The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
flatbed51

Selecting a mig welder

I am looking at buying an Eastwood 135 mig welder. Wondering if anyone has ever used one of them, and are they any good.

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
ERASER5

Re: Selecting a mig welder

Just by reading the stats, the Eastwood looks good. The controls are fully variable instead of "click" points. That's a good thing. The face looks like a Lincoln, the color looks like a Miller. The Eastwood price isn't bad, but shipping could be high. The tourch hadle is easy to find parts for. So, I think it is an OK machine for a small 110V unit.

Shipping and service will be the final call for me. I have Lincoln/Miller dealer about 2 miles away, so that will be an influance.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
scrapmetalart

I just bought a Lincoln 135 lightly used & it works great!

That eastwood seems cheap enough.

Last edited by scrapmetalart; 02-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.
scrapmetalart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
msgross

another cheap alternative is northern tools, they sell Hobart (made by Miller, so i've heard).. usually in the $400's shipped and sometimes has a free cart
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
PGSigns

What do you plan to weld? For sheet metal and thinner plate that one will work if you plan to do frame stuff it may be a little light. Look up the local welding supplies and see what they have for the smaller machines. You get to put your hands on it before you buy it and you don't have to pay shipping. Cost may end up being close to the same. You will need to get to know those guys anyway so you can get a bottle of shielding gas and your other consumables. I always buy my bottles instead of renting, does not take but a few years to get your money back.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
another cheap alternative is northern tools, they sell Hobart (made by Miller, so i've heard).. usually in the $400's shipped and sometimes has a free cart
The variable settings of the Eastwood makes it better than the click type settings of the Hobart. Certainly the Hobart will get the job done, but better is better when the price is close.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

I pulled the trigger on an eastwood 135, but haven't used it yet. As soon as my shoulder heals, I'll give a full report, but i was impressed with the ease of set up and instructions provided. Everything needed to weld is included except the bottle, gloves and a auto darkening helmet.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Miller and Hobart are owned by the same parent company but do not share assembly lines or design, they are sepearate companies.

As far as selecting a welder you should look at being able to get the supplies you need without mail ordering at a reasonable price localy. Can you get it fixed without sending across the country and try to find some one that has used the unit. You'll find that brand name welders are like Hellmans and Miracle whip. It all depends on what you started with as to whats best.

I've always used lincolns and I like most all the lincoln's Ive used, but I would not reccomend the plasma pro cut 25 because very few outlets carry the consumables at an affordable price. I always have to order online and buy quantity.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
94tx

One thing to think about on the eastwood 135, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please, then i'll probably buy one), but the wire is constantly hot. I'm pretty sure that's why I waited to save for a better machine. Meaning if you touch the wire to metal without pulling the trigger it'll still arc. Not the worst thing ever, but after learning on a miller, I don't want to relearn.
94tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

I am saving for a Miller 211. It has an Aluminum feed gun you can attach. Miller has an auto set feature also. It is a welding for dummies setting that works quite well. It kind of turns the welder into a hot glue gun for metal. If you are not an experienced welder, it will set the machine for you. For prices on different brands of welders, check out cyberweld.com
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94tx View Post
One thing to think about on the eastwood 135, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please, then i'll probably buy one), but the wire is constantly hot.
I highly doubt that. It would be VERY dangerous to have the wire powered just by turning the machine ON. No lawyer in the USA would allow that to happen. Fires would be happening all over the place.

The older advertisements used to use the word "continuous" when referring to the type of control setting knobs. That may be the source of the confusion. A quick read could make one think the wire was continuously hot, but that is not correct. Now they say "infinite" when referring to the control knobs. I contacted Lincoln about their "continuous" reference too. It was as I stated.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
I am saving for a Miller 211. It has an Aluminum feed gun you can attach. Miller has an auto set feature also. It is a welding for dummies setting that works quite well. It kind of turns the welder into a hot glue gun for metal. If you are not an experienced welder, it will set the machine for you. For prices on different brands of welders, check out cyberweld.com
Wow, that looks like a nice machine. I can stick weld, but this will be my first mig machine, i didn't want to spend that much, but it looks pretty idiot proof.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by no moa View Post
Wow, that looks like a nice machine. I can stick weld, but this will be my first mig machine, i didn't want to spend that much, but it looks pretty idiot proof.
I have a bad habit of buying the best tools I can afford. Sometimes I can’t quite afford them so I save for awhile. Too often when I was younger I would buy cheep tools. Only to regret the decision later and have to buy something better down the road. That would ultimately cost me more money over time. Now I don’t screw around when it comes to my tools. I don’t look for the most expensive ones. Just the ones that will work the best for me. A professional welder would not need a auto set feature. I have mig welded now and again for over 20 years. So I feel I have a decent understanding of what to do. But the first time I used a 211 I was like “ I have got to get me one of these!” I figure that this welder will help build frames / chassis, roll cages, as well as any other automotive bodywork and what not. I hate to be limited.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
no moa

Quote:
I have a bad habit of buying the best tools I can afford. Sometimes I can’t quite afford them so I save for awhile. Too often when I was younger I would buy cheep tools. Only to regret the decision later and have to buy something better down the road. That would ultimately cost me more money over time. Now I don’t screw around when it comes to my tools. I don’t look for the most expensive ones. Just the ones that will work the best for me. A professional welder would not need a auto set feature. I have mig welded now and again for over 20 years. So I feel I have a decent understanding of what to do. But the first time I used a 211 I was like “ I have got to get me one of these!” I figure that this welder will help build frames / chassis, roll cages, as well as any other automotive bodywork and what not. I hate to be limited.
Ya, i hear you, i've wasted more money on crap tools, and still regret it. Craftsman has always been good to me for hand tools, only because i find it hard to swallow buying a set of 10 wrenches from Snap on or Mac for $345 buck. Damn it their stuff is expensive.

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Gobbles

Quote:
Im a rookie welder and I bought a 211 as my starter. I love it, I welded up patches on my chassis and it can be converted to 110V for sheet metal. Great machine. As for Eastwood, if you need service, most places have to do it over the mail, thats no fun. If you have a local supplier it could be a better option though.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Cyberweld has good pricing.I actually priced my Miller 211 thru them,then I took the quote to my LWS and they matched and dropped the price of my tank with a free first fill.Saved almost $200 over buying online but did have to wait a week for it to come in.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Concerning shipping, one thing I like about Eastwood is their Buyer's Club. It's 29 bucks a year and you get free shipping on all orders as well as discounts on other stuff. I pay the money each year as I order a whole lot from Eastwood (40 plus times per year) and the free shipping includes anything they sell. I've ordered several engine stands from them with the free shipping this way as well as about half a ton of powder.

Point is, you might be best off to pay the 29 bucks and join the club just to save shipping on the welder alone, plus be able to order unlimited for the next year without paying shipping for that either.

As to the welder, if it meets your needs I'd go for it. Tips and consumables are available at any Northern Tool or welding supply for the common Tweeco guns that most 110v welders come with.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
flatbed51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbed51 View Post
I am looking at buying an Eastwood 135 mig welder. Wondering if anyone has ever used one of them, and are they any good.
Well I bought the Eastwood 135 with a coupon offer from Streetrodder magazine it was $299 with free shipping. I could not be any more pleased with it. First project I built with it was this cart.
Attached Images

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
no moa

Well I didn't buy the miller211, the matco guy came into the shop, had a almost new mig welder, and 3/8 inch cut plazma cutter. They were 3300 new for the pair. Been used once each. Guy got in a divorce or something.
$1300 for the pair. I think I did ok, seeing as the owner paid the matco guy 1279 for the welder only, 2 moths ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I highly doubt that. It would be VERY dangerous to have the wire powered just by turning the machine ON. No lawyer in the USA would allow that to happen. Fires would be happening all over the place.
actually, my little wire feed welder from harbor freight is the same way. turn the machine on, let the wire touch the metal and it welds. no need to pull the trigger. i thought that was normal til i used my friends hobart. im used to mine so i gave his back lol. but i really would like i a good quality name brand welder one day..

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
actually, my little wire feed welder from harbor freight is the same way. turn the machine on, let the wire touch the metal and it welds. no need to pull the trigger. i thought that was normal til i used my friends hobart. im used to mine so i gave his back lol. but i really would like i a good quality name brand welder one day..
so what's the trigger for?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
kev2809
low n' slo

to make the wire come out...

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
67c10rustbuket

kev2809 is correct there are hot wire all the time mig welders (hot without pulling the trigger) i think most new ones come with hot on trigger. my hobart handler125 is hot on trigger and works great. I cant imagine having my wire hot all the time, I would be accidentally welding stuff and starting fires all the time. not to mention that it would be hard to weld with my flipdown helmet if i werent touching my wire to my starting point before i pull the trigger .

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #24
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Not true---Readywelder sells one that is hot at all times
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
kev2809 is correct there are hot wire all the time mig welders (hot without pulling the trigger) i think most new ones come with hot on trigger. my hobart handler125 is hot on trigger and works great. I cant imagine having my wire hot all the time, I would be accidentally welding stuff and starting fires all the time. not to mention that it would be hard to weld with my flipdown helmet if i werent touching my wire to my starting point before i pull the trigger .
lol..i do this all the time. it sucks because you have to keep a steady hand while you fold your helmet down...now that is tough!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__