The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Power Coated Inner Fenders?

Has anyone had their inner fenders powder coated – and if so, how have they held up? I had my grille support and vent panel powdered years ago and they looked perfect a decade later. But I also had my tailgate powder coated and it was almost ruined within a year by rust that formed under the powder coating. I believe this was because there were too many nooks and crevices where the powder didn’t reach. Not sure if that would be a problem on inner fenders or not.

Looking for any experiences good or bad. Thanks.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
kart34

Re: Power Coated Inner Fenders?

I'm coating mine .. a good profile blast with a phosphate wash , then an epoxy powdercoat primer with a tgic topcoat. They should last a long time.
kart34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would say the issue with your tailgate is just as you said. Since the powder is applied electrostatically, it is very difficult to get into the small cracks and creavaces that can be found on a tailgate, without creating a run adjacent to that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Has anyone had their inner fenders powder coated – and if so, how have they held up? I had my grille support and vent panel powdered years ago and they looked perfect a decade later. But I also had my tailgate powder coated and it was almost ruined within a year by rust that formed under the powder coating. I believe this was because there were too many nooks and crevices where the powder didn’t reach. Not sure if that would be a problem on inner fenders or not.

Looking for any experiences good or bad. Thanks.

You do appear to be quite experienced in state of the are powder coating. However, it is highly unlikely to find one of the powder coaters in this area willing to take those extra steps towards a more durable finish. I believe Mark had most if not all of his parts coated by who I consider to be the best powder coater in this area. But he doesn't believe in going any further than a good media blast, and two coats of powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart34 View Post
I'm coating mine .. a good profile blast with a phosphate wash , then an epoxy powdercoat primer with a tgic topcoat. They should last a long time.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Hey markeb01, I've seen chrome inners listed at some parts suppliers!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
jimmydean

I phosphate was all my gear before powder, but have never done a sealer. I mostly use UV resistant polyester powders. I would love to check out your shop, not sure I'll ever get up to the frozen tundra, though.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Mike Bradbury

I have done quite a bit of parts in powder and the company I use, upon request will zinc coat after sand blast and before powder. Even if I get some chips I will not get rust issues. All of the parts fo my suspension have been zinced first
Posted via Mobile Device

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I believe Mark had most if not all of his parts coated by who I consider to be the best powder coater in this area. But he doesn't believe in going any further than a good media blast, and two coats of powder.
That is correct. All my GMC parts were done by United (I think they are called something else now). The tailgate was the only thing that didn't work out. After we moved to the valley I had a local outfit do a set of wheels for my wifes truck - what a waste of money. They didn't even coat the area inside the wheel where the tire fits. Never again. If I do have the inner fenders powder coated I'll be going back over to Mr. Dependable in Idaho!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What I've done on some wheels that I've had powder coated, is use a little urethane clear on the seam where the center meets the rim. This is another area that is hard to get the powder in, and is subject to rusting. Mark, you might call and talk to Larry and see what kind of deal he'll make you on re- powdering your tailgate. Then maybe seal the seams like I did on my wheels.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote