The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

I'm ready to put a For Sale sign it in. Tail/stop fuse blows

I'm stumped...
One thing I love about my '68 is the fact that it's easy to work on - most of the time. But, MAN! If it's not one thing it's another.

I've lost my tail and stop lights. Keeps blowing the fuse on the tail light phase of it and I just thought to replace the fuse and see if stop lights work ok...

Any who, I pulled all 4 bulbs and replaced fuse to see if it would still blow and BLINK. Glowed and blowed!
So now I'm stumped. What else to look for?
I hate the electric part of anything. I have more luck with computers than I do old trucks.
Help a fella out..

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
BadaSs_Cal

Re: I'm ready to put a For Sale sign it in. Tail/stop fuse blows

When I got my truck the owner had the same problem... so in order to combat the problem he ran a wire from the brown wire (the power wire) all the way from the tailights to the engine bay and hooked it up to where the headlight/alternator junctions..( brilliant huh?) except that the maker lights turned to brake lights... anywho... long story short...

Check where you plug the bulbs in... if those little connections in there are touching... have fun replacing fuses..

Have you done any recent electrical work on it?

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Bulldog88

Check the real small fuses that are located on the back of the truck by the taillight harness if those are blown the one on the fuse box will always blow also check for any striped wires touching metal
Posted via Mobile Device
Bulldog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
BadaSs_Cal

I didnt have any fuses on my 69.. But I did end up fixing the PO hack job by making a new harness from scratch.. Small fuses you say? No wonder the lights are so bright..lol

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

I always start by checking the ground. Make sure the tail light buckets are tight to the bed.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaSs_Cal View Post
Have you done any recent electrical work on it?
yes and no.
I replaced the starter battery wire and didn't route it right and it created a dead short on the headers. I didn't realize that was happening and had the truck hooked up to another car for like 30 minutes two different times making very hot jumper cables and blowing a battery. So I had to very carefully replace the Hot wire one more time. But no, none major electrical.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog88 View Post
Check the real small fuses that are located on the back of the truck by the taillight harness if those are blown the one on the fuse box will always blow also check for any striped wires touching metal
Posted via Mobile Device
Where are the small fuses at the back? Have a picture of them? This one is new to me.

Checked for the stripped wires and none found.
Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I always start by checking the ground. Make sure the tail light buckets are tight to the bed.
Done

Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
dadsworktruck

try unpluging the rear section light plug, if it don't blow a fuse at least you have narrowed your search for the shorted postive wire to ground, which if i was guessing (which we all are) i would say the bulb socket insulators are bad...but if fuse still blows, then go from rear plug up to fire wall plug check wire continuaty (sp)...
dadsworktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
'70_402

i know this might sound extreme, but i had similar problems, but more of them... and i just rewired the whole truck with a new painless kit... best thing i ever did...
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Check the wire that runs under the driver's side door sill. It will be orange and white. It feeds the dome lamp and is on that same circuit. It is very vulnerable to damage.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

And this will help too:
Color wiring diagram
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel

Last edited by oldgold70c10; 02-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog88 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never heard of these either. Where are they located?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold70c10 View Post
Check the wire that runs under the driver's side door sill. It will be orange and white. It feeds the dome lamp and is on that same circuit. It is very vulnerable to damage.
Yes, I'll do that one.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
406 Q-ship

You know it can be the turn signal switch too. The Brake lights run through the switch in the column. Does the fuse blow when it is put in the fuse block or does it wait till the brakes are applied?

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Brake light switch?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde65 View Post
brake light switch?
x2
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsworktruck View Post
try unpluging the rear section light plug, if it don't blow a fuse at least you have narrowed your search for the shorted postive wire to ground, which if i was guessing (which we all are) i would say the bulb socket insulators are bad...but if fuse still blows, then go from rear plug up to fire wall plug check wire continuaty (sp)...
x2
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The orange wire from the fuse box feeds the dome and brake light switch. It also feeds the headlight switch to power the tail lights and parking lights. It's very easy to isolate which circuit has the problem. Leave every thing off, key and headlight switches, and step on the brakes. If the fuse blows then the short is in the brake light circuit or the dome light circuit. The sill plate short is very common and may be the cause for either the brake or tail light blowing the fuse.

Power for the turn signals comes from the purple wire from the fuse panel and goes up into the steering column. The turn signal wires and the brake light wires from the column are the same two wires, Green and Yellow and they run from the column connector to the firewall connector under the cab to the rear lights. If either of those two wires are shorted then turning on the turn signals would also blow the fuse. Normally the orange wire is not powering the turn signals but it runs through the TS switch and powers both the green and yellow wires that run to the rear of the truck for the brake lights, but not until the brake switch is activated. When either left or right turn is selected the orange wire for that side is disconnected and the purple wire from the flasher takes over. That's why the question by 406 Q ship is important. If the fuse blows immediately then the short is in the dome light circuit. If it doesn't blow until the brake switch is activated then it is in the turn signal switch or in the harness that runs to the rear of the truck for the brake/turn lights.

Now with every thing still off, turn on the tail lights and see if the fuse blows. If it didn't blow in the other trials but now it does then the short is in the brown wire circuit to the tail/parking lights.

Now you must be sure that you have the correct bulbs in their sockets and the correct fuse in the fuse holder because a fuse will blow if too much amperage is pushed through it as well as being shorted to a ground. I apologize for the long post and hope I haven't confused you.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
KEL
72 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The orange wire from the fuse box feeds the dome and brake light switch. It also feeds the headlight switch to power the tail lights and parking lights. It's very easy to isolate which circuit has the problem. Leave every thing off, key and headlight switches, and step on the brakes. If the fuse blows then the short is in the brake light circuit or the dome light circuit. The sill plate short is very common and may be the cause for either the brake or tail light blowing the fuse.

Power for the turn signals comes from the purple wire from the fuse panel and goes up into the steering column. The turn signal wires and the brake light wires from the column are the same two wires, Green and Yellow and they run from the column connector to the firewall connector under the cab to the rear lights. If either of those two wires are shorted then turning on the turn signals would also blow the fuse. Normally the orange wire is not powering the turn signals but it runs through the TS switch and powers both the green and yellow wires that run to the rear of the truck for the brake lights, but not until the brake switch is activated. When either left or right turn is selected the orange wire for that side is disconnected and the purple wire from the flasher takes over. That's why the question by 406 Q ship is important. If the fuse blows immediately then the short is in the dome light circuit. If it doesn't blow until the brake switch is activated then it is in the turn signal switch or in the harness that runs to the rear of the truck for the brake/turn lights.

Now with every thing still off, turn on the tail lights and see if the fuse blows. If it didn't blow in the other trials but now it does then the short is in the brown wire circuit to the tail/parking lights.

Now you must be sure that you have the correct bulbs in their sockets and the correct fuse in the fuse holder because a fuse will blow if too much amperage is pushed through it as well as being shorted to a ground. I apologize for the long post and hope I haven't confused you.
Explainations like this sure do take the pain out of everything.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

There isn't any fuses in the rear of the truck. If someone has fuses back there a PO installed them. Bad switches don't usualy cause fuses to blow, unless they have metal housings and are shorted inside. Then it wold blow the fuse wether or not the brakes were applied. Your switch seems to be working great as evidenced by only blowing the fuse when you apply the brakes. What you have is a short somewhere. Most likely in the rear section of the taillight harness. At least that is the section that most time gets hacked into for trailers. If not it would probably be in the intermediate harness. Both of these harness are exposed to the eliments and are brittle because of it. You can try to repair them, but that is usualy temporary at best. The best thing to do is to just replace them. This will eliminate any future problems. If you need a couple of new OE style harnesses we can supply you with them. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
cdowns

also getting under the truck and checking the whole length of the wire harness that runs down the drivers side frame rail iis good to do especially where they are held in place by the clips on the frame// also look near the rear for butchered abandoned trailer light hookup attempts
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
BadaSs_Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
also getting under the truck and checking the whole length of the wire harness that runs down the drivers side frame rail iis good to do especially where they are held in place by the clips on the frame// also look near the rear for butchered abandoned trailer light hookup attempts
Oh yes.. When I pulled my intermediate harness( wires that run from firewall to the rear crossmember and plug into the taillight harness, there was splices galore.... $7.99 at Pick N Pull... 5 minutes of work. These trucks are very simple for working on the light harnesses. I wouldnt waste the money on a painless kit unless the whole truck harness needs replacing.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I wouldn't waste my money on my painless harness. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #25
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

gotta have a short somewhere in that circuit- probably to ground...
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote