The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
wldcat10

Taking my truck to emissions today, Need help!

Ok I'm taking my '70 to emissions today after I get out of work. I need some help or suggestions on what I should do before heading over there. Last time I took it, it failed the Carbon Monoxide part, it passed the rest. I have heard to run it for about 30 miles or on the highway so that the engine can get hot. I think last time it was my fault because I was in a hurry to get it done and went straight from my house to emissions (5-6 miles away from my house) and it failed. I have never failed to pass emissions except this last time! I was really surprised and po'd! So is there anything else I should do other than run it for 30+ miles to get it hot? I always put 87 in my truck, Should I put in higher grade of gas? Should I drop in a bottle of one of those gas treatment or "guranteed to pass emissions" into the tank? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
lil hoodlum

Re: Taking my truck to emissions today, Need help!

This may not be much help but we have emission testing here too. Being that my truck is older than 25 years it is exempt from testing but I used to have an 1986 Mazda 626 that had to pass testing. It failed one time and the testing guy said I could replace the gas cap and it might help. I went across the street to Oreilys and bought a new gas cap. They retested and oddly enough it passed. So every year after that I replaced the gas cap.

You may also try changing the oil and replacing the spark plugs and wires. But I also heard the same thing about getting the engine nice and hot before testing. I guess it gives the motor time to "burn" off some the crud in the internals???

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Take your timing light with you and on your way down just out of sight of the emission station and retard the timing 5 or 8 degrees or however much you can and still have enough power to pull itself. Good luck, Roger
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldcat10 View Post
Ok I'm taking my '70 to emissions today after I get out of work. I need some help or suggestions on what I should do before heading over there. Last time I took it, it failed the Carbon Monoxide part, it passed the rest. I have heard to run it for about 30 miles or on the highway so that the engine can get hot. I think last time it was my fault because I was in a hurry to get it done and went straight from my house to emissions (5-6 miles away from my house) and it failed. I have never failed to pass emissions except this last time! I was really surprised and po'd! So is there anything else I should do other than run it for 30+ miles to get it hot? I always put 87 in my truck, Should I put in higher grade of gas? Should I drop in a bottle of one of those gas treatment or "guranteed to pass emissions" into the tank? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated!
I thought anything 35 years or older didn't need to pass emisions, or is that different inb every State?
Here in California, there's no worries.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
justtime520

Lean out the carb a little and put a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank and fill it up. Thats how i got my truck to pass when i had worn rings. Just took emissions two weeks ago, made sure the carb was tuned right and passed with flying colors<----- new engine this year that doesnt smoke.
justtime520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
jlane_87

Were you able to pass? I'm just up in Tempe and have taken two of these trucks through emissions in the last few years. Both trucks failed the first time. Just in case you failed the first time around:

As has been said, getting it up to operating temp is important, but you also don't want it to get too hot. On the K10 I had, I had to take it in near summer time when it was already getting hot and it failed. All I did to make it pass was go back in the morning when it was a little cooler outside, shorter lines, and kept the hood open while waiting in line. My understanding from my uncle who is a mechanic is that from sitting in line so long in the heat, the gas was boiling in the carb allowing unmetered fuel to burn. But since its still cool out right now, you probably won't have that problem.

I also failed when I first bought my C10 I have now. The motor was worn out, smoking all over the place, and not running that great. So I replaced the plugs, wires, adjusted the timing, and found that I had a vacuum leak from the power brake booster, causing me to fail the idle test. Put a new booster on there and it passed even though it filled the whole building up with smoke.
jlane_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
barryvanhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
I thought anything 35 years or older didn't need to pass emisions, or is that different inb every State?
AZ is tougher ... anything from 1967 or newer must be smogged annually (unless is really new, then the time is longer). If you have collector insurance, you avoid the sniffer.

Barry
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
kq4pc

Just wanted to comment on a bottle of rubbing alchol,have used it,it works. Bobby
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
billsc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldcat10 View Post
Try running seafoam through it. That has always worked for me. You can get it at autozone napa just about anywhere. are you running a thermostat ? that makes a big difference too. I know out here there's alot of guys that don't and find out that it doesn't do what they think it does. That's apache junction for ya though. anyway, try leaning her out a little and add the seafoam to a full tank. you should float on through.
billsc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
billsc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
here in arizona, everything from 1967 and newer has to go through.
billsc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Gobbles

Methyl hydrate can help, it takes moisture out of your gas. Also, put some "clean" fuel in. Up here its called Husky or Mowhawk gas, it is a greener gas, can't remember why but it burns nicer.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
jwgeorge

Yep, Good old AZ, I lived in Tucson for 10 years and fought with my 77 F-250 every flippin' time! The last time I left the vaccuum line to the PVC disconnected and it flew right through emissions. The vacuum leak brings fresh air into the system and helps I guess. I've done the alcohol trick to the point where I was running more than 50% denatured alcohol and it dang near vapor-locked constantly. I don't recommend alcohol. Try the vacuum line trick, pull the biggest vacuum line off, not the one to the brake booster, and let it rest close to where you pulled it so they don't notice it.
Usually late in the day during a warm/hot day the techs at the station don't care they just want to get it over with. Thanks Texas for the rolling 25-year exemption!

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns and those who dig."
jwgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
69sixpackbee

I thought living in Cali sucks but you guys are getting hosed...
Throw a cat on it (with flanges) and then take it off after the test.
That'll work. It got to the point that I was tired of buying another cheapie ($350.00) cat converter for the "new" test in Cali so I got an old one and gutted it to run around for two years and right before I go for my check I bolt it in. Keeps from getting degraded and having to cough up another 3+ bills for another.
And besides, it just runs better
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

BTW, while this may not go into effect, and it may not help the OP this time around, a new bill is in front of the AZ Senate that would exempt vehicles older than 25 yrs. old from emissions testing.

Senate Bill HB 1324

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
barryvanhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
AZ is tougher ... anything from 1967 or newer must be smogged annually (unless is really new, then the time is longer). If you have collector insurance, you avoid the sniffer.

Barry
Ooops ... my mistake ... make that every 2 years. I was thinking about my bike.

Barry
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That's crazy that a 67-72 has to be tested in AZ. When I lived out there it seemed like it was anything goes (30 or so years ago) and back in Maryland the laws were tight. Now it's the other way.
On my later stuff,when I'm concerned I put some racing fuel in. I had a '99 ZR1 and when it needed cats (3),I torched them out and it still passed.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
Ooops ... my mistake ... make that every 2 years. I was thinking about my bike.

Barry
SMog check on a bike!!!!
WTF is next. hanging a cat on your poopchute exit to de-tune flatulence??
Absurd....

Last edited by 69sixpackbee; 02-24-2011 at 07:49 PM.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
todd99

WTF? I've lived in Arizona for over a year now, both my vehicles are registered here and this is the first I've heard of smog'ing. I checked the DMV website and you guys are right. How did I manage to get registration and insurance without a smog?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd99 View Post
WTF? I've lived in Arizona for over a year now, both my vehicles are registered here and this is the first I've heard of smog'ing. I checked the DMV website and you guys are right. How did I manage to get registration and insurance without a smog?
it varies by location within the state. my dad lives in havasu and no emissions check is required there.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
todd99

Oh, I'm in Prescott. Is it by county?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #21
Beat68CST

Pretty sure it's the most strict in Maricopa county.

But, nothin like 5 gallons of VP110 to get her to pass and run like a champ!

Anyone ever try sprayin WD 40 in the exhaust right before you pull in?
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Maybe tape a 20 dollar bill to the exhaust tip where he can see it before he puts the sniffer in?

We dont have to have stuff that old tested in Washington and in the city where I live we dont have any smog testing for any vehicles new or old. (I probably just jinxed it)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #23
jwgeorge

Wldcat10, Let us know how you get it to pass! Good Luck!!

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns and those who dig."
jwgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #24
Robertjust777

are any of your motors high performance? or have to big of a cam?
Robertjust777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
barryvanhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd99 View Post
Oh, I'm in Prescott. Is it by county?
Just in Maricopa and Pima counties ... and only Maricopa for bikes. (That's Phoenix and Tucson, respectively, for those of you from elsewhere).

Barry