The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Tmwoodall

Repairing Frame Paint

So the story in a nutshell is this: I started a frame off when I was 17, with more want-to than know how. I stripped via wire wheels the entire frame. I primed it and it looked great, only to find huge flakes in the primer the following day.

Turns out you have to degrease metal, espcially 35 year old previously grease and grime soaked metal, prior to painting.

So I let it set and scraped and took off everything that wasn't cured and bonded REALLY well. Degreased and painted it.

Roll forward 7 years and I had to abandon the project for college, and then not having a garage. I just had it delivered a few weeks ago, and am taking it back to frame off to redo some of my previous progress. Turns out a few more smatterings have found there way into flaking off as it sat. At this point I suspect anything that it is going to loose it's bond, has lost it.

So my question is this, on the flakes what is the best way to repaint them? Sand down the edges around the flakes in an attempt to feather it? Use a thick primer to make up the depth? Tape it off right along the edges and just shoot it?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: Repairing Frame Paint

sandblast it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
cableguy0

If your working with a bare frame. Just take the whole thing back down to metal. Get yourself some wax and grease remover and then wipe the entire thing down before you try to paint it. Depending on what your looking for. You would probably be better off to just send it out to be powder coated. They will sandblast and clean the entire frame before coating. Paint scratches way too easily especially on a frame. Putting painted parts together is nerve racking. I would call around you might be surprised at how cheap you can get it blasted and powder coated.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Tmwoodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
If your working with a bare frame. Just take the whole thing back down to metal. Get yourself some wax and grease remover and then wipe the entire thing down before you try to paint it. Depending on what your looking for. You would probably be better off to just send it out to be powder coated. They will sandblast and clean the entire frame before coating. Paint scratches way too easily especially on a frame. Putting painted parts together is nerve racking. I would call around you might be surprised at how cheap you can get it blasted and powder coated.
I am not taking it totally back to bare frame. I already have the brakes finished, the suspension installed and set and the motor/tranny in place. The paint I used, though not nearly as durable as powder would be I think will suit my needs. I used a tracter enamel with a hardener in it. Where it is stuck, it is stuck REALLY well. It doesn't scratch that easily either.

I am more looking to fix my mistakes than start from scratch on this one. I had in mind either buying a quart of the same stuff, or using Por15, or Eastwood's frame enamel on the affected areas.

With that in mind, anyone have guidance/suggestions?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
skip99

scrape what you can and use the por..
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
68Driver

If its in the budget, blast it and powder coat it. You'll never touch it again!
68Driver is offline   Reply With Quote