The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
triophan

I'mma Burn it down, I swear.

Yesterday, I spent $500 on a new set of tires.
Today, after I wire-wheeled, primed, and painted the rallys for said new tires, I got them mounted up. Took it to the bank for a test spin.
Now, I had 275/60/15s on 15x10"... now its 15x8 truck rallys with no offset and 245/60/15. slightly lower profile, good tires. (read:not cheap)

Now, it feels like the truck is tracking sideways. Like the rear end is going towards the driver side a little and the front end (as most of us have) has the sloppy steering, crap offsets (ever notice your passenger tire sits in further than your driver side?) for the wheels, retarded alignment, and the wobble noise (which I thought was the old crappy fat tires being dry-rotted and out of round or some crap) is still there along with the same noise an out of balance tire would make.

So help me god, if this truck lives to see the light of another spring, it will be a frikkin' miracle. I've had it up to here, everytime I think I fix something, it just amplifies the other issues.

(on a side note, I'm still driving around in 15 degree weather with no heat. no Guages- new cluster, remember from a few posts back asking for help and nothing solved it. No A/C. Rotted floors, rotted bedfloor, ugh....)

I give up.

It would be cheaper to go buy a NEW truck for $500 a month as I have had the truck since 12-30-10 and have spent roughly, $1500 in 6 weeks time and its still a crappy heap...

Any suggestions on the quickest/safest way to burn this mother to the ground would be appreciated.
triophan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
xrcr

Re: I'mma Burn it down, I swear.

Here's what you do, count to ten then get a large beverage of your choice(I prefer alcohol) throw that back and relax. If it was easy everybody would do it. These trucks are definately a patience tester but in the long run it's self gratification 'cause you built it. It's a challenge but there ain't nothing you can't fix.
xrcr
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcr View Post
Here's what you do, count to ten then get a large beverage of your choice(I prefer alcohol) throw that back and relax. If it was easy everybody would do it. These trucks are definately a patience tester but in the long run it's self gratification 'cause you built it. It's a challenge but there ain't nothing you can't fix.
xrcr
Amen ^^^^

I have found that when i go to new tires, most of my old cars track funny till the tires wearin.

You said you worked on the front end and got an alignment? Or you haven't?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
triophan

no alignment, as i was planning on lowering it this coming week, didn't want to align it twice.

I'mma tough it out another week or two and get a daily, so this can just be a money pit I won't have to drive often...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triophan View Post
so this can just be a money pit I won't have to drive often...

Well..... You could always go over to the dark side and buy a *cough cough*
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

Buying a new car or truck is a pretty ****ty investment, Or should I say, waste of money , not an investment , to have a truck payment , pay for full coverage insurance, Have to pay to maintain that vehicle too, you are not getting ahead. If it runs and rolls on its own its better than wasting money for a payment.

How could you not love that ugly face.
"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

Quote:
Originally Posted by triophan View Post
the wobble noise (which I thought was the old crappy fat tires being dry-rotted and out of round or some crap) is still there along with the same noise an out of balance tire would make.
have you checked the wheel bearings and rotors
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Toxic Redline

it takes a while to make a diamond, Deep breathes a couple of cus words and some broken knuckles is how it usually plays out, most of my YES FINALLY! were followed by you've got to be S*^%$ing me!!
WHEN IN DOUBT--- FLOOR IT
Toxic Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
triophan

Bearings up front were replaced along with balljoints, all the shocks, and the brake lines.

I am not sure about the rear. But i havent heard them...