The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
blackdiesel

How bad did Grandpa get screwed?? '54 chevy 5 window

Sorry the pics aren't the best, they were taken with my cell phone.

I just got back from a little trip with my grandpa, he bought this '54 swb chevy 5 window. Its a 30 year old restoration, fresh 235, later model transmission (still 3 on the tree), open driveshaft and later model rear end. Its not for sale, just wondering what y'all think it would sell for in your neck of the woods.

but the best part is it gets me off the hook from building his (very solid) '54 3 window thats setting in the shop in pieces!
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
one wing angel

Re: How bad did Grandpa get screwed?? '54 chevy 5 window

Hey there, thats a great looking truck. It,s pretty hard to make a qualified guess as to what it might be worth without seeing it in person,but you probably already know that. In my neck of the woods, those old A.D. trucks are getting pretty scarce, especially in the condition that your Grandpa,s is in. Around here a truck in that shape would start around 4 to $5,000. and go up from there. It,s really worth whatever your Grandpa paid for it as long as he is happy with it! Enjoy John
one wing angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
blackdiesel

Oh I know it's worth what two guys agree on, I thought it would be fun just to see what every one thought it would bring in their region. Not going to hurt my fillings, it wasn't my cash. I told him he couldn't get his old truck (that's in peices) to this point for what he payed for it, but you can always buy one less than you can biuld it.
'57 2wd change
Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
alden

I could see that going for anywhere from $5k on the low end to around $12k on the high end around here. It looks like your Grandfather picked up a cool little truck!
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
blackdiesel

The 85 year old man has had it (built it) since 1971. The truck has NO rust. He has a 52 GMC 5 window, 270 4 speed that he is asking 3k for. Dad thought about getting it, but the rear fenders were a little rough and it is a long wheel base. He was looking at it to paint and sell. It was worth that but not a real good buy. He had two other AD 5 windows SWB trucks there that are straight and little to no rust that we're wanting, but one is his sons and the others his grandsons. They haven't been worked on in years, but looked like you could put in batterys and drive them off. He is supposed to call us back after he talks to them. The plans on this gold truck is to paint it dark blue and stock wheels with caps and rings and drive it.
'57 2wd change

Last edited by blackdiesel; 02-20-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
OrrieG

Nice clean driver that will only be worth more in the future. For whatever he paid for it he could not get a "modern" truck that would hold the value. If I saw him driving it, I would assume he bought it a long time ago and took good care of it. There is a couple in my neighborhood that drive a 57 Caddy as their DD. They got it when they got tired of the depreciation and maintenance costs of their "new" cars. It has a hitch so they can pull the small Airstream they have.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

He got screwed. It isn't a 54. Its a 55S1.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
PurdueSD

It has 55 side hood badges and looks like a 55 horn button.

Is it a torque tube or open driveline? Open driveline is 55.

Looks like a fun driver! i would ditch the sliding back window and rallys and drive the wheels off!

Last edited by PurdueSD; 02-21-2011 at 05:56 PM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
blackdiesel

The old man removed the closed driveline in favor of a later model outfit. I too would ditch the wheels and sliding rear window in favor of something a little more simple looking. But to be honest i wouldnt have it if it was given to me... I'm a TF guy
'57 2wd change
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSD View Post
Looks like a fun driver! i would ditch the sliding back window and rallys and drive the wheels off!
Not me I dig the 70's rodder look, but heck I'm an old fart too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
mr48chev

As a couple of others said, it's a who's selling it Who's buying it kind of deal. If your granddad is happy then the price was probably fair to both. With a body that looks really straight and solid there are guys out there who would have paid a premium for the truck just to get a prime start for a project these days. There would be enough left overs to sell to get a fair amount of the price back and reinvest it in the truck.

It's rare to see one of those old dealer installed bumpers that hasn't had a scab or two welded on it but I think I would still put a chrome 54 rear bumper on it. The slider isn't the best looking thing but on a hot summer day almost every one of us wishes he had a bit more air flow through the truck if it doesn't have air in it so that may be worth more in function than it looses in looks.

Go over it with him and make sure everything is in tip top shape as far as brakes, fuel system and electrical including doing something with the loose wires under the dash and make sure that it is fully safe for him to drive without safety problems and wind him up and turn him loose.

My 48 went to the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 on it's first trip to a car show with a fresh paint job almost that color and a set of 69 Z28 rally wheels so I rather like the look.
'

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-21-2011 at 09:10 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
blackdiesel

OH and by the way he gave 6k for it. Like said not a steal but you cant take a barn yard truck and make it run for that.
'57 2wd change
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
Atomsplitter

I like it, it`s simple and almost original. Cool Grandpa you got there!
The PO obviously didn`t have the eye for detail that most guys on here would because we know these trrucks inside and out.
It has a period visor, the condition looks good and it appears to be all there. The rims are basic but they are cheap and plentiful!
Simple changes I would do first would be to turn the front tires on the rims so they are both black, that white wall sticks out like a sore thumb. Ditch the mirrors for something more understated as the Mack Truck 3-points are a bit to big. Swap out the slider and window rubbers on the back 3 windows to be replaced with the deluxe trim seals as they have the chrome bead that will match the doors and windshield. Tinted windows will help it keep cooler too!
If he gets bored in the next few years, consider completing the interior, and possibly lowering it a bit!
It will never be a show winner, except for maybe the furthest distance travelled, it`s a driver plane and simple....enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 02-22-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
blackdiesel

Grandpa's 57 is to nice to grive like he does (haul feed, salt, etc.) So he wanted one to do that that isnt as nice and that he didnt have to spend 45k for. I will have to paint it this summer. And yes the back glasses will come out and get the chrome trim and new rubbers. The ralley wheels will go soon, but he won't let me lower it. The wood in the bed is good... but doesnt have the right stips holding it down but it will do. He has more than he can drive, but he tries between his 57 2dr hardtop belair, his 57 truck, his 51 ford coupe, and now this truck. He has a 57 four door that needs a tranny put back in it (he's been after me for 2 years to do it) and his 57 GMC dump truck he wants me to rebuild the wheel cylinder on. He would keep me busy all the time if I would do it. But to be honest his labor rates arent the best!! haha
'57 2wd change
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
OH and by the way he gave 6k for it. Like said not a steal but you cant take a barn yard truck and make it run for that.
From what I can see he got a super deal. Looks like a nice truck, and I like his plans for it too. Do a few things to it and use it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
mr48chev

At six K I don't think he got hurt in the least and the seller still came out all right on it. I've seen guys ask all most as much for non running trucks that need everything.

Here is one for comparison and I would rather have the one your Grandad got by a whole bunch http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
bobinbc

Nice truck and a good deal. I have a lot more $$$ than that in my pile-o'- parts and it's a loooong way from running

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote