The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
gikken20

pic request and a couple ?'s

I was wondering if anyone has pics of shortened burbs? I saw one somewhere on here but now I cant find it.

What is the wheelbase?

Im usually over on the 67-72 trucks section but now that im fell in love with suburbans im always over here, I had posted over there asking if anyone has done a frame swap to a newer frame, I found a website that sells totaled vehicles and Im thinking it would be sweet to put a old suburban on a new frame with a duramax and a lot less work than trying to transplant everything plus you get the newer suspension. Any ideas? or has anyone done this?

are all the floors in the back made of wood?

I know this depends on a lot of factors but what kind on mileage would you expect on a stock 4x4.

Thanks everyone and I cant wait to get one too.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2007 GMC Yukon 4x4 (wife's)
gikken20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
gikken20

Re: pic request and a couple ?'s

Ok im an idiot, I forgot that there was the build thread put in and I just found Rokcrln's build thread, man that thing is sweet, has anyone else done anything like that?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Check out this one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...27#post2162227
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Grimpala

Just curious what the website is that sells the wrecked vehicles. I'm looking to do the exact same thing you're talking about. Might have a burb lined up, just need the chassis.
Grimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the board!

I think you'd do better finding the correct vintage chassis from this forum, than you would searching salvage yards. Since most salvage yards typically don't carry the old iron.

Check out the for sale section of this forum, there is a burb and blazer section dedicated to those models.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
gikken20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
Just curious what the website is that sells the wrecked vehicles. I'm looking to do the exact same thing you're talking about. Might have a burb lined up, just need the chassis.

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/

I've found a couple vehicles that I would like but I havent looked into the purchasing of them or how to go about doing so. If you end up getting one and doing the swap make sure to take lots of pics, im really interested in doing this also and Id like to see how it turns out. Best of luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Grimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikken20 View Post
http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/

I've found a couple vehicles that I would like but I havent looked into the purchasing of them or how to go about doing so. If you end up getting one and doing the swap make sure to take lots of pics, im really interested in doing this also and Id like to see how it turns out. Best of luck.
Thanks for the info. It shouldn't be too hard to mount the body. A single cab long bed truck wheelbase is only 6" longer than the old burb. Shorten the frame, then fab new body mounts, might have to alter the body a bit in a few places.

I'm thinking of looking for a crew cab or x-cab, since they'll likely have more options than the single cab, and then using the entire wiring harnessfor the burb, that way I get all the anti theft stuff, as well as all the options/controls and courtesy goodies.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
gikken20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
I'm thinking of looking for a crew cab or x-cab, since they'll likely have more options than the single cab, and then using the entire wiring harnessfor the burb, that way I get all the anti theft stuff, as well as all the options/controls and courtesy goodies.
Thats what I was thinking, I just havent been able to find anyone who has done it before. If you can find any info on someone who has done it I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Grimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikken20 View Post
Thats what I was thinking, I just havent been able to find anyone who has done it before. If you can find any info on someone who has done it I'd appreciate it.
There's one or two fellows I know of on the board here that are doing it. One guy is making a crew cab dually, can't remember what the other one is doing.

It looks pretty straight forward, have to make new cab mounts on the new frame, and the steering column linkage will need to be custom, other that that and getting all the wiring in the right place it shouldn't be too hard.

The hardest part that I can see is shortening the new frame. The single cab long bed trucks have a 6" longer wheelbase than the burb, the crew cab is that much longer. You have to make sure to cut the frame in the right place and in the right way so that when you weld it back together it's as strong or stronger than it was before.

One piece of good visual reference I found is the guys on 'Trucks' took a 66 long bed and made it a short bed. They had to cut 20" out of the frame. They didn't cut the frame straight through, they cut about halfway down it and then made a cut parallel with the ground for 12 - 16 inches then finished the cut to through the bottom of the frame. Then I think they might have boxed or plated the cut area.