your having fun.......
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote