The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
chillware

VIN decode help, confused?

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at my VIN again, since I've just looked at the cab again for the first time in about a year. So the VIN on the cab doesn't match the VIN on the frame at all, from what I've read it should at least partially match.

The VIN on the cab is C144 6Z155366 (see pic below) which I think I've properly decoded to 2WD 1/2 ton stepside shortbed pickup 1966 Fremont. All fine a dandy, only this isn't a step side pickup. Which I've been suspecting that the cab didn't belong to this frame because of weird things I've run in to on the frame along my build.

I *think* the frame is actually a '64 based on the 12 bolt rear end that's in it that had the old 17 spline axles and the '64 style panhard bar mount.

What I'm having trouble with is the VIN on the frame, it is H142946. It is clearly stamped and I'm positive that's exactly (and all) it says.. I cant figure out what the H is or what year it is? From what I've read I know it should only be the plant, year and serial number. But I can't find a plant code of H any place..

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
towersddg9

Re: VIN decode help, confused?

Chillware, I could'nt make sense of that vin, my 65 has the vin stamped on the frame in two locations driver side just rear of upper a arm and center area of cab, you got a great build going, great info on the mounts plus will be going with that same tank from CPP
towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
jocko

C144 6Z155366 = definitely a 66 1/2 ton 2wd shortbed, Fremont plant - I do believe there is no way to know by the VIN if it was step or fleet, only if it was short or long (i.e. your VIN could correctly be a stepside or a fleetside - but on SHORTbed frame)

H142946 = ugh. Dunno. I can't find anything from any year that starts with H... Not even a GMC frame any year 60-66.

My cab and frame VINS match - but towersddg9 mentioned something new to me, I've never seen the second frame stamp he mentioned (but I've never looked either!). Only one I've noticed on my frame (that matched) is when leaning down over the driver side fender looking straight down at the top of the frame C channel - kinda straight down from the alternator - and just fwd of the upper A-arm.

What was the location of the H142.... stamp?

Sorry, that's probably not much help...

Last edited by jocko; 02-16-2011 at 12:41 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
towersddg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
C144 6Z155366 = definitely a 66 1/2 ton 2wd shortbed, Fremont plant - I do believe there is no way to know by the VIN if it was step or fleet, only if it was short or long (i.e. your VIN could correctly be a stepside or a fleetside - but on SHORTbed frame)

H142946 = ugh. Dunno. I can't find anything from any year that starts with H... Not even a GMC frame any year 60-66.

My cab and frame VINS match - but towersddg9 mentioned something new to me, I've never seen the second frame stamp he mentioned (but I've never looked either!). Only one I've noticed on my frame (that matched) is when leaning down over the driver side fender looking straight down at the top of the frame C channel - kinda straight down from the alternator - and just fwd of the upper A-arm.

What was the location of the H142.... stamp?

Sorry, that's probably not much help...
Yep,
I got nothing on that "H" the two vin stamps on my frame are on the top one visible the other would be impossible to see without removal of the cab
towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
chillware

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersddg9 View Post
Chillware, I could'nt make sense of that vin, my 65 has the vin stamped on the frame in two locations driver side just rear of upper a arm and center area of cab, you got a great build going, great info on the mounts plus will be going with that same tank from CPP
My VIN stamps are in correct location here's pics of both of the locations..

It's a mutant frame! ugh, I wished I could find some info on it, weird!!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
jocko

that's just weird... As long as the title matches the cab vin, shouldn't matter though. That thing looks very clean chillware!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
chillware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
that's just weird... As long as the title matches the cab vin, shouldn't matter though. That thing looks very clean chillware!
Thx! Yeah the title matches the cab VIN so I'm good.. I was just hoping to figure out the wacky frame # .. makes no sense after about 6 hours of research I got nothing Maybe it's one of those rare one off prototypes that's worth like 100k! hah, that'd be something
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I wonder if it is a gmc frame?
h shows as oakland plant for gmc
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote