The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
revjim

Need a cheap place to buy resto tools.

Where can I get sanding discs, wire, etc... for body prep...cheap...your suggestions???
revjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
MP33

Re: Need a cheap place to buy resto tools.

Harbor Freight maybe?? You said you wanted cheap.
MP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
revjim

yes...good idea...
revjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
KIC
1960 GMC Burb

Take a buddy with will power though, or you will be attending Harbor Freight Anonymous after spending all your money and then some. One time I went there to return a $40.00 item that I didn't need, and it cost me $150.00 to walk out the door. That place is addicting.

60 Burb Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1960+Suburban

60 to 66 Burbs only Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=burbs
2003 Tahoe LT
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

You should stick with name brand quality welding wire, such as Lincoln, Miller, or ESAB. Cheap welding wire can 'cause a lot of headaches... not all wire is created equal.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

A lot of people have said on here to not buy the cheap cut off wheels from Harbor Freight. They say they blow up easier. I had a stack, that I figured I would use up, then buy some better ones.

A couple of weekends ago, I needed to cut a bolt, and the brand new disk exploded, before I even touched anything. Luckily no-one got hurt, but I threw the other ones away, and bought some from Lowes. One of the pieces put a heck of a dent in the sheetrock 20' away across the garage.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
A lot of people have said on here to not buy the cheap cut off wheels from Harbor Freight. They say they blow up easier. I had a stack, that I figured I would use up, then buy some better ones.

A couple of weekends ago, I needed to cut a bolt, and the brand new disk exploded, before I even touched anything. Luckily no-one got hurt, but I threw the other ones away, and bought some from Lowes. One of the pieces put a heck of a dent in the sheetrock 20' away across the garage.
I hear ya. Hhaving worked in welding / fab shops for the past 30 years I have seen some pretty horrific injuries as well as near misses related to grinding and cut off wheels. One place I worked a guy was wearing a full face shield and a grinding disc came apart. A chunk of the wheel embedded itself into the acrylic shield! I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it myself.

When grinding or using a cut-off wheel I have been using those full face shields and safety glasses both ever since. Belt and suspenders.

I buy my grinding consumables at Home Depot.. have never had a problem.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
jocko

chevy man, you're making me wonder the quality of my "stack of 100 cutoff wheels for $2" from the hairy guy at the car show..... CRIPES!

I'd have to agree. This stuff falls into the "you get what you pay for" category, but I think it can be a hard decision at times when it comes to 'consumables'. In other words, I've got no problem paying extra $ for a nice, quality body dinging hammer made by Martin because I'll keep it forever, but when it comes to sandpaper and grinding disks, it can be hard to choose the brand names because they are quite a bit more expensive than some of the cheapies that they "look" just like. But the performance really is different in most cases. I do a little woodworking sometimes, and truer words have never been said - the cheapo sandpaper ends up costing more in the long run because you use 10 times as much to sand the same area or you give up and go buy the good stuff in the end anyway to finish it.

KIC, I'm with you - I have to enter HF with my credit card still in the truck and only $50 in my pocket or I walk out with a thousand things I don't need or will never use. It's like crack for truckers.

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
MP33

He said cheap, not good. i agree buy
MP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
jocko

revjim - sorry, I never answered your question, I just rambled. As for cutoff wheels and grinding disks, I usually buy dewalt stuff like that from home depot or lowes. They are not too expensive but not the cheapest either.

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
jocko

Smile Re: Need a cheap place to buy resto tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP33 View Post
He said cheap, not good. i agree buy
Good point. I digressed.