The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
HulkSmash

Washington New Guy Intro and Title Question

Hi all, glad to have found this site, I've been lurking on here for a while and just recently picked up my first truck of this generation. A 69 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd, I6, 3 on the Tree. This thing is in great shape and I love it. But being a long bed I like many of you, can't be satisfied with what I have. So last night I bought a 70 Chevy short box rolling frame that's already converted to disc brakes .

So here is my question. The kid I bought this from is keeping the cab and the box, selling me the frame and gave me the title. He wants me to give him a bill of sale for the cab so that when he goes to license his truck, using a frame that he had already restored, with title. That he has some kind of proof of ownership of the cab.

Wouldn't he have been better off keeping the title with the cab and given me a bill of sale, since the VIN tag on the cab is what poeple tend to look at.

I've owned alot of vehicles and I have never checked the #'s on a frame. I'm not even sure where to look.

And thanks for all the great info I'm going to be stealling from some of your build threads as I work on this thing.

Oh and I know I have a stupid user name, but I was struggling when I signed joined and thought it was kind of funny

J-rod
HulkSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Re: Washington New Guy Into and Title Question

Welp...welcome from another Washington member. As for your question, I had to read it a couple times to figure out all the swapping around. I do know that in the hot rod world, the title goes with the frame since body parts and cabs get swapped all the time. Lots of folks here smarter than me will be able to chime in and help you with where to find the frame numbers. Just wanted to hear my won voice and give you a welcome. Oh yeah....love the screen name.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
steelscout
Words under my name

Dont know the answer to your question....But Welcome from Washington State!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
HulkSmash

Thanks Guys.
Hoping to do a build thread on here soon.

Sorry, I reread it and yeah that's kind of confusing.

Basically, should I give the title back to the guy, and let it stay with the cab, since I already have a good title with my cab?
HulkSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Well now I want to know. Seems like you and the other fella should just go down to the DMV with titles in hand and tell them your story. Get it straight from the horses mouth. From what I hear it's a super no no to pull the vin tag off the cab. Something with the rivets where officials can tell if it's been tampered with.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Washington New Guy Intro and Title Question

Welcome to the forum HulkSmash.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Welcome from just a few miles away from you. You answered your own question, the title goes with the cab. However he needs to provide you with a bill of sale for the chassis. The vin numbers are stamped on the chassis on the of the left frame rail just below the cab. I would go to your local DMV with him just to make sure that you keep the paperwork strait. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
mr48chev

It might not hurt to type up a detailed bill of sale with all the info you think you need and get him to go with you and have it notarized too. Then even though you could probably get by without it, go have the truck inspected after the rebuild. This will document the frame change and might save a lot of grief for you or someone else down the road if the truck ever gets inspected again. It used to be that as long as the vin on the cab matched the vin on the title we and everyone else were happy but now days with so many shoddy rebuilt wrecks and stolen cars with swapped vin tags they are checking things real close especially if they get in a wreck.

For you all it would end up being is making an appointment with the state patrol inspection station and driving in with the truck, your title and the bill of sale for the frame with it's vin on it. Since he has a clear title to his truck the problem of where the frame came from isn't an issue. But if you had both titles and went to the dmv that would work too as then they would consider the other truck salvage and the title to the other truck would have been turned into the state and no worries for you there either.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote