The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
ibad57

Fuel suppy question

Im looking to install TPI on my 57 chevy and bought this surge tank from Cx Racing but it came with no info on mounting or line set up does it matter which way the fittings face when mounting unit? and could some one address the fittings? I emailed the company but no responce yet!
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
ibad57

Re: Fuel suppy question

Where are all the helpful Hot Rodders Im use to dealing with Brain freeze from this past winter???
some one has to have installed a surge tank!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I can only make some educated guesses and assume none of the fittings have tubes welded on the inside???

Opinion.... The surge tank is supposed to be mounted standing up, the BOTTOM fitting will be for your EFI pump. The others will not be that critical of what goes where once you purge the system of air. Your biggest enemy with a system like this is aerating the fuel with the lines all entering in a close proximity. ANY air in the EFI fuel system is going to cause BIG issues. I have never dealt with bubbles in the fuel entering the EFI pump but I suspect you are going to be able to tell us how it works

This is a band-aid you realize? BUT a very economic way to get things going. I would never rely on this to be the end solution to your fuel delivery system,, but a band-aid to get under way.

The proper way to do it is a custom EFI tank with baffles and an intank pump.
In fact Ricks Tanks makes one just for the 57. Stainless so you will NEVER have to worry about rust, Stock GM type intake pump available at any parts house, an-6 or -8 fittings, (or adapters an- to tube if you prefer) These are WAY over the top tanks but a VERy nice, custom fit and finish piece. I used on in my 67 Camino for the EFI and couldn't be happier.

Ricks tanks for the 57 are available at Jeggs

I know, that $1000 price tag is enough st set you back on your butt. But fuel slosh / loosing power in a hard corner causing a loss of control makes it a sound investment.

My best suggestion is do it right he first time.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 02-27-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
stich626
Account Suspended

why do you feel you need one..
TPI a return is all the factory gave it..
also why two pumps?
one pump should be more than enough..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Because he has no baffles in the stock tank / cell. Uncover the pickup even for a milisecond in a FI motor and it doesn't work out too well.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote