The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
SS317

Ideas for my AC unit

I have this AC unit in my truck. It looks like everything for the system is there except the compressor. Hoses, condenser, everything. The unit even turns on and blows air in the cab.
I can't find any information on this thing. I looked up the original company and tried to contact a few people there but don't get any love.
I traded a few emails with classic auto air and they are saying between 800 and 900 bucks to get me a compressor and change out the condenser. Does that sound right?
Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to find some specifications on the unit somewhere so I can match up a compressor. I don't really know much about A/C so any input is welcome.
Sean
Attached Images

SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
scotts62
One day...

Re: Ideas for my AC unit

Hey OKC and ive never heard of them

I would think if the fittings were right that any condenser and comp would work but thats just my thinking's.

93 crew cab build
Project 62

Last edited by scotts62; 02-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
chevyrestoguy

Google "Frigette under-dash air conditioner" and there are a bunch of info on them.

The next time you're near the truck, take a picture of under the hood. I would like to see what the hose ends look like at the missing compressor. This will tell you what type of compressor you need. A lot of the aftermarket kits used a compressor that looks very similar to the pump on your compressor, whereas the stock GM versions like the A6 type are long and cylindrical and painted black.

At a minimum, I would definately change out the receiver/dryer (cheap) and replace all the accessable o-rings in the hoses. Flush the condensor with denatured alcohol and compressed air. The POA valve usually goes bad if it's sitting open for awhile, so you might want to price those. An R-12 POA valve will work with an R-134 system, but the R-134 systems will work a little better with an R-134 specific valve. The low pressure side on the R-134 systems need to be a slightly lower than the R-12 systems, but you're just cooling the cab, and it should be OK with whatever valve you find.

When you're all together, you'll need to get access to pull a vacuum on the system and look for leaks. Usually, leaks are either a bad o-ring at the connection on the hose, or a bad hose itself.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
trevrolet65

Need to see where the liquid line (little line) comes in to see what metering device you have. If cap tube, buy new at autozone or o'rielly's. If TXV, might be a little difficult. Get some flush, but don't use compressed air dew to the moisture content (mostly water) use nitrogen to flush. And yes, need hose connection pics for compressor fitment. In Texas we have to have A/C. There are a lot of aftermarket stuff out there. It might be just as easy to get a new complete after market setup. Might save headaches in the long run, like clooged lines, leaks, mismatched compressor issues and thus. Hope this helps.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
kieth

all the street rod guys use those, they are correct for the period. My 66 GMC only came with dealer add on air, no factory air available like those high falooten chevrolets. If you decide to go all n ew I would be interested in the unit. Thanks, Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote